Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Making/finding Mechanical Coin Mechanism (does not need to be super secure)  (Read 3446 times)

charlottecreature

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2018, 07:18:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So I'm currently working on a grant proposal for a ticket dispensing machine. It would sit on a desk and look like a really old school ticket machine (I'm a woodcarver/artist by trade so that bit I can nail). The tickets would come out with a little picture of the library/historic site it is located in. I'm currently working to the gumball wheel turning design but I can change that if really necessary.

Now here is where I'm coming into problems

First I'm Australian. I want it to be it to be super cheap (10 cents per ticket) because it is a public art piece (thus needs to be affordable to the public). No commercially available coin mechanism seems to go into that small an amount for Australia. I've tried looking but it's either all American dimes or up to the 1 dollar Australia.

Second it really needs to be mechanical not electrical, because at the end of the day the person who is going to be replacing tickets and fixing jams are going to be shop owners or librarians aka people who are not running arcades and don't have electrical experience. I can be on hand to fix major issues but on a day to day bases they'll need to be able to fix most problems on there own.

As I said in the title it doesn't need to be super secure because it's going to be on a desk (also they are literally worth 10 cents soooo) But it does need to be strong and sensible.

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before or if this ain't the right space but I couldn't find anywhere else to ask. Please Help!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
I think your best bet would be a comparator mech.
They are electrical but only low voltage so no special knowledge is required once its set up and working.

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Comparable-Coin-Mech.html

charlottecreature

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2018, 07:18:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thank You! Looking into it right now :)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
 Old jukes used coin mechs that would take multiple dominations  you would need the credit unit too to make it work.... That's a pretty advanced electrical/mechanical prospect however to make it reliable.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Thank You! Looking into it right now :)

Your welcome :)