Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lost in Space  (Read 24631 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Lost in Space
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »
I know the definition of words, thanks, maybe you need lessons in comprehension. I was asking him to explain how something could be 'glaringly distracting' and not bothersome to him. My point being it obviously bothered him, he was just trying to use what he considered a less abrasive description.
My comprehension is on point. I just don't try to alter things that people type to fit my narrative. It's entirely possible it was distracting him from enjoying the show without him being a card carrying member of the Klan.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2018, 05:33:16 pm »

Not sure where you picked up they weren't AWD, I just assumed they were.

They weren't going to an alien world, they were going to an established colony, they crashed on this world. Also it's shown later that they 3D print their weapons.

Watch them next time when they are stuck or spinning out, only back wheels spin.
maybe these were designed to ride around alpha centuri and pick up chicks.

One more thing I thought of.
When john was driving the threaded pipes in the ground with a hammer, to mount the fence to, he was beating pretty hard and the robot even had to finish the job for him.
Now Im sure every one on here has beaten on the end of a pipe for some reason or another, but after doing that, were the threads still so perfect that you could easily start the female threaded part like John had no trouble doing?
Ive been an electrician all my life and have driven many ground rods, the end of the rod looks like a mushroom when you get done with it, and they are solid.
Looks like they would have had an electrician or plumber on the set that would have said, hey you cant do that!
Or maybe the pipes were made out of some kind of super hard alloy, found only in the far reaches of space? Then one has to wonder how they threaded it?
It looked like a regular galvanized pipe like the kind you can get at Loews.
Maybe just another thing we need to ignore and just scream about when the next season is coming out?

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 05:35:18 pm »
I know the definition of words, thanks, maybe you need lessons in comprehension. I was asking him to explain how something could be 'glaringly distracting' and not bothersome to him. My point being it obviously bothered him, he was just trying to use what he considered a less abrasive description.
My comprehension is on point. I just don't try to alter things that people type to fit my narrative. It's entirely possible it was distracting him from enjoying the show without him being a card carrying member of the Klan.

For the record I haven't accused anyone of being racist... at all. Nor did I alter any of his words and I have no narrative.

I was simply pointing out that he wasn't being very open minded about the inclusion of an ethnic character and seemed to oddly have a knee jerk negative reaction to it. That doesn't make him a racist, it's a sort of soft bias that you find people mentioning more and more these days. It's more selfish than anything like 'I want these characters to be exactly as I prefer them so they fit my taste or it distracts me'. What one person sees as 'diversity for diversities sake' is another persons window into the story through a character they can truly relate to, it's a diverse world and becoming moreso by the day. Why is it so distracting, in this telling of the story the Robinson's have a black daughter, big deal. I still haven't heard what was so distracting about this character if it wasn't just the fact that she was black, was it the acting, was it the personality, do tell.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:36:51 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 05:46:52 pm »
I think the only thing really distracting about her is that she's an attractive 18 year old. The distracting part is that I feel a bit creepy for thinking so.  :dunno

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 05:48:36 pm »
I think the only thing really distracting about her is that she's an attractive 18 year old. The distracting part is that I feel a bit creepy for thinking so.  :dunno

:laugh2:

Also there was a vibe with her and the pilot dude and he seemed way too old.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 06:00:30 pm »
Watch them next time when they are stuck or spinning out, only back wheels spin.
maybe these were designed to ride around alpha centuri and pick up chicks.

...It looked like a regular galvanized pipe like the kind you can get at Loews.

Didn't catch that, that's lame, they'd have to be AWD. They definitely look cool, you could attract some fine alpha centuri tail with that ride. The stakes are adamantium, duh. :lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 08:05:27 pm »
Please.  I'm a Democrat.  I vote Democrat almost exclusively because they are the party of civil liberties and therefore I am actively attempting to make the lives of minorities better.  Some of you guys have turned sjw and haven't realized it yet. 

As Malenko says, distracting just means distracting....as in I noticed it and it took me out of the story for a while.  If you'd actually read my reply the issue I had with it was it unnecessarily complicating the plot and indeed introduced a plot hole as it would be very difficult for Mrs. Robinson to have had a kid that was basically a stair-step from the other kids in age without something funny going on.  In the first episode I assumed she was adopted and kept waiting for the flash back and when it never came I then thought maybe it was something scandalous like she cheated on her husband and when the reveal was finally "she's from before I was in the picture" I thought, "wait a minute that doesn't add up". 

So again, DaOldMan said it was distracting and a plot hole and 8BitMonk kind of jumped on him for it.  I wasn't going to even bring it up because it wasn't THAT big of a deal but I sure as hell wasn't going to let someone get ran through the coals for simply saying it was a plot hole when it WAS a plot hole.

Anyway you idgits can think what you want about me but you'd think from years of discussions you'd know better. 

I liked the show, it's not without issues but I liked it.  If you want to watch something it's a good show to watch.  Please shut up about the rest of it, cause I'm done  and you'd only be talking about someone that isn't going to revisit the thread and therfore is incabale of defening themselves. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 12:13:53 am »
He’d vote a third time for Obama if he could.

;)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 06:35:14 am »

He. I see lots of 'mens special interest' movies with many an 18 year old in it. Never felt creepy  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 09:25:01 am »
I thought the front wheels of those vehicles were spinning when they were lashed to the Jupiter while sucking the fuel?
Also, who didn't see that dude wiping out after he declared he could hang-10?

There are somethings that surprise me still then there are others where i see it coming 10 mins. early.
"dr smith" - that chick has serious issues.
Probably explains how she's smart enough to mind-F everyone and learn psychology techniques from a book.

But, I like it.
I watch TV for entertainment.
This entertains me.
If I wanted high quality scifi/fantasy i'll read a book.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 09:26:41 am »

:laugh2:

The pilot dude would disagree with you.
which fits his character perfectly.
Also, she's a Dr. so that makes her at least 25 in smugler yrs.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 11:54:52 am »
I love it when purveyors of moral outrage turn on each other.  Please continue.

RE: "They print their guns"

Apparently, they don't.  With danger at every turn, from creatures which are biologically superior in the size and pointy parts departments, only the robot was smart enough to print one.  The whole "we are too intelligent to have to use a gun" vibe was ludicrous at best.

And, it was nearly comical how the robot could have prevented just about every problem they experienced after they guilted the kid into destroying it.

That said, it was a fun ride and I'll still watch the next season.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:19:54 pm by RandyT »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 01:39:21 pm »
I thought the front wheels of those vehicles were spinning when they were lashed to the Jupiter while sucking the fuel?

I may have missed it. Been known to do that before.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 01:48:26 pm »

I figure there will be a romance between those two. probably a throw back to the original series, Judy and Don West had a thing for each other, but back then when morality ruled,
they would only hold hands and go on walks. (i always wondered what they did on those walks LOL). In one (original) episode, John and Maureen even talked that they may have to perform a wedding.
What was really weird was the pedophile (at least gay) Smith was allowed to go off on adventures with the young Will Robinson.
And West hated Smith, Smith woke him first from the freeze tubes while the robot was tearing up the ship. West never trusted him. probably figured Smith had something to do with it.
Im glad penny is getting a lot more attention on this new series, on the original she didnt get a lot of focus. The Robot, Will, and Smith were the main ones.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 03:59:05 pm »

I figure there will be a romance between those two. probably a throw back to the original series, Judy and Don West had a thing for each other, but back then when morality ruled,
they would only hold hands and go on walks. (i always wondered what they did on those walks LOL). In one (original) episode, John and Maureen even talked that they may have to perform a wedding.
What was really weird was the pedophile (at least gay) Smith was allowed to go off on adventures with the young Will Robinson.
And West hated Smith, Smith woke him first from the freeze tubes while the robot was tearing up the ship. West never trusted him. probably figured Smith had something to do with it.
Im glad penny is getting a lot more attention on this new series, on the original she didnt get a lot of focus. The Robot, Will, and Smith were the main ones.

fun Easter egg I just read about.
the real Dr. smith in the first or second episode was played by the original Will Robinson from the old series.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »
Really? I though that guy looked familiar.
Just a little useless info: Bill Mummy also played the future, grown up Will on the Lost in Space movie, that starred that Friends guy as Don West.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »
Please shut up about the rest of it, cause I'm done  and you'd only be talking about someone that isn't going to revisit the thread and therfore is incabale of defening themselves.

Shame you won't be around to hear Malenko deride you for your misspellings, he takes these things very seriously.  :lol

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 04:58:26 pm »
Typos don't bother me, wrong word usage does. It's typically a homonym, oddly enough There/Their/They're is incorrect so often I'm actually numb to it.  I already pointed out peak/pique for H_C already. /shrug

I appreciate the attempt to bait me into some sort of trite Friday Night Hissie Fight, but I'm not your huckleberry, sorry bro :(

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 05:07:02 pm »
fun Easter egg I just read about.
the real Dr. smith in the first or second episode was played by the original Will Robinson from the old series

Really? I though that guy looked familiar.
Just a little useless info: Bill Mummy also played the future, grown up Will on the Lost in Space movie, that starred that Friends guy as Don West.

Cool easter eggs, didn't realize either of those.

I guess he's not that much older actually, hard to tell their ages. Interesting it goes back to the original. Part of me wants to go back and watch some but there's too much damn stuff to watch already!

Really liked the Penny character as well, added a lighter air in spots and some comic relief. Speaking of which, I can't believe the robot never raised both hands in celebration again like he did when he knocked the tree down, that cracked me up. Thought for sure it was going to be recalled later, like after the fight with the bad robot.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2018, 08:26:41 pm »

How was Altered Carbon?  I'm planning to read the book and then watch the show.

Anyone else notice the Super Mario Bros. arcade game in altered carbon with a blue cabinet?
didn't they only come in orange?

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2018, 01:49:37 am »
A little late to the party...

Danny: I skimmed the thread so not sure if you went back to it but FYI most people who liked the series weren't fans of the first two episodes.

Judy: I didn't find it distracting but that's me, we are all different.  Someday maybe the general public won't find this type of casting as distracting, I guess we aren't there yet (not said in a judgmental way)

So I loved the series ... why?

well it's the first series I've seen that is family centered that doesn't have a damn annoying rebel kid that hates their parents or is a full outcast or whatever. Yes Will is a bit of an outcast but it's not because he's a Wesley crusher character (he's smart but he doesn't magically come up with every solution) and he's certainly flawed.  Penny is hilarious, she and West steal most scenes they are in. Judy shows a real immaturity reflecting her position (doctor) that is logical considering her age, the mother has reasons for being a she----smurfette---, the husband is conflicted and trying to do the right thing for correct reasons, but through it all, the family core is actually refreshingly calling back to 50's values and it's welcomed.  I mean, the kids are not all do-gooders who obediently do whatever they are told, because they certainly do not.  But there is just a really good core family feeling from them that for me, worked...

Robot:  I loved the Iron Giant inspiration with the robot, superb considering there's no clear way to portray emotion with its face.  Special effects were great and although Dr Smith annoyed the crap out of me, there's also justification behind her fecked up behaviour (at least from her POV). 

Altered Carbon:  it's not perfect but I loved it, loved the AI guy (best lines) but overall, the show really went in a direction that is believable with it's subject matter. Seriously, if we ever find a way to more or less achieve immortality, I think the effect on religion and who gets to be immortal... it's pretty much what we see in this series.

Both shows:  Man, Netflix is going to go broke on these shows. I never imagined any TV series (premium content or not) could ever reach the production values that we see here.  You gotta figure the special effects and the fact they have to pay extras for the actors as there are no possible residuals means the total budget of both shows is north of 100m each.  Just to show how expensive these shows are, "The Crown", a high production value show had I think a cost of 130m for the first two seasons. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:31 pm »
According to this site:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/250934/quarterly-number-of-netflix-streaming-subscribers-worldwide/

4th Q 2016 netflix had 93.8 million subscribers.
q1 2018 they have 125 million.
so that's 31.2 million new subscribers in the last yr.
with their HD streaming at $11/month I think they are going to be ok.

but whether those new subscribers are there because of their content?
IDK.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:56 am »
I watch TV for entertainment.
This entertains me.
If I wanted high quality scifi/fantasy i'll read a book.
This x1000  (movies fall under this as well)

Just a couple quick notes:
In the tar pit only one set of tires spun also, and after that and the jupiter scene, I was asking myself why they were only 2wd.  Also, they did the typical movie mistake of spinning the wheels to get more traction while holding up the jupiter.  The second the wheels started spinning the whole thing would have gone off the edge as wheels spin when you LOSE traction.  But you have to just ignore stuff like this if you want to enjoy anything.

Rule of thumb: expect the worst from movies and shows and you will be pleasantly surprised if they don't suck and get what you expect if it does.  You will seldom be disappointed.

Every episode was completely unrealistic and full of plot holes, yet I was still entertained enough to watch until the end.

Westworld WAS terribly slow and somewhat boring at times, but the reward of watching through was worth it, great twist at the end of season 1.

Wait, Howard is a Dem?  I never would have guessed...  :cheers:

mrhowell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2024, 09:57:50 pm
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 12:40:02 pm »
2 Questions.

Is Trump a bad president?

Who pays for Netflix?
What is that pappy?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 01:09:07 pm »

Anyone else notice the Super Mario Bros. arcade game in altered carbon with a blue cabinet?
Mario Bros was orange. SMB was PlayChoice hardware and usually was found in this or a "red tent":

NO MORE!!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2018, 08:51:29 pm »

Mario Bros was orange. SMB was PlayChoice hardware and usually was found in this or a "red tent":

I knew it!!
because i'm doing a cabaret with a mario bros theme and researched the color.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2018, 10:10:28 am »

Every episode was completely unrealistic and full of plot holes, yet I was still entertained enough to watch until the end.

The show isn't perfect but it is really holding my interest as well.  The cast is great and the effects are pretty good.  I like the look of the planet they are on.  It looks like Earth but is just a bit off at times. 

Apologies if any of this has already been covered but I didn't read this thread carefully for fear of spoilers.  I'm on episode 5 at this point. 

The reason Judy doesn't look like her parents is explained in episode 5 and fits well with the backstory of the family and their dynamic.

Are RPM's relevant on an electric vehicle?  Penny is shown revving the engine to the Chariot and looking at the RPM's.

pixelMECH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2018, 02:12:46 pm
  • yes...i know...of course...yes...uhm, what u said?
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2018, 08:40:36 pm »
I liked the first pisodes pretty much and I'm waiting for the next ones.
pixelMECH stands not only for my gaming history - it also stands for my love to be creative (beeing an 3D artist for rendered visuals/CGIs as a freelancer)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2018, 03:26:34 pm »
All I see in that pic is a food fight converted to a dig dug =(

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
At first I wondered if the oldest daughter was a different ethnicity and then later I realized she was and wondered if I missed an explanation. They could have done a better job explaining it.

Overall, fun show with high production.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:59 am »
At first I wondered if the oldest daughter was a different ethnicity and then later I realized she was and wondered if I missed an explanation. They could have done a better job explaining it.

Yeah, I can't remember now if she was from a previous marriage or she stepped out on him or the broke up and she got knocked up by some other dude and he took her back then had more kids.
Or she was adopted.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2018, 12:13:11 pm »

Yeah, I can't remember now if she was from a previous marriage or she stepped out on him or the broke up and she got knocked up by some other dude and he took her back then had more kids.
Or she was adopted.

Judy told Don something to the effect that she was "in the picture before mom and dad got together".  I don't think they went into any more detail but they really didn't need to.

Did we ever get a "Never fear Smith is here!" reference?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2018, 04:36:19 pm »

Or she was adopted.

Judy told Don something to the effect that she was "in the picture before mom and dad got together".  I don't think they went into any more detail but they really didn't need to.

Did we ever get a "Never fear Smith is here!" reference?

I would imagine if that happened it would of been whispered it into someone's ear right as she slipped the ice pick into it.
She's currently my favorite psycho of 2018 so far.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2018, 06:34:11 pm »
I would imagine if that happened it would of been whispered it into someone's ear right as she slipped the ice pick into it.
She's currently my favorite psycho of 2018 so far.

Maybe in season two.   She is really good in that role.  :cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 08:36:05 pm »
bumpity bump bump.
it's back.
As of Christmas eve.
I haven't watched it all yet.
I got waylaid by The witcher.

I think this season is a little better.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 09:31:31 pm »
I liked Season 2 better than Season 1.  It's definitely worth watching.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2019, 10:09:28 pm »
Yes, much less filler and they actually did something plot-wise with the fact that the oldest daughter is adopted.  There are some head scratching plot holes but it's forgivable because the pacing is so much better. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2020, 06:23:56 pm »
This season was definitely better than the first. You get a lot more character development in this one, including seeing more depth to characters like Dr.Smith and Judy. Will is still annoying IMO.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2021, 08:31:26 pm »
Season 3 dropped without me even knowing.
a friend mentioned it.

not disapointed.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2021, 11:12:48 am »
I watched Season 1 with the family and thought it was OK but I liked it.  Family bailed so I haven't continued.  Looks like I need to watch Season 2 and 3...