Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lost in Space  (Read 24630 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Lost in Space
« on: April 15, 2018, 03:53:12 pm »
So I just finished the new Netflix Lost in Space series.  It's pretty darn good.  The production value is fantastic and the acting is good.  It's a bit predictable, but then again I figure out the plot to most shows fairly early on, so maybe I'm too hard to tv these days.  What I will say is even knowing the destination ahead of time, the journey was entertaining.  The show is just packed with events and plot with pretty much zero filler.  The choice to make it a tight 10 episodes was a smart one. 

My only complaint is Dr. Smith. The woman doing her does a great job and I actually liked the fact that they made her a woman as it gives her less of a pedophile vibe compared to the original series, but I think they did the reveal backwards.  In the first episode she's revealed to be an imposter and just using the name Dr. Smith.  While this certainly adds a bit of tension to the show, as we know she's up to no good, it probably would have been better if they had given her another fake name and she was revealed to really be Dr. Smith towards the end of the show.  If they had done that and certain scenes were filmed differently, it could have been a good twist reveal.  I think they might have actually planned to do that originally as there is a dropped plot thread but that would be spoiler territory. 

Anyway, check it out if you can as it's pretty great.

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Lost in Space
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 09:44:39 pm »
I went looking for this last weekend and was disappointed it wasn't out yet so ended up watching the movie with Joey from friends.
I hope the series is better.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:26 pm »
Well you have me curious.  Most reviews so far have been very poor.  I like the cast though and loved the original show so I am encouraged to hear you liked it.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 12:24:39 am »
Ive gotten in to 4 episodes so far.
There are some holes that maybe will be answered later.
One is (at the risk of sounding racist here), why is Judy a black girl when everyone else in the family is white? Was she adopted? Did Maureen have a previous marriage or lover before John?
Also the robot's origins are a mystery, although Im sure it will be explained later.

So far I do like it, but if they had used the original story line with todays special effects, it could have been better.

As far as the movie that Joey from friends was on, it sucked.
That movie was so bad I held my head in shame.
I grew up on the original Lost in Space and Star Trek. Waited impatiently all week for the next episode.
I think my favorite episode was when the robot grew big and Will and Dr smith went inside to repair him and shrink him back down. Sounds corny now, but back then it was great.
But there were many favorite episodes.
Of course the first original episode was good too, where Dr Smith sabotaged the robot and got trapped on the ship. But if you are a fan, you know the original story line.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 03:56:34 am »
It is the original story line with today's effects more or less... keep watching and things will get more familiar.  Honestly I think that the main problem with the show is they don't stray far enough away from the original show in terms of plot.  Like I said, I almost immediately knew how the whole season was going to play out and with an exception here and there I was right. 

She's black for the same reason that the Roseanne reboot has a black kid..... because diversity at all costs even if it makes zero sense to do so.  It doesn't really bother me in this particular series since the people they cast are quite good, but it's glaringly obvious why they did some of the casting changes.  It'll be explained later, though it doesn't explain how two gingers gave birth to a little boy with brown hair and frosted tips.  ;)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:51 am »

We couldn't get past the second episode. That family seem blase about danger beyond belief. Danger Will Robinson indeed...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:13 am »
Thanks Howard. that explanation about Judy makes perfect sense, and was what i figured was going on, but didnt really want to tread those waters.

Danny, yeah seems like they know they will come through it ok no matter what the danger is. Thats ok for the show i guess, but not for the audience.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:19:19 pm »
Watched it this weekend and loved it!

We couldn't get past the second episode. That family seem blase about danger beyond belief. Danger Will Robinson indeed...

The whole family is thoroughly trained to go into space and handle dangerous situations, they all have way above average intelligence and the ability to deal with danger so it's not odd that they'd be calm under duress. Had you continued to watch you'd see the trauma of almost dying actually has future ramifications and haunts Judy moving forward. Also a major recurring theme in the story is of Will overcoming fear. If you quit watching just for this you weren't giving it much of a chance.

Ive gotten in to 4 episodes so far.
There are some holes that maybe will be answered later.
One is (at the risk of sounding racist here), why is Judy a black girl when everyone else in the family is white? Was she adopted? Did Maureen have a previous marriage or lover before John?

Having an adopted daughter of another race is a plot hole?  Were you legitimately confused by how this could happen? :dizzy:

She's black for the same reason that the Roseanne reboot has a black kid..... because diversity at all costs even if it makes zero sense to do so.  It doesn't really bother me in this particular series since the people they cast are quite good, but it's glaringly obvious why they did some of the casting changes.  It'll be explained later, though it doesn't explain how two gingers gave birth to a little boy with brown hair and frosted tips.  ;)

So there can never be a story line that involves an adopted child of another race without it being the creators trying to shoehorn in diversity? Why does it make zero sense, couples adopt all the time. You're way overthinking the looks of the (white) kids vs. adults, if that takes you out of the story you're going to be pretty hard pressed to find anything immersive.

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 01:50:39 pm »
Here's the thing 8BitMonk.... shows and films are supposed to be streamlined so the audience can understand.  Every character, every casting choice, and every line of dialog should be directed towards propelling either the plot or the emotion of the scene, so unless it's a plot point and therefore has some sort of meaning, yup... it can't be done.  You see a family of a bunch of pale people and one black girl and unless there is something wrong with you that'll peak your curiosity... unless that curiosity is given a satisfying answer it merely convolutes the story and acts as a distraction.  The fact that you've apparently watched the show and think that she's adopted just shows how poor a job that they did explaining her situation.  There are literally two throw away lines in the show, one in the middle and one in the last episode.  Blink and you'll miss them.  When you actually start to think about it, it really convolutes the plot.  She's from an earlier marriage right?  So what did Mrs. Robinson do?  Get married at 16 long enough to have Judy and then get a divorce?  The reason I say that is the fact that all evidence points to the fact that her and Mr. Robinson got married at a really young age as they talk about stories of being together when they were poor and just starting out and even then the kids were already born.  No I'm no genius, but people high up in the military and people that design space ships for NASA aren't poor, so these other memories were from a long time ago.  See... it doesn't make sense when you think about it.

As for Will, how hard is it to dye the boy's hair?  If his parents aren't willing to dye his hair.... time to cast another kid.  But even Netflix is selling to the lowest common denominator aka stupid people so I get why they thought they could get away with it.  Also this fact is exactly why I say it was diversity for diversities sake... they write shows for stupid people to enjoy so they try to keep things simple... having a blended family is not simple... they wanted to hit you in the face with it even though this show had multiple families from multiple ethnic groups and there was no real reason to do so.  Making Don Latino and Dr. Smith a woman I totally get... it was an easy way to diversify the cast, the people they have in the roles are fantastic, and it doesn't require an explanation.

The fact that for the first three episodes I kept thinking "Are they going to explain the kid situation as none of these kids look alike?" before finally giving up and just accepting it pretty much proves it was an issue.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but the fact that I'm not asleep at the wheel when I watch tv is a good thing...it means my mind is curious and always active..... it's all the mouth-breathers that lazily veg out without paying attention to anything that have the problem. 

And for the record, couples do not adopt all the time outside of Hollywood and rich, white folks... it's actually quite rare due to how incredibly difficult it is for the average family to get approved.  Even when it is approved, the most common type of adoption is for a family member to take custody like a grandparent or aunt/uncle due to an unfit parent situation.  Some of my extended family members are adopted, I should know.  I wish that this wasn't the case, there are a lot of kids out there that need a home, but that's the facts unfortunately. 

I can't believe I'm taking the time to explain all of this obvious stuff, but people need to understand that being "woke" doesn't mean that you turn a blind eye to reality and common human behavior. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »
I'm at episode 4, and I'm digging it so far.  The production values are high, every character is actually likable, and the universe is smart enough to not feel like another sci-fi check list (*ehem* looking at you Altered Carbon).

Now I never watched the original series, and I avoided the theatrical release because it just looked bad in general. So I can't comment on how it compares, but I do have fresh eyes on it so it's all pretty new to me.

Episode 1 was a little bananas though. Everything bad that could happen, did happen just so they can forcefully lead the story in a direction. It got to the point where it started getting predictable and unnatural. But they redeemed themselves with Episode 2...that is where I was completely sold. I felt it was the strongest episode so far. Penny really grew on me, especially because I was starting to cringe with all her added humour and one-liners. But by the end of ep.2 I became a fan of hers.  And I love how they showed a tormented and traumatized Judy, after the events of ep.1. It didn't bother me that she looks different from the family. I just figured they'd go into explaining that later on in the show: my bet is she was an affair baby from Mr.Robinson's touring days.
Which kinda makes sense to how the parents regard each other, on the brink of divorce.
Parker Posey as Dr.Smith is brilliant. Great casting choice IMO.  Will is the weakest character so far, shallow and blasé. Not many dimensions to him, compared to the rest of the characters. Maybe that'll change later on...

Anyway, I'm enjoying this so far.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
Howard sounds like the people bitching about a black stormtrooper.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:28 pm »

:laugh2:

Howard your rant sounds a little crazy. Who the ---fudgesicle--- obsesses over (or is bothered by) a characters hair color or their probabilities of adoption?

Like Opt I went into it without seeing anything previously. I figured they'd explain the family situation over time, I certainly wasn't distracted by it at all. I agree the miraculous (good & bad) events steering the story to an unnatural point is something it suffered from throughout but you just have to go with it. Being heroic while staying within the confines of complete believability is a tricky line to walk, I'd rather they error on the side of believability than be boring. The casting was spot on, Parker Posey walked that good/bad/sympathetic line perfectly.

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:02:44 pm »

I enjoy the diversity portrayed in tv gangs.  Street gangs must be the most multicultural and accepting groups out there.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 10:14:46 pm »

Nope, wrong again peanut gallery.  You'll notice that in my original post I didn't even mention it.  It doesn't "bother" me at all, but it was glaringly distracting.  The other post was just to defend Da OldMan as his view is 100% correct. 

There is such a thing as diversity for diversity's sake and it needs to stop.  Every aspect of a character has to make sense and be organic to the plot if you want to make a quality product.  Black Panther had next to no white people in it and you know what?  It was great, I have no problem with that because it made perfect sense in regards to how that film is written and the context of the characters of that world.  If a similar film had been written in the same context only it was a country of isolated white people, there would have been cries from the left about lack of diversity.  Keep in mind that I am on the left and even I can see it happening to the point of where it is getting annoying.  We can have a tv family with just white folks in it, just like Black-ish is a tv family with just black folks in it and Fresh off the Boat can be a family with just Asians in it. 

Sorry but anyone that thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.  Throwing a non-white character in when it doesn't make sense is just lazy writing.... I've begrudgingly accepted the fact that this is just a fad we are going to have to deal with for a while but honestly you guys should expect better.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:36:45 am »
OK guys, didnt mean to start something here, was just wondering...
Now Judy does tell West that John Robinson wasnt her father or was there after she was born. (Cant recall exactly what she said but it was to that affect.)
Anyway, they dont go much deeper than that, so I gathered that maybe June (Mrs. Robinson) was either married before John or had a wild fling. Maybe her first husband died and John appeared to help her out.
But they could save a lot of guessing and trying to come at a reasonable explanation if they had just laid it out at first. Heck the first season is over and there are still no definite answers.
It doesnt matter anyway, dont waste time trying to figure that out.

I have watched the whole season and liked it pretty good.
I wont go much more into it out of fear of spoiling it for you who havent watched it yet.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 01:49:20 am »
Nope, wrong again peanut gallery.  You'll notice that in my original post I didn't even mention it.  It doesn't "bother" me at all, but it was glaringly distracting.  The other post was just to defend Da OldMan as his view is 100% correct. 

What does 'glaringly distracting' even mean? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Explain the difference between 'bothers me' and 'glaringly distracts' me.

There is such a thing as diversity for diversity's sake and it needs to stop. 

Why? Trying to write characters that appeal to a larger multi-ethnic audience is bad? Who decides when it makes sense to include what ethnicity and when?  So it shouldn't be written that way because it offends your delicate sensibilities about who and what the characters should be? From an economic and mass appeal standpoint it makes perfect sense. You should take a hard look at why it bothers you... oh sorry, 'glaringly distracts' to you so much.

There are easy explanations from a story standpoint if you look for them. The characters on the mission represent a wide variety of ethnicities, they're building an idealized futuristic utopian colony, maybe they were specifically looking for racially diverse families to recruit for the mission giving the Robinsons preference. John was in the military, travelled all over the world and in all likelihood interacted with a broad circle of racially diverse people so it would make complete sense that he of all people had a bi-racial kid. For some reason, in your eyes, the Robinson's all have to be white with matching hair or it doesn't work, that's kinda nuts.

This isn't about being 'woke' or some social justice warrior, far from it, your comments just strike me as ignorant and particularly closed minded to the very logical inclusion of a diverse cast of characters.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:06 am »
I think one valuable lesson we have learned is even in the future, alternative fuels suck.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:51 am »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:16 am »
I think one valuable lesson we have learned is even in the future, alternative fuels suck.

Yeah, that and if you outlaw guns, only killer robots will have them.   :lol

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:26 am »
Black Panther had next to no white people in it and you know what?  It was great, I have no problem with that because it made perfect sense in regards to how that film is written and the context of the characters of that world.

That white guy was more out of place in that film than any "random" black person cast in any other...
%Bartop

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 03:10:00 pm »
Why? Trying to write characters that appeal to a larger multi-ethnic audience is bad? 

I've never seen this show, but in general it is bad because its borderline racist to stage a character in a show that looks like a particular race simply to pander for more views. I guess if you are all in favor of having the token black character, cool. I'm not offended by the stuff, but I think it often a huge disservice to make a character who is an out-of-place stereotype as a cash grab. With this show, I would assume if more diversity is the goal, it should be easy enough to make the mother a different race from the father, and have the kids look like a mix of the parents.

I'm just gonna say you shouldn't sleight Howard as being "close-minded and ignorant" because he looks at the issue differently than you do.

On a side note, I am pretty damn impressed with any show that casts family members that actually look like they could be related, and even have certain mannerisms of each other. There is a whole lot less disbelief to suspend when you see character actually look like a family. In this shows defense, the one photo I saw of the family, they do look kinda similar.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 04:04:38 pm »
I've never seen this show, but in general it is bad because its borderline racist to stage a character in a show that looks like a particular race simply to pander for more views. I guess if you are all in favor of having the token black character, cool. I'm not offended by the stuff, but I think it often a huge disservice to make a character who is an out-of-place stereotype as a cash grab. With this show, I would assume if more diversity is the goal, it should be easy enough to make the mother a different race from the father, and have the kids look like a mix of the parents.

That wasn't the case in this show, there was no pandering, no 'token' characters, it was a simple change in the family dynamic that made sense in the context of the world that for some reason really bothered Howard.

I'm just gonna say you shouldn't sleight Howard as being "close-minded and ignorant" because he looks at the issue differently than you do.

I didn't call Howard 'close-minded and ignorant' I said his comments were and I stand by that. I don't know what else you'd call them, I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation as to why the daughters race was so far-fetched and 'glaringly distracted' him. This isn't a personal attack, everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'm just strongly rebutting his and voicing mine. I don't think the average person watching this series would be jarred in the slightest by the daughter being black or the kids hair not matching. I'm genuinely curious why he found THAT to be the most glaringly far fetched thing in a world with spaceships and killer robots.

Just like political correctness can run amok so to can this knee-jerk negative reaction to the insertion of any ethnic character in a story where there wasn't one previously. How did it negatively impact the story? Others who have seen it chime in, did this fact ruin the story for you?

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 04:56:47 pm »
Gotcha! I thought your comments that they wanted different generic backgrounds so they could inbreed in space without mutant babies was just a random theory of yours.  :lol

From the comments, it sounded to me like watching diff'rent strokes where they made no mention that Willis and Arnold were adopted, which indeed would be glaringly distracting.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 05:46:39 am »
Watched it this weekend and loved it!

The whole family is thoroughly trained to go into space and handle dangerous situations, they all have way above average intelligence and the ability to deal with danger so it's not odd that they'd be calm under duress. Had you continued to watch you'd see the trauma of almost dying actually has future ramifications and haunts Judy moving forward. Also a major recurring theme in the story is of Will overcoming fear. If you quit watching just for this you weren't giving it much of a chance.

Did they train to not worry about the kids too much? Let's go look at this alien space ship! Oh now we've had a perfunctory glance let's not investigate it further (what things for our survival might be gained from this ship?) and just head back again! Why did they have to squeeze so much into two episodes? Checking out the ship in a later episode would flesh the story out better and keep the robot a bit of a mystery. Also my partner was very disturbed by the fact this human destroying robot all of a sudden seems to have copped a bump on the head and now loves humans! Even kneeling for the boy. If I was invested in the show I could look past that, but I did find it amusing there was a convenient mountain made of magnesium available, when in nature magnesium exists as an oxide- in other words already 'burnt'. Anyway, that is a minor quibble but it is a tell tale for me that when I notice things like that I am not connecting with the story enough to ignore it.

I think you may need rose coloured glasses to watch this. Where I grew up, we only had one TV station so they couldn't possibly show everything that is now considered iconic. So I was watching this Netflix reboot with fresh eyes.

I did get to see Get Smart growing up though. Now that was the bomb (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 07:51:55 am »
Yeah I noticed a few things that just dont add up too.
Like the water freezing around Judy. It froze so fast that she couldnt get out in time. It looked like someone flipped a switch and instant cold water.
The ship was down in the bottom for quite a while before this happened.
If the air temperature dropped fast enough to freeze the water that quick, you would think the people on top would have froze solid.
I know they had space aged suits that probably protected them, but nothing on their faces.

And the chariots: I liked the original design a lot better than these. Four rubber tires and the things arent even 4 wheel drive?
Its funny how when they travel through the jungle it looks like the path has been cleared for them.
The original chariot had bulldozer threads and looked more like a tank. That baby was made for alien worlds.

And my closing shot: Why, pray tell, would you go to an alien world (that can sustain life) without any weapons? Is life on other planets peace loving gun hating hippies also?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:06 am »
I've had no less than 2 people approach me in person specifically to tell me this show is dumb.   :lol

Moneyhead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2024, 03:36:32 pm
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 10:31:33 am »
Ups, wrong thread
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:07:59 am by Moneyhead »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:15 am »
Reactivated Netflix to watch the new season of Trailer Park Boys, watched Altered Carbon, caught up on Stranger Things...then cancelled.
Glad I'm not missing much with this show.

Stranger Things took a turn for the worse with the introduction of the Max Poochie character.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 10:46:02 am »
Reactivated Netflix to watch the new season of Trailer Park Boys, watched Altered Carbon, caught up on Stranger Things...then cancelled.
Glad I'm not missing much with this show.

Stranger Things took a turn for the worse with the introduction of the Max Poochie character.

How was Altered Carbon?  I'm planning to read the book and then watch the show.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 11:36:32 am »
Stranger Things season 2 lost me very early.  I've probably already posted this but we're all Howard on this blessed day. 

You've established a universe where inter-dimensional demons and psychic powers exist...

and then you find a demon snake in the woods...

and you take it home as a pet.

:applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 12:35:23 pm »

I enjoyed it.  It's BladeRunner-esque.  I like the genre & special effects were top notch for a TV show.
It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I'd rank it at or above SyFy channel's best shows.
There's a fair amount of nudity and sex, so not one to watch with the kids.
It wouldn't be out of place on HBO as one of their big budget shows (ala West World). 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 01:04:11 pm »
West World bored us by episode 3.  In a pretend world without real consequences, people like humping and shooting robots.  Neat.  Who cares?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 02:47:12 pm »
West World bored us by episode 3.  In a pretend world without real consequences, people like humping and shooting robots.  Neat.  Who cares?

Same.  But for some dumb reason I could not stop watching it.  Loved the original when I was a kid.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 02:47:55 pm »

I enjoyed it.  It's BladeRunner-esque.  I like the genre & special effects were top notch for a TV show.
It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I'd rank it at or above SyFy channel's best shows.
There's a fair amount of nudity and sex, so not one to watch with the kids.
It wouldn't be out of place on HBO as one of their big budget shows (ala West World).

Cool.  Thanks for the heads up about the content.   :cheers:

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »

Name something you've liked in recent memory. Under curmudgeon in the dictionary and it says 'see pbj'.  :lol

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 03:33:32 pm »
Explain the difference between 'bothers me' and 'glaringly distracts' me.

Do you really need English lessons on an arcade forum?

Bothers: worries, disturbs, or upsets
distracts: prevent (someone) from giving full attention to something

unless there is something wrong with you that'll peak your curiosity
Peak: pointed top of a mountain or ridge
pique: stimulate (interest or curiosity).

Westworld season 1 was amazing.
Stranger Things seasons 1 and 2 both sucked.

and then you find a demon snake in the woods...
Trashcan, with no explanation how it got there after Will puked it out into a sink.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 03:37:23 pm »
Name something you've liked in recent memory. Under curmudgeon in the dictionary and it says 'see pbj'.  :lol

Enjoyed Counterpart quite a bit.

:cheers:

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 03:47:28 pm »
Did they train to not worry about the kids too much? Let's go look at this alien space ship! Oh now we've had a perfunctory glance let's not investigate it further (what things for our survival might be gained from this ship?) and just head back again! Why did they have to squeeze so much into two episodes? Checking out the ship in a later episode would flesh the story out better and keep the robot a bit of a mystery. Also my partner was very disturbed by the fact this human destroying robot all of a sudden seems to have copped a bump on the head and now loves humans! Even kneeling for the boy. If I was invested in the show I could look past that, but I did find it amusing there was a convenient mountain made of magnesium available, when in nature magnesium exists as an oxide- in other words already 'burnt'. Anyway, that is a minor quibble but it is a tell tale for me that when I notice things like that I am not connecting with the story enough to ignore it.

The ship discovery timing didn't bother me, the kid stumbled upon it accidentally and then rushed back to help his sister. Then they returned and explored it more, even activating it. Regarding the 'killer robot', they didn't know what it was at that time at all or that it even related to their circumstances.  I get your point on the convenient magnesium and it's properties, you could chalk that up to an alien planet so potentially different properties. Nitpick the science in science fiction and you're always going to be disappointed.

Yeah I noticed a few things that just dont add up too.
Like the water freezing around Judy. It froze so fast that she couldnt get out in time. It looked like someone flipped a switch and instant cold water.
The ship was down in the bottom for quite a while before this happened.
If the air temperature dropped fast enough to freeze the water that quick, you would think the people on top would have froze solid.
I know they had space aged suits that probably protected them, but nothing on their faces.

I'm with you on this one, I was thinking the same thing when the water started visibly freezing.

And the chariots: I liked the original design a lot better than these. Four rubber tires and the things arent even 4 wheel drive?
Its funny how when they travel through the jungle it looks like the path has been cleared for them.
The original chariot had bulldozer threads and looked more like a tank. That baby was made for alien worlds.

Ok, the treads made sense maybe but the rest of the thing was a glass bubble, didn't look very durable! I prefer the new ones at least aesthetically. Not sure where you picked up they weren't AWD, I just assumed they were.

And my closing shot: Why, pray tell, would you go to an alien world (that can sustain life) without any weapons? Is life on other planets peace loving gun hating hippies also?

They weren't going to an alien world, they were going to an established colony, they crashed on this world. Also it's shown later that they 3D print their weapons.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 04:01:43 pm »
Explain the difference between 'bothers me' and 'glaringly distracts' me.

Do you really need English lessons on an arcade forum?

Bothers: worries, disturbs, or upsets
distracts: prevent (someone) from giving full attention to something

I know the definition of words, thanks, maybe you need lessons in comprehension. I was asking him to explain how something could be 'glaringly distracting' and not bothersome to him. My point being it obviously bothered him, he was just trying to use what he considered a less abrasive description.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 04:09:21 pm »

Enjoyed Counterpart quite a bit.

:cheers:

Had to Google this, never heard of it. I'll have to check this out just to see what gets the pbj stamp of approval.  :cheers: