Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: picked up a rush 2049 cab. What should I do with it?  (Read 6802 times)

bumadigital

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2019, 08:42:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
picked up a rush 2049 cab. What should I do with it?
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:03:50 pm »
The cabinet doesn't have a computer or working monitor.   I was told the steering wheel still works but I'm not sure if it is worth it to try to keep it.  I was thinking of putting a PC in the cabinet to play multiple games and then using an LCD monitor as replacement.  My main concern is that if I want to replace the steering wheel with a newer one (Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster) then I don't think it would fit into the plastic covering that goes with the cabinet.

Any ideas? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: picked up a rush 2049 cab. What should I do with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:17:42 pm »
If the wheel is good I would try to use it personally.

If not then yeah retro fit is the way to go ;)

bumadigital

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:27:15 pm »
What do you mean by "retrofit"?

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:31:41 pm »
The video card on mine is going bad, I am thinking about converting it but am competently lost. Ill keep you informed if I figure anything out.

bumadigital

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:59:30 pm »
It really is a doozy.  Ideally i'd like to remove the plastic bezel around the monitor and upgrade to 32" LCD  Unfortunately there is no easy way to do that and make it look good since the cab isn't symetrical (left side sticks out more.  So I would either need a new bezel that fits a 32" screen or put a 28" monitor in there like others have done.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
I ended up replacing the monitor with a MAKVISION CRT from Xarcade, wasn't cheap but it looks really good. If you could figure out the bezel and 32 would look okay.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »
Forego the force feedback and use a mini-pac http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html with the original wheel, pedals and shifter.

Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 02:40:37 pm »
What do you mean by "retrofit"?

Fit it out with a PC or console or something then fit a wheel to control it.

jurulz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2020, 04:18:28 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 09:19:35 pm »
Forego the force feedback and use a mini-pac http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html with the original wheel, pedals and shifter.

No need to swap the POT?

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »

No need to swap the POT?
No. not as long as there are no dead spots from wear.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:17:45 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »
Did the minipac add analog (potentiometer) inputs?   :dizzy:

I thought it only had digital (microswitch) and optical (spinner/trackball/360 degree steering wheel) inputs.

For analog inputs, you need an analog encoder like U-HID, U-HID Nano, A-Pac, KADESTICK, or KADE miniArcade 2.0.

Scott

jurulz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 03:40:04 pm »

What kind of harness do I need with mini-pac to connect the wheel to the mini-pac?

Thank you

Julien

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 04:43:22 pm »
What kind of harness do I need with mini-pac to connect the wheel to the mini-pac?
There is no harness that will make a potentiometer steering wheel/potentiometer pedals (analog devices) work properly with a mini-pac. (microswitch and optical encoder)

The mini-pac does not have an analog to digital conversion circuit that converts the analog voltage on the center tab (wiper) of the potentiometer to a digital position value.

- If you connect the wiper to a microswitch input on the mini-pac, the mini-pac will translate a voltage that is a logic high as a button that is not pressed and a voltage that is logic low as a button that is pressed.

- If you connect the wiper to one of the optical data inputs (i.e. Data B), you can make the mouse cursor move one step right (from 1 to 2) by changing logic level from low to high.
When you return to the original logic level low, the cursor moves one step left back to the original position. (from 2 to 1)

Potentiometer = analog device ==> Needs an analog encoder. (see list above)

Scott

jurulz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:22 pm »
There is no harness that will make a potentiometer steering wheel/potentiometer pedals (analog devices) work properly with a mini-pac. (microswitch and optical encoder)

The mini-pac does not have an analog to digital conversion circuit that converts the analog voltage on the center tab (wiper) of the potentiometer to a digital position value.

- If you connect the wiper to a microswitch input on the mini-pac, the mini-pac will translate a voltage that is a logic high as a button that is not pressed and a voltage that is logic low as a button that is pressed.

- If you connect the wiper to one of the optical data inputs (i.e. Data B), you can make the mouse cursor move one step right (from 1 to 2) by changing logic level from low to high.
When you return to the original logic level low, the cursor moves one step left back to the original position. (from 2 to 1)

Potentiometer = analog device ==> Needs an analog encoder. (see list above

Scott

Ok let me ask you this: can you tell me what will be the best harness to quick connect a wheel with a u-hid or u-hid nano?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 10:34:29 pm »
what will be the best harness to quick connect a wheel with a u-hid or u-hid nano?
Bad news: None of the default Ultimarc harnesses will be plug-and-play for the wheel and pedals on your cab.

Good news: Molex and JAMMA adapters are cheap and easy to make, so please don't maim for MAME.

I haven't verified exactly what connectors are in the harness on your cab and how they are wired (pg 84 of the manual here?), but it looks like you can "roll your own" Molex adapters like step 7 of this tutorial on building a Star Wars yoke interface and/or a JAMMA fingerboard that plugs into the current harness in place of the game PCB.

Connect the adapter(s) to a euro-style terminal strip like in the tutorial.

Between the euro-style terminal strip and the U-HID you can use any 0.1" (Dupont) jumper like this M-F set with the female end connected to the U-HID pin and the male end tightened in the terminal strip.

Ultimarc also has a "U-HID Modular Harness -- 8-connection harness, plus ground. Double ended, can be cut to form two wire-end harnesses." that is a good choice, but more expensive than the Dupont jumpers.

Scott

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 07:04:17 pm »
Did the minipac add analog (potentiometer) inputs?   :dizzy:

I thought it only had digital (microswitch) and optical (spinner/trackball/360 degree steering wheel) inputs.

For analog inputs, you need an analog encoder like U-HID, U-HID Nano, A-Pac, KADESTICK, or KADE miniArcade 2.0.

Scott
You are right. It's the U-HID Nano that runs my PP multi.

jurulz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 10:07:28 pm »
I Have a 2 working rush 2049 cabinet. I would like to build a mame/model2 cabinet but i would like to preserve the game.

So basicly my goal is to interface the original controls to a pc and be able to switch back to the original game (rush 2049) if i want to play the game.

What are my options?

Thanks again for all your help.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 12:30:57 am »
I Have a 2 working rush 2049 cabinet. I would like to build a mame/model2 cabinet but i would like to preserve the game.

So basicly my goal is to interface the original controls to a pc and be able to switch back to the original game (rush 2049) if i want to play the game.
That's where the JAMMA fingerboard (male) comes in. (might need some Molex adapters, too :dunno)

Page 84 of the manual (linked above) shows the cab's JAMMA harness edge connector (female) connected to the Game PCB edge connector. (red)

What you need to research/build is everything connected through the fingerboard. (green)

To switch from the Game PCB to the computer, power down, disconnect the JAMMA edge connector from the Game PCB edge connector (red) and connect to the fingerboard. (green)

Game PCB --\
                                                            JAMMA harness -- Power supply, controls, coin door, and monitor
    |-- Analog Encoder -- Fingerboard --/
Computer                      /
    |-- Video ------------/

RGB video from the computer connects through the fingerboard and JAMMA harness to the monitor.

The computer has an analog encoder plugged into a USB port and connected to the buttons and potentiometers through the fingerboard.

If you want to run all the analog controls (wheel+3 pedals*two players=8 analog axes) through one analog encoder, you may want to consider "rolling your own" KADE maxArcade.  (See the AVR vendor list in my sig for details regarding the board and a pinout.)

It's a cancelled prototype (none for sale), but the "KADE maxArcade - USB/HID Joystick 2 Player with Analog (Beta)" firmware works and can handle 8 analog axes.

I'm not familiar with all the details of your cab (just working from the manual), but this is the basic idea of what you need to research to build what you described.

Good luck.   :cheers:

Scott

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:53 am »
You should be able to handle 8+ analog axes with an Arduino DUE board and the "joystick" library (V1 is said to be compatible with DUE. V2 is said to be not compatible with arduino DUE)

jurulz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:13 am »
Something I'm not sure to understand is why using 8 analog axes? correct me if i'm wrong but if i want to use 1 pc per cabinet I only need 4 analog axes?

Another thing, does the Jpac would work for the JAMMA parts( Power supply, controls, coin door) and use something like an u-hid for the wheel/pedals/shifter?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »
Something I'm not sure to understand is why using 8 analog axes? correct me if i'm wrong but if i want to use 1 pc per cabinet I only need 4 analog axes?
Correct, 2 PCs with 4 analog axes each (wheel + 3 pedals) = a total of 8 analog axes.

Wasn't sure if you wanted to use 1 PC with 2 monitors or use 2 PCs and sort out the networking connections on the games that support it.

Have you made a list of your "can't live without it" games and looked into what configuration (1 PC or 2 PCs) each game needs to run the way you want?

The path you choose depends on the emulators/games you want to use and how they can be configured.

Path 1 - 1 PC, 2 monitors
- Some head-to-head games may be easier to configure
- Some head-to-head games won't work because they require a separate PC for each player

Path 2 - 2 PCs that aren't connected to each other
- Easiest to configure
- Works with all games
- Players can play different games at the same time
- No head-to-head play

Path 3 - 2 PCs that are connected to each other
- Players can play head-to-head on games that support it

Game list? ==> How many PCs and what configuration do you need for those games? ==> What encoder(s) will work?
(The answer to step 3 depends on the answers that you choose in steps 1 and 2.)

Scott

jurulz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:16 pm »
Ok guys i'm going trought my project but right now i have an issue with the pedals (it doesn't do anything)

I choose to use the u-hid that i use in my Chase HQ Cabinet.

The wheel works well but the pedals (POT pedals) not working at all. My goal is here is to preserve the cabinet so I can switch back to rush (so no modification to the POT)

So what i did here is to take the molex connector from the pedals and wiring to the u-hid with a harness that i build. The harness seems to work (i tested the continuity with my multimeter) and the pots are working too.

I made a very basic schematic of my connexion.

Do i need to input more GND and 5v connexion per pots on the u-hid or one pair is enough?

Thank you for your feedback!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 08:24:46 pm »
I made a very basic schematic of my connexion.
Should be good, assuming that:
- The 5v is daisy-chained to tab 1 (or 3) of all three pots.
- The ground is daisy-chained to tab 3 (or 1) of all three pots.

Ok guys i'm going trought my project but right now i have an issue with the pedals (it doesn't do anything)
First things first -- verify that the pots work in Windows.

Open "Control Panel"/"Devices and Printers".

Right-click on U-HID, Game Controller Settings, Properties.

If the pots are wired correctly, they should move the related red bar or crosshair axis.

Do i need to input more GND and 5v connexion per pots on the u-hid or one pair is enough?
One U-HID pin for 5v and one for ground can easily power 3 pots.

Ohms Law: I=E/R (current=voltage/resistance)
5V/5k Ohms = 1mA current draw per pot

3 pots will draw 3mA.

You'll run out of analog axes in Windows (maximum is 8 IIRC) before you draw too much current.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:28:33 pm by PL1 »

jurulz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 12:19:52 am »
It's working! I think i was having issue with the u-hid windows driver (use another computer) and it's working now. ???

Another one for you:

What are your recommendations for the analog configurations of the pedals?

I see on this thread : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=147803.0

that you recommand those configirations:

* pin 3 - Analog input (X-axis recommended) -- Steering
  * pin 4 - Analog input (Y-axis recommended) -- Throttle
  * pin 5 - Analog input (you may want to avoid Z-axis) -- Brake

What is your recommendations for the brakes and clutch?

Thank you again you should really have a tip jar ;)

DC333

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2023, 01:17:52 pm
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2023, 02:15:35 pm »
Hello. I know this a very old post. If anyone here I'm actually working on the exact same project. Have a Rush 2049 cab, wheel and pedals, and the jamma harness. Have a gaming PC running mame. Game worms great, but need the wheel and pedals! I got a jamma converter and they gave me sound from the original speakers. So if I could ask what exactly did you there to get everything working on the cabinet? Thanks