Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Daytona Twin Attract Mode ?  (Read 1349 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:32:01 pm
Daytona Twin Attract Mode ?
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:37:32 am »
Quick question, hoping someone knows the answer.   I've got Daytona USA running in my twin cab  in linked mode.   Other than the shifter and VR buttons that aren't hooked up yet, the game(s) work. 

But they seem to instantly start the game when the emulator is started.   No attract mode?   When a game/round ends, it goes right back to game start.   No "insert coin" or "attract mode". 

Is this normal?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Daytona Twin Attract Mode ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 04:03:51 pm »
That's normally what happens when I play Daytona USA in Model 2 emulator and there's loads of coins that've been "inserted", I think the game remembers how many credits have been previously inserted. In an emulated version, the quick fix for that would be to delete the game's NVRAM. If you're playing with actual hardware, I've got no idea, but if you just keep playing it the credits will eventually get used up.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 05:35:59 pm »
Its emulated.   I tried deleting the NVRAM and it didn't fix it.   At least, I thought I did.  :) 

I'll have to take another look. 

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 08:20:07 pm »
That's normally what happens when I play Daytona USA in Model 2 emulator and there's loads of coins that've been "inserted", I think the game remembers how many credits have been previously inserted. In an emulated version, the quick fix for that would be to delete the game's NVRAM. If you're playing with actual hardware, I've got no idea, but if you just keep playing it the credits will eventually get used up.

Does the original machine do that as well? I wonder if it's to protect people's money if the machine accidentally resets. Might save the operators a bit of hassle.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 11:24:35 pm »
So I got it working with Daytona++ (pinned thread in this forum). 

Just set the emulators to master/slave, twin cabinet, and proper car numbers and it launched right into attract mode.  Daytona++ sets it to "Free Play" and it says "Press Start to Play" - which leads me to believe that it shouldn't go straight into a game.  Daytona++ also enables the panoramic attract mode on a twin cab normally only seen in 4+ linked cabinet setups.   No idea why Sega disabled panoramic attract mode of all things on twin cabs.

On another copy of M2 emulator without Daytona++, I deleted all the NVRAM files, set the emulator to single mode, and it loaded into attract mode as well, but said "Insert Coin" as expected.  I'll mess around with a linked copy of regular M2 emu and see if I can get attract mode working.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on my twin cabinet lately, but I did get the marquee lit up.  The stock light was a weird 3ft fluorescent tube.  I've honestly never seen a 3ft tube - only 2ft and 4ft.  Lowes had a 3ft single bulb LED shop light that fight perfectly, so I swapped it in. I think its too bright honestly.  Something else to mess around with. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 11:50:44 pm »
Nuked the NVRAM on the regular M2, configured it for twin linked, and attract mode started as expected, in non-panoramic mode (red car on cab 1, blue car on cab 2, otherwise the same looping video). 

Entering a coin on Cab 1 auto starts the cab.  Entering a second coin enters Cab 2 into the race. When the race ended, it went back into attract mode.   So I must have had a bunch of coins entered or something.

So I guess that means the "Start" button is basically unused?   Or its just there in case the machines were put into free play mode I guess?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 11:32:48 am »
If my memory serves correctly, the thing that triggers whether or not you get the panoramic attract mode is if you've got the game set to 'Twin' or 'Deluxe' - with 4 players linked in twin mode you should get the panoramic mode.

I don't think a 2 player set-up normally triggers the panoramic mode - I think that might be an extra feature Nuexzz added to Daytona++ (been years since I played around with it though, so I could be wrong...)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 08:18:52 pm »
that's right, you don't normally get the panoramic attract mode with only two linked cabs. And presumably not with three, either.

The start button can be used to... select things in the menus? In Virtua Racing you need it to get to manual gearbox. Is it needed to trigger the tyre wear option in Daytona?

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:52:53 am
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 12:16:02 am »
the ones I remember out of the box:

START on transmission selection enables "real players only" in multiplayer, and "time trial"/"time attack" in singleplayer.

Pressing all 4 view buttons on track selection adds a little white dot on the top left of the screen and enables the damage model.

Holding one of the view buttons on the "start your engines" screen will change the music that is played (view 4 for the unused track).

Pressing all four view buttons ingame switches the camera to a top down view - although there seems to be a trick to it, as does not work reliable.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

TheCiscoKid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 05:07:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 06:00:58 am »
I've never seen this top-down view :o

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 10:18:28 am »
I've only ever seen it in a YouTube video, where the uploader mentioned they had to do a bit of romhacking to make it work, I've never been able to get it working myself. Daytona USA 2 though has a secret overhead view you can access, along with a few other secret views.

TheCiscoKid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 05:07:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 03:27:51 am »
I've only ever seen it in a YouTube video, where the uploader mentioned they had to do a bit of romhacking to make it work, I've never been able to get it working myself. Daytona USA 2 though has a secret overhead view you can access, along with a few other secret views.

Ah yes I remember looking into this now, saw the same video. I feel like someone either saw that video, the overhead view in Daytona 2, or both and their memory just got a bit jumbled.

https://mondala.miraheze.org/wiki/Daytona_USA

This is just a wiki page I use for taking notes, but I think its comprehensive regarding Daytona's button combos. Still need to confirm the slot machine works how I've read it works though...