Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone ever try the G-Sync XB321HK?  (Read 1447 times)

tyson171

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2022, 09:34:22 pm
Anyone ever try the G-Sync XB321HK?
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:29:37 pm »
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.JX1EE.001

I really like the idea of a 32" g-sync monitor, running 4:3 display, and then the plan is to build a mechanism to automatically rotate the display for vertical games. (Can mame trigger the physical monitor rotation? For example send a signal to a raspberry pie to rotate a servo or something along those lines, or is this frontend controlled?)

I currently own a 27" Acer Predator IPS Panel that goes up to 144hz, and games like Donkey Kong run at 61hz native on this monitor, double dragon 58.5, and it goes as low as 30hz) but I prefer the 32" g-sync, as it as a very close aspect ratio while in 4:3 mode to a 25" crt.

Only problem with the monitor above, it only does 60Hz, so without having this monitor to test on, i'm scared any games over 60hz won't scale/run properly.  Anyone have any experience with this?

I cannot stand any screen tearing at all, so g-sync is a must.  (I'm not opposed to FreesSync, but i've never tested it, and I'm more of an Nvidia guy)

Why an LCD you ask?

I own a mame cabinet with a Wells Gardner 25k7191 currently, but this was built 6 or 7 years ago, has screen tearing on games like black tiger no matter what I tried (was running windows xp with CRTemu Drivers, but the older ones of course), and still had some screen tearing on only specific games. I also always wanted to play SF4, and newer 2 player arcade games (Dragon Ball Figherz) widescreen, and they just don't hold up on 15hz CRT monitors IMO.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Anyone ever try the G-Sync XB321HK?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:28:29 pm »
The only thing I can think of that's vaguely along these lines might be MameHooker by Howard Castro (he's a poster on the Driving cab subforum). I don't believe it has the function you're looking for, but Howard might be able to tell you about it, or how hard it is to get to. Mame does know what orientation a game runs in, so it is in there to be found, i guess.