Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Billy Mitchell stripped of Donkey Kong records!  (Read 21067 times)

big10p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: Billy Mitchell stripped of Donkey Kong records!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2019, 01:51:26 pm »
I knew this malarkey had been going on a while now, but didn't know they made a movie about it, all the way back in the '50s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047956/

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2019, 04:52:11 pm »
Looks like this dispute is going to court.

https://www.techspot.com/news/81872-arcade-legend-billy-mitchell-threatens-sue-twin-galaxies.html

Scott

The guy is probably desperate to hold onto his only legacy in life.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2019, 10:42:17 pm »
If there was no other cheating then it's actually more impressive, because with emulators and PCBs based on emulators you're dealing with at least one extra frame of input latency.

The problem is a lot of people think there is something else fishy going on based on other things seen in the tapes and that whole chain of trust thing I mentioned.

+1

Here’s a link to surpassingly the direct live footage, digitized from tape. It is a CRT. I wonder if he even knew it was MAME? Perhaps some one set it up to get a „direct feed“ and he didn’t look into how it was done? Assuming he didn’t have any sort of game/emulator hacks, it would likely be tougher than original due to lag. Impressive regardless, and tarnishing his fame sounds like a grudge. Give him a chance to clear his name? I’d like to see proof of cheating outside of using MAME. There is lots of comments and nothing to back them from what I see.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2019, 11:24:20 pm »
Not this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- again

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2019, 06:38:42 pm »
Give him a chance to clear his name? I’d like to see proof of cheating outside of using MAME. There is lots of comments and nothing to back them from what I see.

He was given that chance in the movie 'King of Kong' but he never would. But I do agree, sit him down in front of a certified DK machine and let him play. If he's as good as he claims, it shouldn't be an issue. The fact that he's trying to just re-instate his old records instead of shutting everybody up by proving them wrong speaks volumes IMO. 
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2019, 09:48:33 pm »
Do you expect him to get the world record live on demand? Or just a high enough score to show he can play. He has done the latter. Getting the high score on demand, live? These scores took years to achieve and TG stripped him of all his scores for all games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2019, 02:37:14 pm »
Actually we don't know he has because for years his friends have been covering for him.  I gladly admit that in the 80's he was a force to be reckoned with, but I'm not aware of a recent live event where he competed in front of impartial witnesses and got a score anywhere near what he gets when he sends in his tapes.  The problem with using mame is that you can just build a bot to play the game for you.... speed runners do it all the time to test new techniques.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2019, 04:26:00 pm »
His multi camera live stream last year doesn't count? I thought he both broke a million on that, and covered his bases to prove it wasn't mame.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2019, 08:55:08 pm »
That's around 250,000 short of the world record.  He's a high tier player, but that's not the same as being the best in the world.  I'm not familiar with the live stream you are talking about but considering how shady some of his submissions have been in the past it'd only be proof if someone besides his twin galaxy buddies were there to verify anyway. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2019, 09:11:50 am »
A quick google search shows he accomplished both his livestream "redemption" scores, which were the same scores as what TG rejected in front of witnesses and in a public arcade. After achieving the high score, he takes the main feed camera without cutting uses it to inspect the entire cabinet. Mitchell didn't claim to have the best current score in the world and I don't know why you would expect him to achieve that. What he did achieve is the scores they booted him over, which WAS the high score back when it happened.

Also, you are not going to get an impartial TG ref to sit live for the months it took him to redo both his scores. I don't think many of those exist. I am not saying they were wrong about Billy's old scores being on Mame, but that entire peanut gallery is filled with bitterness and heaps of bias, and maybe a few who were treated like a pariah if they didn't pull out their pitchfork for the "destroy everything Billy" crusade.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2019, 10:20:54 am »
at this point, he's wiling to do anything to try and keep this "king of kong" name including

sue EVERYBODY who talks about him... well almost anything... short of ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME! He's the new Meatloaf... he'll do anything for Kong, but he won't do that.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2019, 11:55:24 am »
To me it isn't a question of whether or not he cheated. It was how they treated the guy. Pretty sure Billy was playing on Mame at minimum, and the "investigation" outcome should probably not have changed, but TG handled it all like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

The whole process was run by a mob mentality, and he had a public investigation / execution. You can go out there and read it, post by post. Any comments on TG to the contrary of "destroy Billy Mitchell" over there was met with hostility. Billy is well within his rights to sue, because no other place that calls itself an legit organization runs its internal investigations like that.  If this was just a hobby website, sure, rip a guy to shreds for cheating. This was a cluster, and TG had a standard to hold, which they failed to do.

... well almost anything... short of ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME!

Playing the game is exactly what he did. He got to the grindstone and played constantly until he recreated both his questionable scores on legit hardware. I don't know what more you can expect from a guy blacklisted by most the high score community. That ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- doesn't matter over there. TG isn't going to reinstate any of his scores, even if he did a better job documenting it than 99% of the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- they allow.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2019, 11:59:25 am »
Imagine caring this much over something so trivial.  You guys are still arguing about a 10 year old movie.  Twin Galaxies is an elderly man and 5 people on his forum.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2019, 12:15:00 pm »
Jim's just jaded from never hitting celebrity status over that 3rd place record on Windjammers.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2019, 10:06:19 pm »
It's like caring about football... ::)
%Bartop

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »
...or caring about anything I say.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2019, 10:41:55 pm »
Sports are the secular glue that holds society together.

:cheers:

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2019, 10:43:15 pm »
Sports are the secular glue that holds society together.

:cheers:

Bread and circuses... They'll never revolt.
%Bartop

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2019, 10:49:14 pm »
Yes, Neph, thanks.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2019, 11:08:13 pm »
Go team Billy! :lol

That's totally me, though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 11:11:34 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2019, 02:19:39 am »
A quick google search shows he accomplished both his livestream "redemption" scores, which were the same scores as what TG rejected in front of witnesses and in a public arcade. After achieving the high score, he takes the main feed camera without cutting uses it to inspect the entire cabinet. Mitchell didn't claim to have the best current score in the world and I don't know why you would expect him to achieve that. What he did achieve is the scores they booted him over, which WAS the high score back when it happened.

Also, you are not going to get an impartial TG ref to sit live for the months it took him to redo both his scores. I don't think many of those exist. I am not saying they were wrong about Billy's old scores being on Mame, but that entire peanut gallery is filled with bitterness and heaps of bias, and maybe a few who were treated like a pariah if they didn't pull out their pitchfork for the "destroy everything Billy" crusade.

The problem is that he DID claim to have the high score several times and nearly every time something was fishy about his submission and the tg guys often gave him special treatment compared to normal submissions.  You can't do that.  It's like if a sports star is caught using steroids ALL of their records are made null and void, not just the ones they made while juicing. It doesn't matter if doing it on mame would be harder.. it's against the rules and therefore it's cheating and therefore you get stripped of your records... it's as simple as that... the whole point of that whole thing is that you do NOT get special treatment just because you are friends with all the record keepers.  A lot of this actually isn't even his fault, it's Twin Galaxies for not keeping everything on the up and up. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2019, 07:17:28 am »
I don't think we disagree, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying. The high score today is much higher than when he "achieved" it in 2006 or whenever that was. He has proven he can get his old score legitimately, but never claimed he could get the current high score held today. So, when I said he did put up a high score livestream that was legit, and you said it was 250k shy of the high score. It is only 250k shy of the current score. He hit his exact high scores from BITD.

Other than that, I agree, he probably was treated like he could walk on water. As I understand it, his high score submission for DK that was played in the King of Kong wasn't a submission at all. Billy sent it to show off to his followers, and they knew it wasn't a submission, but they were so smitten with the performance they just put it up, and disregarded any real vetting. When the cheating came up, they did turn around and publicly burn him at the stake, which is only worse. The way they held a public mob trial for him, let people with a obvious agenda against him take part in the investigation, and didn't give Billy a chance to defend himself as part of the process was stupid. You can spend 5 minutes on TG reading some of that stuff. Example top of mind, they were discussing how to announce the cheating in a way that would maximize Billy's public humiliation. I'd probably be threatening to sue as well.

To add context, this whole thing was so much a public circus that we all got this:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:25:57 am by Vigo »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2019, 08:42:50 am »
...  Twin Galaxies is an elderly man and 5 people on his forum.

*Not me folks. Although I am elderly.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:09 am »
I have Pixels in my (Netherlands) cue. Soon.

@nephasth: telling people they are living The Truman Show just gets them in a snit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:20:36 am by Mr. Peabody »

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2019, 01:44:13 pm »
He hit his exact high scores from BITD.

No, actually, he didn't:
https://www.twingalaxies.com/the-evener/wall/5773/update-what-billy-mitchells-twitch-scores-mean-and-dont-mean
-------------------------
from twingalaxies:

Consider Mitchell's 1,047,500 million point Twitch score. Despite his earlier pledge at the Southern-Fried Gaming Expo to achieve his exact scores, Mitchell actually ended with 300 more points than his original 2005 score of 1,047,200. While mere mortals would never quarrel over 300 additional points on a million point game, recall that Mitchell’s 1,047,200 game was achieved deliberately - a score that was exactly 100,000 points more than Steve Wiebe’s submission back in 2003.

The same held true for Mitchell’s 1,050,100 Twitch game, which came in 100 points below his removed score of 1,050,200 achieved in 2007. But the 100 point difference tells only part of the story. During his original run, Mitchell achieved his desired score on Level 21-1 before eliminating his extra man and ending his game early, serving notice to competitors that he deliberately left a potential 55,000 points on the floor. On his Twitch stream, Mitchell was required to play an additional four stages in his quest to match the 2007 score but lost his last life prematurely, thereby missing his target score by 100 points and with a lesser figure of a potential 12,000 points “unplayed" before the kill screen.
======================

Just another baseless claim, and not doing what he said.

Did you you actually watch the livestreams, or are you just repeating what he says.

Don't believe anything until you research it yourself. then you will see how wrong billy is.

later
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:47:49 pm by negative1 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2019, 03:18:20 pm »
Yeah there's stuff like that.  The only problem is TG is just as guilty because they either trusted him blindly or looked the other way on more than a few occasions. 

Billy's attitude is a huge part of the problem.  This is a guy that sued a cartoon (regular Show) because they did a parody of him in an episode.... most people would be flattered by that.  Also he's now suing people that he supposedly thought of as friends, regardless of corporate restructuring.  That just isn't the way to handle something as trivial as high scores on a 30 year old video game, but because that's apparently all he has going on in his life he just can't let it go. 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2019, 06:00:50 pm »
ugh... it's dragster all over again.

this guy will lie himself to the end of the world. he got caught, yet he continues to say no, it's legit....and he's willing to run anyone into the ground who proved him wrong.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:15 pm »

No, actually, he didn't:
https://www.twingalaxies.com/the-evener/wall/5773/update-what-billy-mitchells-twitch-scores-mean-and-dont-mean
from twingalaxies:

Consider Mitchell's 1,047,500 million point Twitch score. Despite his earlier pledge at the Southern-Fried Gaming Expo to achieve his exact scores, Mitchell actually ended with 300 more points than his original 2005 score of 1,047,200. While mere mortals would never quarrel over 300 additional points on a million point game, recall that Mitchell’s 1,047,200 game was achieved deliberately - a score that was exactly 100,000 points more than Steve Wiebe’s submission back in 2003.

The same held true for Mitchell’s 1,050,100 Twitch game, which came in 100 points below his removed score of 1,050,200 achieved in 2007. But the 100 point difference tells only part of the story. During his original run, Mitchell achieved his desired score on Level 21-1 before eliminating his extra man and ending his game early, serving notice to competitors that he deliberately left a potential 55,000 points on the floor. On his Twitch stream, Mitchell was required to play an additional four stages in his quest to match the 2007 score but lost his last life prematurely, thereby missing his target score by 100 points and with a lesser figure of a potential 12,000 points “unplayed" before the kill screen.
======================

Did you you actually watch the livestreams, or are you just repeating what he says.

Don't believe anything until you research it yourself. then you will see how wrong billy is.

later

I think you are exactly proving my point. This whole thing is a public execution by TG, and they will never give him the satisfaction. That whole “100k points better than weibe” or “55000 points left on the table” is just garbage propped up by TG, why should I care that they try to knock him down with it.

Good job using an impartial resource.  ::)

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:14 am »

No, actually, he didn't:
from twingalaxies:

======================

later

I think you are exactly proving my point. This whole thing is a public execution by TG, and they will never give him the satisfaction. That whole “100k points better than weibe” or “55000 points left on the table” is just garbage propped up by TG, why should I care that they try to knock him down with it.

Good job using an impartial resource.  ::)

you can get the scores from the Twitch stream, and they still don't match.

did you miss the point that he didn't match his old scores, or do you really think
he got his exact scores.

using the twin galaxies site is the point, otherwise why would he try to sue them.
they're the ones that had his original scores in the first place.

and all this talk about not submitting tapes for scores is off, when clearly its
shown in many interviews that he has submitted scores on tapes.

later

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2019, 11:17:52 am »
I don't think I am making a difficult point to understand. It was only fanboi-ism that apparently made those exact numbers matter. Somebody at TG geeked out that Billy got exactly 100k over weibe. Now Billy, being told that his scores were moot sat down and got 100.2k over Weibe's old score and someone at TG geeked out because it was no longer exactly 100k over Weibe. Billy would have dragged out any score that was the record, regardless if he could put theatrics behind it or not.

I just don't subscribe to the bitter circle-jerkings of the Angry Twin Galaxies mob. Just because Guinness outsourced their inability to vet video game scores games to those guys doesn't make them a paragon of virtue and impartiality.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2019, 12:42:51 am »
To me it isn't a question of whether or not he cheated. It was how they treated the guy. Pretty sure Billy was playing on Mame at minimum, and the "investigation" outcome should probably not have changed, but TG handled it all like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

The whole process was run by a mob mentality, and he had a public investigation / execution. You can go out there and read it, post by post. Any comments on TG to the contrary of "destroy Billy Mitchell" over there was met with hostility. Billy is well within his rights to sue, because no other place that calls itself an legit organization runs its internal investigations like that.  If this was just a hobby website, sure, rip a guy to shreds for cheating. This was a cluster, and TG had a standard to hold, which they failed to do.

... well almost anything... short of ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME!

Playing the game is exactly what he did. He got to the grindstone and played constantly until he recreated both his questionable scores on legit hardware. I don't know what more you can expect from a guy blacklisted by most the high score community. That ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- doesn't matter over there. TG isn't going to reinstate any of his scores, even if he did a better job documenting it than 99% of the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- they allow.

By your logic,  if a MLB slugger gets caught doping ... OH,  it's OK... he can hit `em out of the park without the juice.

Are you OK with Lance Armstrong?  The man CAN obviously ride with the best ... but he STILL CHEATED!

This seems to be a difficult concept for some to comprehend for some strange reason.

Even my 10 year old son understands what makes Billy Mitchell a cheater... and it's not his ability or lack thereof at playing Donkey Kong.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:20:11 am by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2019, 01:30:56 am »
I'm with Frizzle on this one.  You seem to be making a ton of excuses for a man that has been caught cheating.  Yeah TG isn't free of guilt in this, but that doesn't make him any less guilty.  He cheated, so he doesn't get his scores restored.... end of discussion. 

Now because of TG's dirty hands the whole high score business should really be disbanded, but that's a completely different discussion. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2019, 11:24:14 am »
Now because of TG's dirty hands the whole high score business should really be disbanded, but that's a completely different discussion. 

That will Not happen. Significant high-scoring is about current and recent games. Billions of 'real' dollars in circulation. And people at Large seek praise and prestige.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:55:04 am by Mr. Peabody »

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2019, 02:44:03 pm »
By your logic,  if a MLB slugger gets caught doping ... OH,  it's OK... he can hit `em out of the park without the juice.

Are you OK with Lance Armstrong?  The man CAN obviously ride with the best ... but he STILL CHEATED!

This seems to be a difficult concept for some to comprehend for some strange reason.

Even my 10 year old son understands what makes Billy Mitchell a cheater... and it's not his ability or lack thereof at playing Donkey Kong.

Dude, not what I am saying at all! Maybe you only skimmed the posts, but I started this all by calling out the peanut gallery who claimed that Billy could restore his name by simply just repeating his scores. I called ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- on those people. I never argued that repeating his scores would restore his name. I pointed out he already did that and, surprise surprise, it means nothing! I am completely agreeing that the man is damaged goods.

The only other point I am making, which is in no way defending Billy or whatever behavior he was part of, is that TG ran his investigation like a shitshow. I think I made that point well enough, so I rest my case. I do question on a personal level whether or not he really cheated in the sense of using MAME to his advantage vs just using MAME out of convenience. But that is a point I haven't been arguing at all, as I understand it doesn't matter, the scores shouldn't count because he played in a way that no longer demonstrated he was only using his talent to achieve them.

They have changed hands and models so many times since being recognized as the paragon of high scores. Tons of scores have been lost or altered in the process. I have better faith BYOAC or KLOV could manage arcade high scores better than TG if we chose to do so.

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2019, 01:36:28 am »
The only other point I am making, which is in no way defending Billy or whatever behavior he was part of, is that TG ran his investigation like a shitshow.

Nope. they ran it by the books. You've either never read through all of the evidence or are just being obtuse on purpose. The data is so damning it's not even funny. The investigation went on for a really long time and was started by somebody far before it ever gained momentum at TG.

Go to the Donkey Kong forums and ask the players that have the top scores or read their threads.. The fact is that Billy did not have the skills to make those scores, even back then. That was why he cheated with MAME.

I do question on a personal level whether or not he really cheated in the sense of using MAME to his advantage vs just using MAME out of convenience.

I guess this answers my question of if you actually read through the TG evidence, which you clearly haven't. He used save states. He couldn't match Weibe's scores back then without playing each board over and over again until the RNG gave him high scoring barrel hits, etc. They actually went through and figured out the probability behind it and it's like he's winning the lottery on every level. He ABSOLUTELY used MAME to cheat everybody. And he continually said he had never used MAME over and over again, so itt's like a double ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- sandwich.

That was how this all gained momentum. DK players started getting better and better. The really great players watched his tapes and immediately recognized that this techniques just weren't sound for a marathon game session. It wasn't sustainable. (not to mention the girder drawings and other giveaways that were later discovered...) He only recently started practicing with all of the new skills and techniques that the top players use to match his own scores.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2019, 10:04:49 am »
The only other point I am making, which is in no way defending Billy or whatever behavior he was part of, is that TG ran his investigation like a shitshow.

Nope. they ran it by the books. You've either never read through all of the evidence or are just being obtuse on purpose. The data is so damning it's not even funny. The investigation went on for a really long time and was started by somebody far before it ever gained momentum at TG.

Go to the Donkey Kong forums and ask the players that have the top scores or read their threads.. The fact is that Billy did not have the skills to make those scores, even back then. That was why he cheated with MAME.

Again, everybody is proving my points while thinking they are arguing me. The PROBLEM is that everything was held out in the open. That is the OPPOSITE of by the books. You investigate someone, you don't make your investigation public. I don't want to be able to read the "damning evidence" in a post by post. They effectively publicly turned the knife on Billy, knowing that he has ongoing affairs invested in his gaming. That is swaying the court of public opinion and making it impossible for Billy to have a fair appeal. Sure, he probably cheated, but what about the next person who didn't but is accused of cheating?

To the rest of your garbage post i'm not even going to respond to because I told you I am not arguing for or against Billy at all. I honestly don't give a crap if he drew in his high score with a sharpie on the monitor to achieve it. I would be willing to bet over 50% of the scores on TG involved cheating. Probably higher. Most stuff they look at 20 seconds and pop in a score without looking back. Limp-dicked mob outrage is the only thing I can find consistent about how they handle their affairs over there.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 11:23:05 am »
we have seen over and over instances of players cheating at speedrun times... and usually they get found out pretty fast... usually becasue:

A: IRL game mechanics don't work they way they do in the run.
B: video submission shows evidence of splicing.
C: submission contains things inhumanly possible.
D: players submit replayed/segmented/spliced runs played back in mame instead of playing on actual hardware as often required on some classes of records.

while it is thought by the layman, that things in games come down to randomness due to the use of random number generators... the actual fact is.... "random" number generators or RNG can be manipulated, set and predicted in computers. the "random" number inside a computer is actually pseudorandom list of numbers and in actual fact, a perfectly predictable list of numbers that continuously tick through the system (a randomly generated number not using a seed will always return the same set of numbers every single time a program requests a random number from the system).... it's what the programers DO to choose the number you will use that determines the number you revive back from the system. a system reset and played back the exact same way to the exact same frame... will behave the same every single time. so developers use random like things like player input to try and make the RNG more random by, for instance, requesting and throwing away X amount of random numbers every time the player presses right. except when you do things like playback inputs in mame to "play" the game... the game always performs exactly the same and the "randomness" is no longer random. this fact can be used to prove the use of segmented runs in plays.

for example in super mario bros. on the NES, the final bowser fight hammer throw patterns seem "random" except they aren't random... the first set of hammer throws can be condensed down to a handful of patterns depending on what has happened way back in an earlier level. people who are piecing together play thoughs can be caught by the simple fact that the earlier thing that determined the end fight didn't happen and something else should have happened.

the inhuman things like moves performed that require things like pressing buttons on alternating frames or impossible combinations on a joystick (like up AND down or left AND right at the same time)

billy's lie clearly fits in section D. (for dick) he has always saying he played DK on a real machine. video evidence HE showed, displayed levels drawn incorrectly as displayed in mame... level transitions drawn in such a way that only MAME draws them. While the emulation is good, emulation is not exact. the play field in real hardware is drawn in a different order than it does in mame. Billy's video he showed off of his amazing play through shows his play fields where drawn by mame, not actual hardware. he doubles down on his lie with his crazy swap video which was said to be faked...triples down on the lie saying it's legit...but then also proved to be faked, then reneges on it saying it was done for parody purposes... quadruples down on it saying those arent his tapes, they are fakes put out by dwane richard.  uhm no, you got busted bigtime. you are backpaddling.

the amount of things of he said where true and found to be suspect is ever growing and anything he says now is treated with suspicion. how can we trust anything he says/does or any of his cronies who helped him? changing stories...fake board swap video...use of mame playbacks...lousy IRL game performances...no evidence record submissions... couple all this with his ridiculous rebuttals for any evidence put against him... oh the video converter must have made it look like mame. WUT?  Dwane said he was gonna make fake tapes to frame me, those aren't my tapes. WUT?

i'm telling you all here today...this is Todd's dragster all over again. he's lied and lied and lied and he's willing to go down with his ship.

DeJarvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2019, 12:33:37 pm
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2019, 12:33:37 pm »
Billy's video he showed off of his amazing play through shows his play fields where drawn by mame, not actual hardware. he doubles down on his lie with his crazy swap video which was said to be faked...triples down on the lie saying it's legit...but then also proved to be faked, then reneges on it saying it was done for parody purposes... quadruples down on it saying those arent his tapes, they are fakes put out by dwane richard.

Nice summary. So what's his actual legit high-score?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2019, 04:47:21 pm »
Nice summary. So what's his actual legit high-score?

he went to a sanctioned evens called KONG OFF and competed against other players for high score. his playstyle there was noticed that it was nowhere near the level of his "recordings" and served to only raise more suspicion.

http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3a55dd76aceb2e93ad6c2454d21c5f53&topic=666.0

i mean, the guy can play and get some pretty respectable scores... he just chooses to lie about how good he is. whether it's down to him hitting a wall and not being able to get any better or found out how easy it was to just record and use save states.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2019, 02:47:57 pm »
a nice long overview, and interview with Billy:

https://egmnow.com/the-split-screen-man/

later