Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 15khz and regular Lcd same gpu Help  (Read 2607 times)

m.andrade1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2023, 09:56:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
15khz and regular Lcd same gpu Help
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
Hello Guys
Have a Ati 5450 with VGA and DVI ports, on vga port itīs running win7 64bit CRT_Emudriver beta 8 with 15khz, GM 0.194b running perfect with an arcade monitor.
Is it possible to get a regular LCD on DVI port with itīs on desktop and everything, i mean not just to display marquee on dvi port, but use it as a regular pc with lcd display, the reason for that i want to play around with some HLSL just to check if itīs good or not.
Doing that want to keep my arcade setup untouched, with my desktop thru vga 320x240, 15khz, running beaultifully.
And want to have a secondary port with lcd running regular footage 1280x960 or 1600x1200(4:3) with itīs own desktop and plan to have 2 GM versions, one that already have (Generic_15) and another with LCD setup
Any clue how start it will be very glad !

Thanks
Marcos
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:35:22 pm by m.andrade1 »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: 15khz and regular Lcd same gpu Help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:15:14 pm »
Yes, it's possible. The other thread on the front page about 15kHz and 31kHz monitors applies, even though it's technically about marquees.

m.andrade1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2023, 09:56:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:10:13 am »
Hello buttersoft
Thank you so much for your help !
Will follow those steps, but do you think i can have diferent desktop with individual resolutions, on the vga port 320x240 15khz, and the dvi port 1600x1200 with regular LCD hkz?
Iīm a CRT fan! but as people are talking much about HLSL stuff, decide to give a try, to see the results if worth, do you have any experience with that, i have a 4:3 Dell Ultrasharp 2007fp monitor, with very good contrast and brightess settings, i think will try some fake scanlines and effects on that !
Did you make any tests on that ?

Thanks
Marcos

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:02:39 pm »
...do you think i can have diferent desktop with individual resolutions, on the vga port 320x240 15khz, and the dvi port 1600x1200 with regular LCD hkz?

Yes. The EDID for each monitor tells the driver what that monitor can handle, and the driver tells windows. The CRT has it's EDID emulated by crt_emudriver if you have a 5000 series or newer Radeon card. The LCD provides it's own EDID the same as all newer monitors do.

All my MAME/GroovyMAME efforts have been bent on 15kHz - i know nothing about HLSL or filters or CRT shaders save that none of them look quite right to me. And that's even before you take into account that a photo of a butterfly looks nothing like the butterfly itself in motion, if you follow me. But that's personal preference for you ;)