Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any clue why there's barely any arcade game for PC/consoles?  (Read 6609 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Any clue why there's barely any arcade game for PC/consoles?
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:15:30 pm »
I was just reading in another thread about some games that I had never seen and @BadMouth put some links to more games from the same people:

The manufacturer has a bunch of racing games I've never heard of: http://en.wahlap.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=52

The games are actually made by IGS: http://www.igs.com.tw/w/WebSite/EN/games.php?BID=Simulate&BTI=ArcadeGameCList

Do you guys know why there are not more release of this type of games? I mean, in the racing genre there are loads of different titles but the tend to be more simulation and rarely ever one of the arcade type reach a home release.

Taking into account that the real arcades are not that popular anymore, doesn't it make sense for companies to make home releases at all? even if some of them don't reach an arcade machine, I guess it'd be more profitable for them to just be able to distribute it worldwide to all possible gamers...

Mainly curious to see if there's an underlying reason that I had not thought about.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Any clue why there's barely any arcade game for PC/consoles?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:47:12 pm »
Licensing and cost is probably the main reasons.

Also a general lack of interest from the public.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:43:52 am
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:59:11 am »
This looks fun (extended version of a mobile game). Not quite the same though! http://store.steampowered.com/app/808080/Ultimate_Racing_2D/
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 07:38:37 am »
Like Tich said, there just isn't enough interest in arcade racers within the PC community unfortunately. I mean, you have your Forza and GRID lovers of course, but other than here and sometimes at NeoGaf/Era, rarely do I see anyone talk about how much they love ie OutRun 2, Daytona, Ridge Racer, Initial D, .....you know, the *REAL* arcade quality racing games. We're pretty much all here in this forum LOL.  :lol

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:30:48 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:58:33 am »
I blame the rise of the Sim racer for edging arcade racers out of the public spotlight. But here's the thing though, I just don't get the popularity of those games myself. I've never understood their appeal, they just seem like such a grind to unlock stuff on top of play mechanics that seem so focused on realism (like having to brake to almost a complete stop before going round pretty much every single corner or getting penalised for crashing into the other racers) that (to me) they just don't seem like any fun. I've tried on multiple occasions to get into them, but no matter how much I play them I've never got to a point where I feel I'm enjoying them. But yet, people must enjoy them because otherwise the games companies wouldn't keep churning them out ad infinitum every year. I just don't get what it is I'm not getting from the experience of playing these games that other people are.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »
Lack of interest of the public as some of you guys have said is what I was thinking as well, although I think part of it is because there's not much advertising about arcade style games so people just buy or are interested in things that they know about. But not sure if companies ever tried to release those kind of games and promote them properly for a while and they didn't succeeded, whilst they are much more profitable with sim racers for example or they didn't even bother to try. As it's not that we see one release a year or every couple of years of arcade racers, sometimes they only thing I can find is simulation games, which like @MrThunderwing... I've tried a few times but I don't end up getting hooked into them.

Licensing and cost is probably the main reasons.

Also a general lack of interest from the public.
Regarding licensing and costs,  just to know what you had in mind, you meant due to sharing something with an arcade cabinet?
I was even thinking about companies creating those kind of games from scratch just to release at home (PCs or consoles), where the costs I guess would be a lot less than a simulation game but that rarely tends to happen...

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 07:36:45 pm »
I blame the rise of the Sim racer for edging arcade racers out of the public spotlight. But here's the thing though, I just don't get the popularity of those games myself. I've never understood their appeal, they just seem like such a grind to unlock stuff on top of play mechanics that seem so focused on realism (like having to brake to almost a complete stop before going round pretty much every single corner or getting penalised for crashing into the other racers) that (to me) they just don't seem like any fun. I've tried on multiple occasions to get into them, but no matter how much I play them I've never got to a point where I feel I'm enjoying them. But yet, people must enjoy them because otherwise the games companies wouldn't keep churning them out ad infinitum every year. I just don't get what it is I'm not getting from the experience of playing these games that other people are.

+1

I don't get it either. Maybe it's just that realism and racing sim gear is possible, compared to realism in something like the FPS genre? IDK. I love games with reasonable content, SR3 for example is pretty light on, but it's still more fun. It's like the whole racing community bar a few holdouts have decided game mechanics are no longer fun. The FPS genre hasn't, the fighting genre hasn't, the moba genre hasn't. I mean, MK64's drift mechanic was amazing, so much fun to learn. Fighting games have complex super moves and combos. Quake had bunnyhopping. To my mind it's things like this that make gaming fun, that make RL games like pool or snooker fun, mastering specific if pointless hand-eye-coordinations, and out-thinking your opponents on the fly while doing so. That's why Outrun 2 is so hot. I realise driving a real car involves hand-eye coordination, but so does hiking.

It's like Arcade racing needs to be a whole different genre, but after sim racers all we seem to be getting now are those streaky easy-to-play mobile games that are all grim colours until you hit the boost button and warp into cool-mode for 12-year-olds. Not that burnout wasn't fun, but someone actually innovating would be nice :( This is the reason TP has been a blessing. It's only the racing games that get much love on the disc, anyway :)

Any news on 90's Arcade Racer? Or Supermodel networking? Or Racing Apex? Or Drift Stage?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:54:22 pm by buttersoft »

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:48:38 am »
I am a fan of arcade racers, but that era died out in the 90's. That's the real reason why these games don't make it.
They just don't offer the replay value of sim racers. Sure sega tried with all their classic games, Daytona, Sega Rally (up to Revo/3).

But the sales just weren't there.

---------------------------------------------

I only like the Forza series from Microsoft, and have played versions 2-6 so far, extensively. And that's just one game.

If you want, you can set to an arcade like mode, and thats good enough.

They offer way more gameplay, and you can tweak the realism, and the competitive AI to whatever suits you. There is a learning curve, that's way harder than
any arcade game will ever be.

-----------------------------------------------

I still play a lot of the older games on emulators, but there is no competition there, and the lack of features and gameplay hinders the game.

As I have pointed out as an example, the Sega Rally 3 version pales in comparison to Revo, and even the recent Daytona Deluxe (played on the PC), only had
about a week of interest in gameplay, and now other games look much more interesting.

The game companies and developers would get very little in return putting these on a PC, now putting them on a console might fare a little better, but they would
need a lot of enhancements, just to make them worthwhile, like Daytona, with new modes, HD, and multiplayer.

Arcade racing games on the PC have no place in this day and age.

later
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:52:20 am by negative1 »

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:53 am »
This one's still coming (this year apparently):
https://twitter.com/racingapexgame
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 03:30:02 pm »
Here's another, which looks pretty interesting:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 07:58:07 pm »
Any news on 90's Arcade Racer? Or Supermodel networking? Or Racing Apex? Or Drift Stage?

No news on 90's Arcade Racer (or 90's Super GP or whatever it's called now). Supermodel networking is now a thing though, but at present in order to get a network running you need to disable multi-threading in both versions of the emulator, which means the games run in slow-mo as you're running them on just one CPU core.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=156686.0

Going back to the sim vs arcade racer debate, it's funny that despite the apparent lack of content in old skool arcade racers I never-ever felt short change by them. Sega Rally on the Saturn only had 4 stages and 3 cars and Daytona USA CCE only had 5 stages and, er, can't remember how many cars (and 2 horses!) but both of those games kept me coming back to them for months after I bought them. Maybe it was something to do with being a university student with limited funds back then and therefore not being able to get games all that often, so when I did make a purchase I felt I had to wring every last drop of gameplay out of it. Ahhh, good times...

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:47:05 am »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 11:37:55 am »

Going back to the sim vs arcade racer debate, it's funny that despite the apparent lack of content in old skool arcade racers I never-ever felt short change by them. Sega Rally on the Saturn only had 4 stages and 3 cars and Daytona USA CCE only had 5 stages and, er, can't remember how many cars (and 2 horses!) but both of those games kept me coming back to them for months after I bought them. Maybe it was something to do with being a university student with limited funds back then and therefore not being able to get games all that often, so when I did make a purchase I felt I had to wring every last drop of gameplay out of it. Ahhh, good times...

Yes,  I played sega rally for at least a year in the arcades, before the home version came out. Played Daytona for months, and virtua racing for at least a year also.

I never saw sega rally 2 in the arcades, but the home versions were much better, especially with the 10 year championship, and better gameplay.

I played indy 500 for several months in the arcade, and that was the last arcade racer I played.

I never saw or cared for any of the Scud Race, Daytona 2, etc, etc, until supermodel came out. I'm still playing all those games now, but find them severely lacking in any kind of challenge or gameplay improvements.

---

The old arcade racers are from a different era, and again, trying to have similar gameplay on the PC, just doesn't hold up today. Sega is doing the right thing by NOT bringing those games to the PC.

If they really feel like it, maybe put them on the XBOX, and add some achievements, price them cheap, and call it a day. They are no match for any modern racing games, which are a lot more fun
and colorful (Check out the Hot wheels expansion for Forza Horizons).

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 04:16:53 pm »
There's nothing wrong with the arcade racers, the problem is the pricing.  To make it a good value sega would have to either bundle a few of them together as a collection or sell the individual games at a super low price like 5-10 dollars.  Either way it would be difficult for them to turn a profit.  I know nuts like us would pay a premium for ports, but the average joe wouldn't. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:15 pm »
There's nothing wrong with the arcade racers, the problem is the pricing.  To make it a good value sega would have to either bundle a few of them together as a collection or sell the individual games at a super low price like 5-10 dollars.  Either way it would be difficult for them to turn a profit.  I know nuts like us would pay a premium for ports, but the average joe wouldn't.

Currently :

Daytona USA is $9.99 - which is about right

Sega Rally Online was ? - i think it was $14.99 or maybe it was $9.99 too, which is about right

Crazy Taxi is $9.99 - which is right

All the games had extra modes added alongside the arcade mode, some hidden features, and some had online play.

----------------

If a game is going to be more than $10 forget it. Yes, they could bundle some together, but I would rather just buy the games I like separately,
unless there was a discount for getting more than one.

At this point, could they even get the licenses for the cars, and other properties?

They couldn't manage to keep Sega Rally online for a few years, so they probably would have trouble keeping other ones.

Besides people here, who even cares about Scud Race, or Sega Touring Car, or Manx TT, or Indy 500, Ferarri F355, or Le mans 24 etc.

later

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 01:32:48 pm »

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 04:28:33 pm »
Can't get more arcade than this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/389140/Horizon_Chase_Turbo/

Thanks!, it looks good... I was thinking about big companies creating arcade games when I initiated the thread but I've come to the conclusion that for this kind of games is going to be more like indie games and ports of mobile versions what we're going to get. Which in some cases might be even good and in theory a lot cheaper...

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 07:57:07 pm »
OnRush from Codemasters is arcade.

The Asphalt games are available on Windows Store for Win10, but they're laden with micro transactions :-/

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 07:13:29 pm »
Can't get more arcade than this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/389140/Horizon_Chase_Turbo/

That does look kinda neat, I might have to give it a try.

I would highly recommend any PS4 owners here who after some high speed racing fun that doesn't involve cars to check out WipEout Omega Collection and Riptide GP Renegade. They are both superb.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 06:59:59 pm »

Here are some more details about the xbox version, coming out later this year:
https://www.trueachievements.com/n32298/retroinspired-racer-horizon-chase-turbo-announced

A lot of content is promised, including "12 Cups, 48 Cities, 110 tracks, 26 Unlockable Cars and 10 Upgrades." There is no online aside from playing against your friends' ghosts,
plus online leaderboards, but there is up to four-player split-screen.

later

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 01:01:01 am »
The iOS and Android version (horizon Chase) is excellent with music tracks supplied from a veteran of the industry (Barry Leitch).   Check out the various youtube vids, Horizon Chase is a rather awesome Outrun inspired arcade racer, pretty sure the PC version will be excellent, with the only issue for me is the rather agressive pricing typical pc releases sell for nowadays versus $7 I think I paid for the iOS version. In saying that, we will find out soon enough with the May 15th release

FYI, I've asked on steam forums about multi-monitor, steering wheel/force feedback; I'll let you know if they respond.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 06:39:01 am »

FYI, I've asked on steam forums about multi-monitor, steering wheel/force feedback; I'll let you know if they respond.

Please do. Also, can you shift the driving views to either bumper or hood cam?

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 06:58:41 am »
Driving views: I'll ask but pretty sure there aren't any different views then what you are seeing in the screenshots, as it would lose what they are trying to achieve (outrun/top gear/lotus turbo)

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 09:28:32 am »
Wheeeee! Looks GOOD:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 06:37:00 pm »
That's looking way better than it was, I didn't really care too much for the early footage with the cars shooting each other with machine guns and stuff. Might have to add this to the future purchases list.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 08:58:23 am »
Miracles do happen (no, not 90s Arcade Racer), Drift Stage has finally got a page on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/349470/Drift_Stage/

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 03:55:05 pm »
Wheeeee! Looks GOOD:

Any idea what's the plan with this game? I heard of it like 2 years ago, but not sure if this will ever be released or for which systems?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 07:57:46 pm »
Miracles do happen (no, not 90s Arcade Racer), Drift Stage has finally got a page on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/349470/Drift_Stage/

Awesome. I dream of this having LAN, but i know it won't.