Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Some modes offset to the right. Any way to normalize?  (Read 2349 times)

Tzakiel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 12:59:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Some modes offset to the right. Any way to normalize?
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:51:42 am »
I’m using crt_emudriver and the 15khz generic modelines for now, with a Sony 20m4u pvm monitor.

A number of common modes seem to display offset to the right, leaving a black gap on the left and running off the right side of the display. Other modes seem more centered.

Here’s a photo showing this:

Is there any way to normalize the position of the display? I have the monitor set up for a variety of 15khz retro consoles which are all centered/framed correctly.
My Fighter CRT Cabinet Thread: Tzakiel's 2P Cabinet

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz

josete2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 10:54:41 pm
Re: Some modes offset to the right. Any way to normalize?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:41:51 am »
easily done - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156819.msg1648221.html#msg1648221

Nice, I want to center some resolutions too. Because if I have TMNT centered Street Fighter II is displayed to the right.

So, how can I set this range with selected resolutions? Because last time I test it, image was displayed to the left in all games, so Street Fighter was 100% center es but TMNT don't.

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:22:15 pm »
easily done - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156819.msg1648221.html#msg1648221

I guess I’m not doing it right. I opened up a mode I see an offset in, I went to horizontal geometry, changed the H CENTER from 12/15 to 10/15, 7/15 etc and test, and it looks the same no matter what I choose. Am I doing this right? I did see a change in another mode however when doing this same process on it. But it didn’t seem to affect my game (it’s a dosbox game actually, not mame)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:47 pm »
I guess I’m not doing it right. I opened up a mode I see an offset in, I went to horizontal geometry, changed the H CENTER from 12/15 to 10/15, 7/15 etc and test, and it looks the same no matter what I choose. Am I doing this right? I did see a change in another mode however when doing this same process on it. But it didn’t seem to affect my game (it’s a dosbox game actually, not mame)

You're not allowed to be using the mode you want to adjust. Set your desktop to a different mode, then go into the mode you want in ArcadeOSD and play with it. Sometimes it seems to get stuck, so try restarting if you have problems. You also can't modify the EDID-emulated 480i mode, or anyway I can't. I'm not sure about other modes set in EDID, so maybe Calamity can weigh in.

Nice, I want to center some resolutions too. Because if I have TMNT centered Street Fighter II is displayed to the right.
So, how can I set this range with selected resolutions? Because last time I test it, image was displayed to the left in all games, so Street Fighter was 100% center es but TMNT don't.

You can use ini files to do this. In the ini folder under your main GroovyMAME folder, make a txt file and rename it  tmnt.ini, for example. Copy any lines you want from mame.ini into it. In this case all you want is the crt_range0 line. Then you adjust the horizontal timings in the tmnt.ini file only, to adjust the horizontal position for that game alone.

You can use something like neogeo.ini to affect all neo-geo games, and then i think add mslug3.ini on top. So mame.ini gives way to values in neogeo.ini which in turn give way to values in mslug3.ini. Keeping everything in the mame.ini and only using the bits you want to change per machine or per game keeps the ini files simple, and means you don't have to wade through mountains of configs to fault find - trust me, i've made that mistake.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:10:02 am by buttersoft »

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:15:39 pm »
Thanks butter- I was trying to adjust the current mode so that makes sense. As for my other changes not affecting the game, is there some way I can identify which mode is being used for a given app? It’s dosbox and scummvm games.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:22:20 pm »
Thanks butter- I was trying to adjust the current mode so that makes sense. As for my other changes not affecting the game, is there some way I can identify which mode is being used for a given app? It’s dosbox and scummvm games.

There must be, but i don't know an easy one outside mame. Post up if you uncover something functional :)

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 02:24:26 am »
Butter- so I am trying to fix a mode that neo geo uses. It says switchres 320x224 59.xxxxx

But when I go to arcadeosd that mode isn’t listed. Only the 60.xxx mode. Shouldn’t all available modes be listed? So I don’t know how to find that mode to adjust it.

Just tried a few more games and more often than not the mode mame reports isn’t one I see in arcadeosd. There is a slight mismatch between 59 and 60hz usually.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:49:33 am by Tzakiel »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:15 am »
Butter- so I am trying to fix a mode that neo geo uses. It says switchres 320x224 59.xxxxx

But when I go to arcadeosd that mode isn’t listed. Only the 60.xxx mode. Shouldn’t all available modes be listed? So I don’t know how to find that mode to adjust it.

Just tried a few more games and more often than not the mode mame reports isn’t one I see in arcadeosd. There is a slight mismatch between 59 and 60hz usually.

If you followed the guides to setting up crt_emudriver and VMM, you won't have a 320x224 mode. Or anyway you don't need it. What you will have is a 2560x240 mode. With super_width set to 2560 in mame.ini, and resolution set to 2560x0 but no other changes, GroovyMAME's inbuilt switchres utility will grab the 2560x240 mode as being the closest vertical match to 224. It will recalculate the mode at the Neo-Geo's refresh rate (59.19Hz IIRC) and of the visible 240 lines will leave 8 black lines at the top and 8 at the bottom, with 224 used in the middle. It recalculates the mode based on the constraints you set with the monitor preset and/or crt_range0 line, which represent what you have told it your CRT can handle. It stretches out horizontally to 2560 but keeps the 4:3 physical aspect because that's what your tube is, and even if this wasn't a perfect integer multiple (8x320) it's near- if not completely undetectable; it's the vertical stretching you need to avoid.

Part of the reason you don't need a 320x224 or even 2560x224 mode is that to keep it at ~15.7kHz it will need a larger vertical blanking interval, and thus have the same total number of lines, and thus will be the same physical size as a 240p mode with 8 blank lines top and bottom. Have a look at this thread as well - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157000.0.html

There's nothing stopping you from using a 320x224 or 320x240 mode though, but it gets recalculated as described above and comes out at the Neo-Geo's exact refresh rate of 59.19Hz, which is what you want because that's true to the original.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 08:40:18 pm by buttersoft »

Tzakiel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 08:25:19 am »
Thanks for the explanation. Not sure what it is about my setup, maybe the fact that I have a high res and a crt monitor, or something else, but the super res part of setup has always failed for me at some point. Maybe I’ll try again some day.

In the meantime what I have done is edit the mame.ini porch values to what looks good and then updated vmmaker monitor.ini and rebuilt all my modes with the new porch values. So far everything looks good, although inexplicably dosbox now doesn’t want to launch games full screen unless I change them all to opengl output Instead of overlay. I have no idea why, they always worked fine before.