Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help with Golden Axe PCB weird text problem  (Read 3158 times)

action76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 12:00:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need help with Golden Axe PCB weird text problem
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:53:06 pm »
Got a very clean Golden Axe board that I have de-suicided. Boots and plays fine but has some scrambled background issues and some weird problem with text that I have not seen anywhere on anything I have looked up. I cannot even go into test mode to troubleshoot because I cannot read anything. Anybody have any idea where to look or what to do to try and clear up the garbled text so I can troubleshoot further?
Thanks

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
Re: Need help with Golden Axe PCB weird text problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:33 pm »
I dont have a golden axe or I could try and help to get you to test mode.. wonder if mame could help or if anyone with a golden axe would step up!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Need help with Golden Axe PCB weird text problem
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:19:33 pm »
A few easy things to try first:

- Check the board for any physical damage. Even the smallest scratch could mess things up for you

- Clean the Jamma edge connector

- pull the roms off, clean the legs, then re-seat them

- increase the voltage. sometimes these old boards just need a bit more juice to get them to play nice

- when running, try pushing down on some of the custom IC's and see if that changes anything.  Also check to see if anything feels hot to the touch. Might help narrow some problems down

These are the low-hanging fruit things you can try, before having to dive into the schematics and logic probe stuff.