Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where did all the down time go?  (Read 13293 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Where did all the down time go?
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 11:48:47 pm »
In my anecdotal experience, the private schools pay worse but you get all that “prestige” that won’t pay the rent.

:dunno

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 11:51:52 pm »
Your anecdotal experience is way different than mine. I got a healthy bump when I made the move, plus they pay for my cel phone.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2018, 12:28:37 am »
That’s cool, man.  I think they treat public school teachers slightly better here.  Ever so slightly.

:cheers:

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2018, 01:01:54 am »
It todaly depends on your state. In NYC poblick schools almost always pay better. We max out at $113,762 and that’s not counting summer school or $50 an Hr pricession. It takes a long time to get to the top here. In the suburbs it’s higher and you get to the top quicker.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:03:39 am by Locke141 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2018, 01:18:25 am »
$113k? Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 01:28:53 am »
   Makes me wonder what the point of this thread actually is?.... Money aside, one would have to think of union benefits and summers off (whats that like 180 days?) Seems if you really did want to build a few games one could find some time.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 09:34:32 am »
It takes 20 years to get to the top and you need to have 30 credits over your masters. I’m no ware near that. NYC is exspensive, with my wife taking off to spend with the kids I’m going to need to work this summer school and that’s a lot of work.

You have a point. I may have no time now but there will be time at some point.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 02:00:02 pm »
I’ve lived where you live and in no way is your tax system the same as other areas.

:tool:

I live in Illinois. You lived in Mo, right? Different worlds.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2018, 02:27:20 pm »
Yes, but I worked in St. Louis and paid city, county, and state income tax.  If Illinois is worse, I’m sorry to hear it. There was no obvious destination for those tax dollars in Missouri.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2018, 08:21:14 am »
Makes me wonder what the point of this thread actually is?

He was asking how we carve out time for projects, I made it about money, kinda. Was hoping to get other peeps to help chip into his cause. I'm still going to see what gear I can possibly send him, we're redoing our data center so I'm hoping I have some stuff he can make use of. I *know* we don't have any 5 port switches though.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2018, 04:10:12 pm »
All I have is consumer grade stuff.  Got plenty of old routers taking up space though.  ;)

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 05:43:15 pm »
Malenko hit it on the head. I found my self wishing for time and missed hanging ont here. Stared this thread with that in mind. My build may still be on hold but I’m back on the boards.

Malenko I would be happy to use a 24 port or two, if you don’t have a better use for it. Thanks Howard but don’t have a use for any routers.

Today was hectic at work. Computers centers 4 through 6 arrived and I’ll be spending my lunch brack over the next three days seti g them up in my special education classrooms. Lad 7’s funding is coming along.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2018, 06:43:30 pm »
Donated.  We need more good teachers like you in our classrooms.  Thanks for posting the link, and thanks to Malenko for getting it started.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 07:14:45 pm »
Donated.  We need more good teachers like you in our classrooms.  Thanks for posting the link, and thanks to Malenko for getting it started.

Thank you Arroyo. My students and I are great full.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:31 pm »

Thank you Arroyo. My students and I are great full.

:blank:

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »
The irony is, when I do have time - it feels very expensive to spend it going for a new high score.Not expensive money-wise, but expensive in that I should be doing something else with my time. It makes it hard to enjoy the simple things in life. Right now, I'm happy having the machines around.

My girls are 5 and 7 and we've started playing more games together. Currently playing Mario Kart 8, so that makes it a combo of family time and video games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 12:37:46 am »
And that's why I love Nintendo.  You can buy the games for yourself because the gameplay is sophisticated enough and yet they are easy enough for non-gamers to enjoy and the content is always family friendly. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 10:32:40 am »
Sent a little your way Locke141, thanks for doing stuff like this!

I might have a couple old small switches lying around, and I think we still have a stack of old 16-24 port switches in the closet if you would like them.  Drop me a PM if you are interested.

On the family note, if I could offer any advice, it would be to never put the hobby before the kids, and figure out how to put the hobby before the wife once in a while. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2018, 02:36:28 pm »
And that's why I love Nintendo.  You can buy the games for yourself because the gameplay is sophisticated enough and yet they are easy enough for non-gamers to enjoy and the content is always family friendly.

I beat my kids maybe 1 out of 10 times in mario kart on the wi-u.
I victory dance for no less than 5 mins. :)

something about nintendo. I have an rpi based mini NES and SNES setup on the hdmi switch and both kids will play mario brother's and yoshi's isalnd I think on it plus the kirby games. my 11yr old coaches me on Zelda on the NES.
He saw a walkthrough on youtube once.
which his memory would be that good when it comes to school. lol.

My kids are chomping at the bit for me to finish the mame cab I started.
They want to play mario bros. and donkey kong because they are the originals.

With summer slowly coming I can get the broken down cab pieces outside and get them painted and they can can help.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2018, 09:17:06 pm »

I beat my kids maybe 1 out of 10 times in mario kart on the wi-u.
I victory dance for no less than 5 mins. :)

something about nintendo. I have an rpi based mini NES and SNES setup on the hdmi switch and both kids will play mario brother's and yoshi's isalnd I think on it plus the kirby games. my 11yr old coaches me on Zelda on the NES.
He saw a walkthrough on youtube once.
which his memory would be that good when it comes to school. lol.

My kids are chomping at the bit for me to finish the mame cab I started.
They want to play mario bros. and donkey kong because they are the originals.

With summer slowly coming I can get the broken down cab pieces outside and get them painted and they can can help.

Looking forward to getting my kids involved in nerd stuff.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 07:12:11 pm »
I spent 21 years as an educator in public schools. The only way I found I could make more money was to move to a private school this year.

That’s unfortunate, it would be unusual to make more in a private school here. Good luck to our brother and sister in the Arizona public schools in there fight for fair pay.

By the way, my 7th lad just got funded! Thanks to the guys from here who donate. I’m going to try posting multiple projects for labs at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:59:24 pm by Locke141 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 09:57:38 pm »
Fair pay? So, what is fair pay for a teacher anyhow?

From a consumer point of view, I had 100's of teachers over the years and only a handful of good ones, the vast majority were going through the motions, and a decent amount of bad teachers. I would love for the good teachers to get more money, but it's a government job with great hours, a good retirement plan, and there is no way to pay the good teachers a good salary without paying all the lazy bones too. To me, that sounds like a union job.

I would support tips for teachers. Pretty sure teachers feel like they are above tips, but I'm just not sure how we could directly increase good teachers salaries without feeding a pile of money into the machine with hopes of some of it going to the teachers.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:11 pm »
Fair pay? So, what is fair pay for a teacher anyhow?

From a consumer point of view, I had 100's of teachers over the years and only a handful of good ones, the vast majority were going through the motions, and a decent amount of bad teachers. I would love for the good teachers to get more money, but it's a government job with great hours, a good retirement plan, and there is no way to pay the good teachers a good salary without paying all the lazy bones too. To me, that sounds like a union job.

I would support tips for teachers. Pretty sure teachers feel like they are above tips, but I'm just not sure how we could directly increase good teachers salaries without feeding a pile of money into the machine with hopes of some of it going to the teachers.
Not sure if you are aware (most people outside of the financial services are not), but pension contributions and subsequent pay for teachers is in lieu of social security contributions.  Teachers therefore (in almost all cases) will not gain access to social security.  As teachers typically make substantially less then their private counterparts (particularly at the collegiate level) there isn’t a lot of benefits from a financial perspective to be a teacher.  Therefore one has to believe they are in it (or at least initially) for the genuine interest in educating the future working class, which will be the folks who will be paying into social security, medi-care, taxes, etc via income and property taxes so that when we reach an age of relying on those services they are funded.

I agree that tenure can be a touchy subject which may allow some teachers to slump into mediocrity, but on the whole I’m all for incentivizing smart capable people into teaching.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 11:32:54 pm »
Heh... someone complains that their teachers are mediocre and therefore don't deserve a raise when, in reality they are mediocre BECAUSE they don't get a raise.  The only way to get a better quality worker in any field is to offer better pay.... then more qualified professionals will be willing to apply for the job.  That being said teachers should absolutely be held accountable for the education level of their students.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2018, 12:00:34 am »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 01:22:33 am »
Heh... someone complains that their teachers are mediocre and therefore don't deserve a raise when, in reality they are mediocre BECAUSE they don't get a raise.  The only way to get a better quality worker in any field is to offer better pay.... then more qualified professionals will be willing to apply for the job.  That being said teachers should absolutely be held accountable for the education level of their students.

Maybe for some.

When house prices and house sales were booming, it's not like Realtors became more qualified. In Information Technology, the higher wages doesn't guarantee you'll get a more qualified professional. Just more crap to wade through when your'e hiring. Good wages help, but I'd argue that the good teachers now, would be the same good teachers if their wages doubled. The crappy ones are still going to be crappy.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 02:06:12 am »
Would that hold true for your profession?  If your industry were to be devalued and your pay significantly reduced would you continue to do the work?  I think that question becomes particularly difficult to answer when it starts to impact ones ability to afford some of the more desirable things like home ownership.  Obviously it’s regionally dependent but I can say that where I live teachers are mostly commuters with a typical hour drive to and from work as they cannot afford housing in the area they teach.

For the record I am definitely a capitalist, I just think we have to be careful where we place our values so that we don’t fall behind the rest of the world.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 05:35:29 am »
Would that hold true for your profession?  If your industry were to be devalued and your pay significantly reduced would you continue to do the work?  I think that question becomes particularly difficult to answer when it starts to impact ones ability to afford some of the more desirable things like home ownership.  Obviously it’s regionally dependent but I can say that where I live teachers are mostly commuters with a typical hour drive to and from work as they cannot afford housing in the area they teach.

For the record I am definitely a capitalist, I just think we have to be careful where we place our values so that we don’t fall behind the rest of the world.
All industries are not a given, Tech changes by the day and as such some jobs are phased out all together, adapt or die....while it would be fun to think a teacher could save humanity, truth is they would most likely struggle in private sector in their respective fields, even if they could find a job.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 06:52:22 am »
Tenyour doesn’t work how most people think. I have it and get observed 6 times a year. If my rating would falls below satisfactory I would be put on a preference inhansment plan (PIP). If I then were to fall to meet the goals in the in the PIP in the time designated line, I would be let go. Schools with tenyour on avrege dismiss teacher how are struggling more often.

Here is a fun fact in NYC, on avrege the unionized public out preform the charter school.

Also,Most of the teachers I know under 40 in NYC have to get summer jobs just to get by.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:04:39 am by Locke141 »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 09:55:24 am »
The only way I see teachers "make it" around here is they're married to someone who's subsidizing the income.  I don't think it's really possible to support a family with the salary, which is a pretty sad state of affairs.  Bringing the income up to a livable wage ought to attract better talent and not waste too much on the duds.  $50k plus a 3% increase every other year?  Would make the option tenable for a lot more people.

My wife teaches at the college level and spends a hell of a lot of nights grading until 2-3am for indifferent students.  Then they want letters of recommendation for medical school.  It's simultaneously hilarious and sad.  You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me teach.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2018, 10:03:47 am »

My wife teaches at the college level and spends a hell of a lot of nights grading until 2-3am for indifferent students.  Then they want letters of recommendation for medical school.  It's simultaneously hilarious and sad.  You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me teach.

My wife teaches and I have the same feelings.  She makes an okay wage until you start looking at it hourly. There are many nights were she is up after I go to bed working on lesson plans or filling out mandated paperwork or IEP's.   We stressed very strongly to our kids to not go into teaching. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2018, 01:15:48 pm »
Well teachers make a decent income here compared to the average salary, but that's only because most people in our state are dirt poor.  Nobody wants to spend money on education or anything that might improve the situation in the long run, mainly because a decent portion of the adults are poorly educated and don't know any better.  Particularly in the southern portion of the state where all the men want to drop out of school and work in the mines while all the women stay at home and make babies that they can't afford.  The mines pay a good comparative salary and that's all they can see.  They can't see that most people that work in the mines are dead or severely impaired by the time they reach retirement age.  The can't see that the industry is going away and no amount of fudging epa regulations or lifting of cap and trade taxes are going to change that.  That doesn't even get into the environmental damage being done.   

The cause of all of this.... lack of education.  I'm fairly stupid and even I have been educated to the point of where I can see the cause clearly.  So yeah despite any issues I may have with the modern education system I'm all for funding in regards to teachers salary and better facilities.  The only way to save the world is to make it's population smart enough to realize how easy it would be to save if we just all got on the same page.  Complain about how the teachers aren't good enough or the students aren't grateful or whatever, but the only alternative is to NOT invest in education and that would make absolutely no sense as the goal is to make future generations better than our own and I'm pretty sure doing less instead of more isn't going to do that.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2018, 03:23:24 pm »
The only way I see teachers "make it" around here is they're married to someone who's subsidizing the income.  I don't think it's really possible to support a family with the salary, which is a pretty sad state of affairs.  Bringing the income up to a livable wage ought to attract better talent and not waste too much on the duds.  $50k plus a 3% increase every other year?  Would make the option tenable for a lot more people.

depends on the school system really.
in the richer suburbs the teachers make bank.
My sister makes almost twice the median income for our area as a special ed teacher.

but I have teacher friends in other districts that don't make nearly as much.

However getting into the school she is in is hard because once someone gets in, they don't leave until they are old as dirt and retire.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2018, 05:38:56 pm »

depends on the school system really.
in the richer suburbs the teachers make bank.
My sister makes almost twice the median income for our area as a special ed teacher.

but I have teacher friends in other districts that don't make nearly as much.

However getting into the school she is in is hard because once someone gets in, they don't leave until they are old as dirt and retire.

That’s spot on. In Long Island teacher can make much more then the city.

It seems that the people here who think teachers are lazy and their jobs are EZ, all live in areas with low performing schools that don’t pay very well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:59:23 am by Locke141 »