Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help Please - Ultimarc UltraStick 360 - MAME Won't Load INI ?!?  (Read 3288 times)

Dai Shan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2019, 05:53:11 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
So a few years back I got a U360 stick and set it up in MAME just fine. Well, that machine blew up and I had to redo everything on a new machine with a newer version of MAME. MAME 192.

I have all of my old INI files back in the MAME/ini directory, with all the games I play having their own, with joystick_map settings inside. That way nothing has to load into the U360. It can stay pure analog and the restrictions come from the INI.

Problem is, when I play a game now, NOTHING HAPPENS!! It's driving me nuts.

• Windows sees the stick in Game Controllers menu
  • The stick works in the MAME UI to highlight games
  • Joystick is set to ON in Advanced Options in MAME

Oddly, I can't select games in my frontend (mGalaxy), but I can in the regular MAME UI. But that shouldn't matter, right? Since once the game loads, it should all be up to the game's individual INI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Dai Shan

• Offline Offline
Re: Help Please - Ultimarc UltraStick 360 - MAME Won't Load INI ?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:44:45 pm »
Just realized. In the MAME.INI, Joystick Map has "Auto" for a value, which adds more fuel to this problem. Shouldn't "auto" run the joystick_map in the game ini files??  :banghead:

Dai Shan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:22:27 pm »
Latest update....

I have everything with "Joy_1" deleted except for AD Stick in MAME.

I notice that in games like Tempest, Crystal Castles, and Food Fight, I see in-game analog settings, for the spinner, trackball, and an analog stick respectively.

I can set the spinner and trackball in those games with no issue. In Food Fight, the U360 works. I can't figure out the speed/sensitivity settings worth a damn to get it playable, but the joystick works.

So my issue now boils down to, how do I get MAME to allow non-analog games, like Donkey Kong, Galaga or Q*bert, to "see" the analog stick and load the specific joystick_map settings I have in their (ROM).ini files?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »
I use U360 too, but sorry, I don't use the MAME configs for it.  If you are down to try a new approach, try using the U360 map utility and pair it with LEDBlinky to swap the profiles.  I compared with the MAME conversion on some 4-way games and found the U360 map to work much better than the MAME conversion.

Dai Shan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:59:03 pm »
I use U360 too, but sorry, I don't use the MAME configs for it.  If you are down to try a new approach, try using the U360 map utility and pair it with LEDBlinky to swap the profiles.  I compared with the MAME conversion on some 4-way games and found the U360 map to work much better than the MAME conversion.

I just downloaded the UltraMap software and it doesn't seem to install in Windows 10. I get "could not start the setup" and it crashes.

I don't think this is a case of how the U360 gets it's restrictions. Whether it's a 4-way map uploaded to it before a game loads, or it is 4-way restricted from a MAME INI file, I would still have the same problem of the U360 not even being seen by non-analog games.

Could you possibly tell me how you have your inputs setup for Player 1 in MAME? I assume your U360 is "Joy_1"? Do you only use it for the "AD Stick" sections?

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:11:28 pm »
I had nothing but problems with my U-360s (and USB hubs) when I updated from Win 7 to 10. I actually reverted back to 7 and things appear to be back to normal. You may consider doing the same to see if that resolves the mapping issue.

Dai Shan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 03:07:21 am »
I had nothing but problems with my U-360s (and USB hubs) when I updated from Win 7 to 10. I actually reverted back to 7 and things appear to be back to normal. You may consider doing the same to see if that resolves the mapping issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not a Windows 10 issue. The game controllers section sees it just fine, MAME .192 sees it just fine, as analog games work with the U360, as analog games utilize the "AD Stick" Player 1 inputs, and I have Joy_1 setup for AD Stick.

What won't work is non-analog games, even though joystick is enabled and I have specific (ROM).ini files filled with joystick_map settings.

It's definitely a MAME issue. I'm hoping someone with a U360 without my problems, but with a later version of MAME can share their settings. That would go a long way into figuring out what's wrong.

My Windows 10 issue is just with Andy's software, but I'm trying to avoid loading maps over and over into the U360 anyway.

Oh, and if you have problems with a USB hub, definitely get something that outputs more watts overall. I have my U360, spinner, and trackball going into a new hub that I had to get in order for them to be seen and function together. My old 2.0 hub just didn't provide the juice.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:10:13 am by Dai Shan »

Dai Shan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:08:44 pm »
Figured it out with help from someone on YouTube. It was so simple I could kick myself....

I just had to add the U360 to Up/Down/Left/Right with the keyboard in MAME and the stick used the individual (ROM).ini files like a champ. *sigh*  :angry: :censored: ::)

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
lol, been there.  I hate that.  Glad you got it sorted.  I'm pretty happy with the U360s. 

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:36:53 am »
Figured it out with help from someone on YouTube. It was so simple I could kick myself....

I just had to add the U360 to Up/Down/Left/Right with the keyboard in MAME and the stick used the individual (ROM).ini files like a champ. *sigh*  :angry: :censored: ::)
Still the mapping of the stick (UltraMap) works way better than the mapping of MAME: MAME needs to correct the incorrect info from the sticks as UltraMap actualy configures the stick itself (the magnet used to detect movement) to provide the correct output. Especially for odd configurations like QBert this is much better. If you use a frontend without LedBlinky (or other emulators besides MAME) you can use my tool HyperMap (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134128.0.html) to configure the stick per game / emulator.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 11:49:47 pm »
I agree, I found Ultramap to work better.

Dai Shan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 11:37:57 pm »

Still the mapping of the stick (UltraMap) works way better than the mapping of MAME: MAME needs to correct the incorrect info from the sticks as UltraMap actualy configures the stick itself (the magnet used to detect movement) to provide the correct output. Especially for odd configurations like QBert this is much better. If you use a frontend without LedBlinky (or other emulators besides MAME) you can use my tool HyperMap (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134128.0.html) to configure the stick per game / emulator.

Interesting. I use mGalaxy as my frontend and I believe the developer still does not support pushing maps to the U360 yet, but I've honestly seen no issue when playing any games, even Q*bert. It's responsive and I feel no slugishness or disconnects with what I want to do, and what happens on the screen.