Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cuphead! scratch build  (Read 31976 times)

saejansen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2022, 06:25:47 am
Cuphead! scratch build
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:15:04 am »
The release Cuphead and Dragonball FighterZ made me regret the day i decided to sell my arcade.
However it also inspired me to build a new and better one. So, here we go! 

saejansen

• Offline Offline
Re: Cuphead! scratch build
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:29:05 am »
The theme I landed on is Cuphead. Since it is one of my favourite games at the moment and in my opinion a great game for an arcade!
I started with the artwork which i like to be very minimal again.

Controlpanel:

Marque:

Sideart:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:14:02 am by saejansen »

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 11:34:24 am »
Since last time I sucked at sawing and routing I decided to 3d model my sidepanels and cpo  in sketchup and send them of to a cnc routing company.
Very pleased with the result:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:53:56 am by saejansen »

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:42:47 am »
I was very impatient and allready applied the artwork to the controlpanel. Still have to route the sleeve fot the T-molding so now i have to be very carefull.

Other side:

Look at that fit!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:53:30 am by saejansen »

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:48:29 am »
Last one for today. I made a little splashscreen for hyperspin. Edited the begin and the end of an original trailer for Cuphead.

Watch here:

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 11:57:40 am »
Also made a sticker with a little challenge for friends and family who come over to play.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:01:18 pm by saejansen »

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:39 pm »
Since last time I sucked at sawing and routing I decided to 3d model my sidepanels and cpo  in sketchup and send them of to a cnc routing company.

Looks great!  Is that MDF?  If you don't mind, what does it cost to have something like that done?
Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »

Looks great!  Is that MDF?  If you don't mind, what does it cost to have something like that done?
Mike

Yes it's MDF with two layers laminated so paint and stickers wil adhere better. The cost ofcourse depends on were you are based but here in the Netherlands I found a guy who did it for 125 euros.

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 08:06:57 pm »
Great price. It's a lot of fun cutting everything yourself - as long as nothing goes wrong, that is, and with the little time I have nowadays I'd chose somebody else doing it for me over doing it myself each time. Fantastic precision on the cutouts!

I like the pics you chose as artwork, but with a colourful game like Cuphead have you considered a yellow or blue background? Making it completely black seems a bit anticlimactic to me...

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 02:21:10 am »
Great price. It's a lot of fun cutting everything yourself - as long as nothing goes wrong, that is, and with the little time I have nowadays I'd chose somebody else doing it for me over doing it myself each time. Fantastic precision on the cutouts!

I like the pics you chose as artwork, but with a colourful game like Cuphead have you considered a yellow or blue background? Making it completely black seems a bit anticlimactic to me...

Time also played a big role in deciding to let someone else do the saw work. I'm just so busy that it would take forever for me to finish it.
I have not considered a different colour because I really liked the understated look of my previous build. I'm hoping to achieve it with this build again.

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 02:32:12 am »
Got the software finniking out of the way early and made a custom theme for hyperspin. Again very minimal. My pc was acting up so i had to record this GIF with my phone, sorry for the quality:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 01:26:47 am by saejansen »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:15 pm »
Got the software finniking out of the way early and made a custom theme for hyperspin. Again very minimal. My pc was acting up so i had to record this GIF with my phone, sorry for the quality:

That’s a high quality theme, nice work. I like the control panel, simple and clean and with the all black background gives it almost a 3D appearance.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 02:36:25 am »

Mike

Yes it's MDF with two layers laminated so paint and stickers wil adhere better. The cost ofcourse depends on were you are based but here in the Netherlands I found a guy who did it for 125 euros.
That's cheap. Could you provide me their details?

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 06:21:26 am »

Mike

No problem, the company is called Madera. Here is a link. And for straight pieces I found this great side that cuts to size dirt cheap! Link.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:24:31 am by saejansen »

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 06:26:33 am »

That’s a high quality theme, nice work. I like the control panel, simple and clean and with the all black background gives it almost a 3D appearance.

Thank you  ;D

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 10:03:43 am »
Took apart some computer speakers i had lying around. These will work just fine for the audio. ordered a new button for the volume control from aliexpress. Let's hope it doesn't tak 6+ weeks before it arrives like my last order.

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 10:05:49 am »
Some more parts are starting to arrive.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:18:41 am by saejansen »

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 10:08:08 am »
Also ordered some buttons from aliexpress but in my opinion they look very cheap, so i won't be using them.

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 10:13:34 am »
I have a question for anybody that had experience with powering led buttons of a laptop. Last time I used a ledcontroller but 40 euros just to power some led's is quite expensive. Does anybody have any idea how to power led buttons that is not that expensive? I'll need to light 16 led's.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:25:27 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 10:16:29 am »
Forget LED buttons. It is an arcade machine not a Christmas tree. It is silly to put an emphasis on minimal artwork and then light it all up.

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:23 am »
Forget LED buttons. It is an arcade machine not a Christmas tree. It is silly to put an emphasis on minimal artwork and then light it all up.

Well, they are all going to be the same colour (red), and with the design being very minimal the cab can use some 'Christmas tree' elements. It looked great on my last build IMO:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:25:16 am by saejansen »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 10:29:18 am »
Regular buttons would look better. That cabinet is really clean looking. Replace those buttons.

bogaboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2018, 12:33:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 10:32:04 am »
Of course a Cuphead build gets posted!

I've been working on mine for about a month now and it's finally getting close enough to start posting pics. Bummed that mine is even less original now, but I suppose great minds think alike!

Yours is looking awesome so far though! I'll be sure to let you know when I have final pics of mine posted.

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 10:35:03 am »
Regular buttons would look better. That cabinet is really clean looking. Replace those buttons.

I sold it. Regret it. So that's why i'm building this one. I'll consider putting in normal buttons but I would still have to power the led's of the coin door, so if anybody knows a nice solution, let me know  ;D

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:12 am »
Of course a Cuphead build gets posted!

I've been working on mine for about a month now and it's finally getting close enough to start posting pics. Bummed that mine is even less original now, but I suppose great minds think alike!

Yours is looking awesome so far though! I'll be sure to let you know when I have final pics of mine posted.

Nice! How far along building are you? I basically just started so I think you will finish yours before mine. Can't wait to see it. It's nice to see what others come up with within the same theme.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 10:49:29 am »
What voltage are the coin door lights? Are they LEDs? How are you powering everything else? That would help.

bogaboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:23 am »
I ordered my wood from Haruman's Customs and at this point that's literally all that's left. Once it arrives it should take a couple days to paint and apply graphics and then I'll be done. I found some paint that almost exactly matches the Cuphead yellow. But I'm still split on if I should paint the whole thing yellow or keep it black with accents.

It's a bartop and looking at what you have so far I think it will actually be a pretty different build. Although we did end up both using the same joystick and iPAC.

By far the lamest thing about my build is that Cuphead isn't actually even going to be playable on the machine...

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 10:51:51 am »
That artwork is fantastic.  This is looking like a nice clean build.   :cheers:

I would still have to power the led's of the coin door, so if anybody knows a nice solution, let me know  ;D

You can pull 5V off the USB port to power the LED's. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-nearly-anything-off-a-USB-port/

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 10:56:01 am »
That artwork is fantastic.  This is looking like a nice clean build.   :cheers:

I would still have to power the led's of the coin door, so if anybody knows a nice solution, let me know  ;D

You can pull 5V off the USB port to power the LED's. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-nearly-anything-off-a-USB-port/

Thank you! This is what I was searching for  :cheers:

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 11:00:29 am »

By far the lamest thing about my build is that Cuphead isn't actually even going to be playable on the machine...

Wait, what? Why?

bogaboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »
Well, the project didn't start as a Cuphead machine. I really just wanted a classic arcade machine to play stuff like Pac-Man and Galaga. It was actually going to be Galaga themed. So I bought and set up a Raspberry Pi to run Mame. Obviously I can't play Cuphead on a Raspberry Pi. That said, I could always buy a mini PC to replace it and upgrade the whole thing if I felt like it. But RetroPie is just so easy and great.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 02:09:02 pm »

Mike

No problem, the company is called Madera. Here is a link. And for straight pieces I found this great side that cuts to size dirt cheap! Link.
Bedankt!

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 07:53:15 pm »
That theme lends itself to some great artwork options.  Looks cool so far. 

Be careful not to suck too many amps (or I should say mA) out of your USB socket.  It looks like you have the potential for a lot of LEDs and the brighter ones can draw a lot of amps.  You might consider using an old PSU if you have the space. 

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:17 pm »
Be careful not to suck too many amps (or I should say mA) out of your USB socket.  It looks like you have the potential for a lot of LEDs and the brighter ones can draw a lot of amps.  You might consider using an old PSU if you have the space.

Agreed - you'll get there quickly.  Will you have a power strip in the cabinet?  A 5v (or 12v?) 'wall wart' transformer is another option, and you can whatever amperage you need.

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 10:21:00 pm »
If you're trying to reduce current draw, you can run 12v LED buttons with a 5v power supply.

Instead of each LED drawing about 20mA @ 12v, they draw 5.83mA @ 5v.

If you do just the 6 admin buttons, that's about 35mA.

If you go full-on "Christmas tree" with 6 admin and 12 player buttons, it's about 105mA.

Scott

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 10:45:32 am »
Guess I need a seperate power supply after all. I'm now in doubt wether I should illuminate the 6 buttons of each player and the coin door or not  :dunno

saejansen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 10:51:14 am »
To keep a clean look, should i go with two of these:

Or go with this one:

In my opinion the door is kinda ugly. Does anybody know were to get a prettier door?
I like this one but it only has a button no coin slot:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:04:26 am by saejansen »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 08:19:27 pm »
That’s a standard coin door. It’s far from ugly.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 10:54:06 pm »
If it's going to look like an arcade cabinet, then I say make it look like a real one and put a real coin door on that puppy. 

Whatever the LED you use, it should have specs on its max current.  You can get a handy app for your phone to calculate the resistor to use with your voltage which will give you the amps.  Of course, a lot of the LED buttons have built in resistors.  In that case, just test it with a multimeter to see what one will draw.  In no event would I power them with a laptop USB.  They're not really made to do that and will likely create extra heat in your casing and possibly burn out the port.  ATX PSUs are cheap or free, or get a wall wort at the thrift store for a buck.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 09:51:48 am »
To keep a clean look, should i go with two of these:

Or go with this one:

In my opinion the door is kinda ugly. Does anybody know were to get a prettier door?
I like this one but it only has a button no coin slot:

I got this one: https://www.arcadeshop.de/Coin-Mech-Coin-Door-344x285-2-Entry_849.html