Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any high speed game similar to 'Need for Speed Nitro (Wii)'?  (Read 5376 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Any high speed game similar to 'Need for Speed Nitro (Wii)'?
« on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:35 am »
It was just by chance that I found out about Need for Speed Nitro, which was just released in the Wii. It turns out that the game seems pretty good if one likes arcade style games with cars going at high speed. Do you guys know any other similar games for any platform in case there's something else interesting in the market that I don't know about?

If you don't know Need for Speed Nitro and you like arcade style racing games, it's worth checking it out. But it's a lot better with a standard controller rather than with the wiimote (although it's playable with that one as well, or with the nunchuck failing that)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Any high speed game similar to 'Need for Speed Nitro (Wii)'?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:48:07 am »
Cruisn on the Wii is in the same vein.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:21:51 pm »
There's a new remastered Burnout that's just come out for the latest consoles.  Unfortunately it doesn't have DJ Stryker or the pop punk soundtrack from Burnout 3 so I'm out.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:22:24 pm »

When I saw this one, I rememberd Crusin from long time ago, although I couldn't remember why I didn't like that one so much. I just had another look and it was because in that one you can just control the car with the wiimote, which is quite a mess in that game. Not providing support for a simple gamepad was quite poor in my opinion. Not sure if after playing for a few hours one could get used to the wiimote alone but it didn't look like it to me.

There's a new remastered Burnout that's just come out for the latest consoles.  Unfortunately it doesn't have DJ Stryker or the pop punk soundtrack from Burnout 3 so I'm out.

Do you know if that was the Burnout Paradise game? 'cos it got really good reviews but when I saw it it seemed one of those open world games where one spends too much time driving around without doing anything, just trying to find a race. I never felt engaged with the open world games because of that...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 02:40:28 pm »
I'm pretty sure I played Cruisn with the classic controller but its been ages since I played or even seen a Wii.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 02:52:50 pm »
I'm pretty sure I played Cruisn with the classic controller but its been ages since I played or even seen a Wii.

I had a look later on to confirm and on the Wii, it doesn't recognize a controller plugged in (at least not the wireless one I've got), but some reviewers seemed to have the same problem:

https://retrogameexplorer.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/cruisn-wii-the-fast-and-the-furious-arcade-port/
* "Reviewers were not too impressed with the low res graphics, lack of new modes/tracks, and the lack of classic controller support. It quickly ended up in the bargain bin. In the end it sold just over 100k units globally."

I had not touched the Wii in ages as well, but found that Nitro game yesterday and it's pretty good with a controller.

Maybe Cruisn is better in an emulator where one can map things, but my PC is not powerful to run it properly and give it a go either...

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 04:50:31 pm »

When I saw this one, I rememberd Crusin from long time ago, although I couldn't remember why I didn't like that one so much. I just had another look and it was because in that one you can just control the car with the wiimote, which is quite a mess in that game. Not providing support for a simple gamepad was quite poor in my opinion. Not sure if after playing for a few hours one could get used to the wiimote alone but it didn't look like it to me.

Do you know if that was the Burnout Paradise game? 'cos it got really good reviews but when I saw it it seemed one of those open world games where one spends too much time driving around without doing anything, just trying to find a race. I never felt engaged with the open world games because of that...

I'm a Burnout fan big time. And when Paradise came out I refused to even try it because it was open world. It wasn't until years later that I gave it a shot because it was like 5 bucks on the steam sale. I can tell you its a great game. Not as good as 3 or Revenge, but its a great game. There is always stuff to do in paradise city, its not just races either, there are all sorts of events. Or you can just cruise around for jumps and hidden areas and there are a lot of them. I have the old version not the remastered, and I'm not sure I will get the remastered version until its on sale, but still if any body is ever on the fence I recommend the game. Its not what you might think.

By the way for the OP,

Try Blur and Split Second. Two great games.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 06:32:53 am »

Yeah, I got those a while ago but I had not had the chance to try them just yet. I briefly tried them this weekend and both look really good... but, this like loads of others I have for the PS3 do not have wheel support at all!!!. Even if they are arcade and one needs to use buttons often, it would just be nice that racing games have wheel support by default.

The way they are at the moment, I might not play them that much (if at all) as I want to use the wheel usually...

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 09:00:05 am »
This is why I built my wheel the way I did, from an xbox 360 controller.

I would think you might be able to use something like x360ce to make the game see your wheel like a 360 controller just no ffb obviously.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 09:42:44 am »

I'm a Burnout fan big time. And when Paradise came out I refused to even try it because it was open world. It wasn't until years later that I gave it a shot because it was like 5 bucks on the steam sale. I can tell you its a great game. Not as good as 3 or Revenge, but its a great game. There is always stuff to do in paradise city, its not just races either, there are all sorts of events. Or you can just cruise around for jumps and hidden areas and there are a lot of them. I have the old version not the remastered, and I'm not sure I will get the remastered version until its on sale, but still if any body is ever on the fence I recommend the game. Its not what you might think.

By the way for the OP,

I got to trial Paradise for a bit on the PS3, after the PSN network got hacked and they gave away a month of free PS Plus membership as compensation. The open world aspect put me off as well, I couldn't enjoy the races when I was having to constantly peer at the mini map to see which route I was supposed to be taking. I was never able to get beyond that to a point I started to enjoy the game and when my month of free PS plus membership ended I didn't bother keeping the game. A shame as I loved Revenge and Burnout 2 & 3.

Totally with you on Blur though, criminally overlooked game. I need to give Split Second a try.

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 11:43:56 am »
Al Split Second is one of the most fun arcade racers ever! Play it frequently on the PC and have it of the PS3 too. Hope you find the time to try it out and enjoy it mate :)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 01:11:02 pm »
Cheers Gary, I'll look into it.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 02:01:08 pm »
Al Split Second is one of the most fun arcade racers ever! Play it frequently on the PC and have it of the PS3 too. Hope you find the time to try it out and enjoy it mate :)

Agreed.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 02:03:19 pm »

By the way for the OP,

I got to trial Paradise for a bit on the PS3, after the PSN network got hacked and they gave away a month of free PS Plus membership as compensation. The open world aspect put me off as well, I couldn't enjoy the races when I was having to constantly peer at the mini map to see which route I was supposed to be taking. I was never able to get beyond that to a point I started to enjoy the game and when my month of free PS plus membership ended I didn't bother keeping the game. A shame as I loved Revenge and Burnout 2 & 3.

Totally with you on Blur though, criminally overlooked game. I need to give Split Second a try.

I felt the same way, and then I really gave the game a chance and all the burnout stuff is still there and more. If anyone ever ever sees the old version on the steam sale it usually goes for like 5 bucks I recommend giving it another shot some day.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 02:23:52 pm »
I would think you might be able to use something like x360ce to make the game see your wheel like a 360 controller just no ffb obviously.

Hey, question a little bit related.

When your wheel can be used in some games which were not programmed for it, does it have any kind of resistance at all? ie, not having FFB is fine but for example, I tried Ridge Racer 7 in PS3 and it recognized the wheel and pedals, however the options do not show the wheel and there's not resistance whatsoever! Tricky to control it this way... plus one doesn't feel anything as the steering is so soft!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »

Hey, question a little bit related.

When your wheel can be used in some games which were not programmed for it, does it have any kind of resistance at all? ie, not having FFB is fine but for example, I tried Ridge Racer 7 in PS3 and it recognized the wheel and pedals, however the options do not show the wheel and there's not resistance whatsoever! Tricky to control it this way... plus one doesn't feel anything as the steering is so soft!

One of the other guys might be able to answer better, but I thought most FFB wheels have a spring centering feature. So the wheel will spring back to center. But I'm not sure if you can use that in non FFB games. My wheel is custom built so because it have no FFB I built a simple resistance system using thick elastic exercise bands so that the wheel has some resistance and will return to center.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 06:55:47 pm »
One of the other guys might be able to answer better, but I thought most FFB wheels have a spring centering feature. So the wheel will spring back to center. But I'm not sure if you can use that in non FFB games. My wheel is custom built so because it have no FFB I built a simple resistance system using thick elastic exercise bands so that the wheel has some resistance and will return to center.

I see. I read about some non-FFB wheels which had always some kind of resistance (similar to what you described), but I've never tried one of those. The 3 wheels I had were with FFB and if a game didn't support it, it was quite un-playable (well, not quite, just un-playable as it was almost impossible to handle it).

I'll have to try one of those non-FFB wheels at some point...

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »
Yeah non FFB almost always have a spring or bungee cord centering system...

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 09:27:14 am »

I see. I read about some non-FFB wheels which had always some kind of resistance (similar to what you described), but I've never tried one of those. The 3 wheels I had were with FFB and if a game didn't support it, it was quite un-playable (well, not quite, just un-playable as it was almost impossible to handle it).

I'll have to try one of those non-FFB wheels at some point...

If you want a budget wheel with no FFB and a 'bungie' cord self centring system you can't go far wrong with one of these: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/ferrari-gt-experience-racing-wheel

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 01:41:13 pm »
Yeah non FFB almost always have a spring or bungee cord centering system...
If you want a budget wheel with no FFB and a 'bungie' cord self centring system you can't go far wrong with one of these: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/ferrari-gt-experience-racing-wheel

I tried a few more games the last couple of days and none of them supported FFB, most of them not even supporting a wheel!

I was going to ask exactly that, but I'll ask in a new post to title it correctly. I'd like to know a good model (compatible if possible with Xbox 360 as well).