Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: All Joysticks suck and I want back my Happ Perfect 360's  (Read 5670 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
All Joysticks suck and I want back my Happ Perfect 360's
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:15:58 pm »
I decided to update my mame cab after years, the main issue is I can’t for the life of me find a joystick that i like, it has been the biggest problem I have had in this hobby. The only sticks I have liked was the Happ perfect 360. It had a giant heavy duty spring that gave you some resistance, a short throw distance and analog accuracy.

I don't know if a blew them out at some point when I was moving them between cabs because they take 5v but when I tried them on a new cab they were both dead a few years ago and my long descent into finding replacement joysticks.

Why don't they make the perfect 360 anymore does anyone know if there is one just like it that I am missing?

There is like no information on these joysticks either if you google search it the same few post and pointless videos will come up that have been there for the last 9 years.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: All Joysticks suck and I want back my Happ Perfect 360's
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:26:54 am »
Tried the ultimarc mag sticks?
They have a short throw and offer good resistance imo.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:31:05 am »
They have a short throw and offer good resistance imo.

I agree with the u360's so long as you use a restrictor plate and the beefier spring.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:59:31 am »
The only sticks I have liked was the Happ perfect 360. It had a giant heavy duty spring that gave you some resistance, a short throw distance and analog accuracy.

The Happ Perfect 360 is not an analog stick though. Its a fixed 8-way stick. It just uses inductive switching instead of microswitches.

Our Ultrastik 360 with round or 8-way restrictor and hard spring, with an 8-way map applied to it, should be very close as a contactless stick.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 10:36:15 am »

No I was looking into that one as well. How big is the spring, do you actually get some resistance?

The Happ Perfect 360 is not an analog stick though. Its a fixed 8-way stick. It just uses inductive switching instead of microswitches.

Ya it just felt accurate; maybe because the short throw distance? Just saying you did not need a gimmick of changing it to a 4 way, you could play just fine with it as is. Never did I need to miss a Hadouken in street fighter.

I agree with the u360's so long as you use a restrictor plate and the beefier spring.

Our Ultrastik 360 with round or 8-way restrictor and hard spring, with an 8-way map applied to it, should be very close as a contactless stick.

This is why I am writing this post the Ultrastik 360 are literally the worst sticks I have tried so far. I upgraded to the heavy spring and there is no resistance, the stick feels like a wet noodle. The thow distance is way to long; twice as long as it needs to be making it into an operation game in not hitting a corner. Not only does the stick feel bad it is actually unusable.

Does the restrictor plate physicalt stop the joystick from going past the halfway point? Certainly that would help; I still don’t care for the spring in that thing though.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:39 am »

Does the restrictor plate physicalt stop the joystick from going past the halfway point? Certainly that would help; I still don’t care for the spring in that thing though.

Yes the restrictors all would do that, with the octagonal being the tightest.
If you have changed to the hard spring and not hard enough we can easily get harder ones in a couple of days.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 01:16:33 pm »
I also am sad that you can't get 360s anymore. I was lucky enough to buy two of them. Seems strange that you would have blown them both out. Are you sure you are wiring them correctly?

Also, there might be a glimmer of hope. You can try emailing distributors and seeing if anyone has any of Happ part number 95-2471-00 in stock. That is the replacement hubs for the P360s. People used to buy them separately to convert microswitch Wico sticks, so some places carried the part.

Also, the P360 is properly a member of the Wico family of sticks, so trying some of those out might be your next move.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 02:29:21 pm »

No I was looking into that one as well. How big is the spring, do you actually get some resistance?

Ya it just felt accurate; maybe because the short throw distance? Just saying you did not need a gimmick of changing it to a 4 way, you could play just fine with it as is. Never did I need to miss a Hadouken in street fighter.

This is why I am writing this post the Ultrastik 360 are literally the worst sticks I have tried so far. I upgraded to the heavy spring and there is no resistance, the stick feels like a wet noodle. The thow distance is way to long; twice as long as it needs to be making it into an operation game in not hitting a corner. Not only does the stick feel bad it is actually unusable.

The mag sticks are centred by a magnet rather than springs.
But I really like mine, They are really snappy.

To give you an idea I love streets of rage, And Axels grand upper (towards towards B) was a real ---smurfette--- of a move to perform on most sticks due to the bounce.
But with the magsticks I can pull it off every time with no special effort.
They come back pretty sharpish.

Some people hate the stiffness and the short throw but I love them especially for fighters with snappy controls.

Just wish you could get a octagonal gate for them!

(Hint hint Andy ;) )

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 03:01:32 pm »

3D print one. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 03:28:20 pm »

3D print one.

I would but I dont think I could make it work.
Maybe one day ile look at it lol

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:38:57 pm »

3D print one.

I had heard they weren't great for 8-way stuff. Whats your feeling on that?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 04:42:35 pm »

3D print one.

I had heard they weren't great for 8-way stuff. Whats your feeling on that?

My feeling is they are fine in 8 way, Would be better with a octaganol gate though IMO.

I can play street fighter with them and pac man so cant complain.

I think most people hate on them due to the magnet being harder than the springs of a standard stick and the short throw.

Like anything else I guess just personal preference.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 06:45:53 am »
I like the basic Sanwa and Seimitsu. For Classic 8-way or 4-way....Wico. P360s are nice....for a while...the tight-ness and swift return eventually not worth the effort necessary to move the stick. And they do better modified. Advice: relax, move less.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:03:16 am by Mr. Peabody »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
Wico.

I pulled out my knock-offs and found out one was real. Both were the best four-way experience I've had, with the Wico slightly better.