Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Hyperkong (A VS to DK to Mame conversion)  (Read 5770 times)

monkeydlenny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2018, 10:30:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Project Hyperkong (A VS to DK to Mame conversion)
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:08:46 am »
Once upon a time, my father and I bought a multicade for his den. It was a 60 in 1 board built into a Pac-Mania cabinet and still sits in his den to this day. When we were buying it, the guy selling it to us also offered an empty Nintendo Unisystem Cabinet at a significant discount.

We took it, saying that we'd do something with it (the original plan was to turn it into Fix-it Felix machine) and stored it in our garage. Fast forward to now as we're cleaning things out, we decided to inject some life into it.

The plan is to give it an image overhaul and turn it into a DK cabinet, with mame on the inside and Hyperspin as the front end (Hence the project name). First priority is taking everything apart to give the cab a new paint job; and then slowly piecing it back together again.

There's the big orange beast itself. Inspired by artyfarty's slimtendo build, I'm going to go for an LCD screen flipped vertically that can show case the side art (Which means I might have to axe the DK art already on it, possibly sell it)

It still has the original coin box. The coin slots themselves were rusty so I yanked them out, along with the two Nintendo plates in the rear and am currently in the process of wiping the rust away with vinegar

I already got the rust off one of them. Although I was a little impatient with the first one and I used a steel wool brush to help it along. It looks fine but there's a few little scratch marks; gonna let the other one sit for longer.

Replacing the old light bar with LED strips when I get the chance too.

I'm also going to be making a control panel with six buttons on each side, which means getting rid of the old one. That one I'll DEFINITELY be selling, though the buttons are worn out. I'm either going to make it sized to fit just like this one, or maybe bring it outwards to add more options if I'm feeling ambitious.

Overall I'm looking forward to this! I'd love everyone's input and suggestions as I move forward with this! It's my first build of this caliber and I want to do it up right!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Project Hyperkong (A VS to DK to Mame conversion)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 07:11:19 am »
Why not get a CRT and restore that cab? You can still MAME it without turning it into an oversized CP, LCD abomination.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:03:17 am »
Wanna sell the cab? I'd love to restore a Nintendo cab.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:07:45 am »
Even better. Do this.

Wanna sell the cab? I'd love to restore a Nintendo cab.

Sell this cab to Malenko. Build an LCD screen MAME cab from scratch. You can scratch build a cab with the correct proportions for an LCD screen and a larger control panel.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:53 pm »
Welcome to the hobby.  I love your enthusiasm.   :cheers:

Since you asked for feedback my recommendation would be to sell the cabinet and do a scratch build.  Nintendo cabinets are highly sought after at the moment and you could probably make enough money to cover your materials.  There are a lot of hobbiests that would love to restore that cabinet. 

Having said that if you are really intent on re-purposing this cabinet I would recommend you restore it to look as much like a DK (or DK Jr.) as you can.  Don't modify the cabinet and make sure any changes you make are easily reversible.

I'm going to go for an LCD screen flipped vertically that can show case the side art (Which means I might have to axe the DK art already on it, possibly sell it)

I'm also going to be making a control panel with six buttons on each side, which means getting rid of the old one. That one I'll DEFINITELY be selling, though the buttons are worn out. I'm either going to make it sized to fit just like this one, or maybe bring it outwards to add more options if I'm feeling ambitious.

As far as I recall any two-player 6-button games used a horizontally mounted monitor.  You might want to think through the games you want to play and what actual controls you need.  You can certainly play two-player games on that cabinet but your CP might be a little tight with 12+ buttons and 2 joysticks on it.  If you expand the size of the CP it likely will not look right and will certainly defeat the purpose of using a Nintendo cabinet for your build.

monkeydlenny

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:29:15 pm »
Hey guys!

Still working on this project; I'll be back with a more comprehensive post once I make more progress; right now I'm at the baby-steps stage of just removing T-molding and slowly disassembling everything for the inevitable paint job

To those telling me to just sell it off, I did consider that. Ultimately though, there's a sentimental value to this thing: My father has some health issues that involves heart problems, and I don't know how much longer he'll be around. We've always built things like this together, and I want to value that time with him if time IS running out.

I fully intend to go through with restoring it and turning it into a DK cabinet. Not to mention, this thing is in worse shape than it appears in the pictures I posted so I don't know how much it'd even be worth; I didn't realize it but the base of the machine is rotted to absolute hell. I had to rotate the cabinet on it's side for one disassembly, and part of it fell right off!

So right now my new priority is fixing up the base of the cabinet before moving forward.

As far as I recall any two-player 6-button games used a horizontally mounted monitor.  You might want to think through the games you want to play and what actual controls you need.  You can certainly play two-player games on that cabinet but your CP might be a little tight with 12+ buttons and 2 joysticks on it.  If you expand the size of the CP it likely will not look right and will certainly defeat the purpose of using a Nintendo cabinet for your build.

I hear you. As I stared at the machine one night I realized you're right about expanding outwards, it would just look weird...

I was basing my idea of a 12 button DK control panel based on this image here:

That's sort of what I pictured in my head anyway

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 11:35:58 pm »
My dad passed away before I really got started on my first build so I understand where you are coming from.  I wouldn't sell it either.   Good luck with your build.   :cheers:

monkeydlenny

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 11:58:37 pm »
My dad passed away before I really got started on my first build so I understand where you are coming from.  I wouldn't sell it either.   Good luck with your build.   :cheers:

Thank you!  :cheers: With any luck, the health issues will end up being resolved and he'll be with me for a little longer.

On the subject of the project however, I was considering powering it via a Raspberry Pi and Retropie.

But I mostly see those used in bartops and not full-scale cabinets such as this one. Should I go for a full blown comp to power the Hyperkong? Or can I get away with a Raspberry Pi? With a Pi that's significantly less weight and no real cooling to speak of

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 04:18:37 am »
Ahhh, the joys of a good old pi vs PC debate  >:D I would just put a full blown PC in there.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 08:15:04 am »
cramming a 2x6 layout on a Nintendo cab, with an LCD powered by a Pi, asking for feedback when they clearly don't want it, and calling people who don't want him ruining this cab purists .

If that's not BYOAC2018 in a nutshell I don't know what is.

UPDATED @118pm EDT 4/2
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:19:12 pm by Malenko »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:46:42 am »
On the subject of the project however, I was considering powering it via a Raspberry Pi and Retropie.

But I mostly see those used in bartops and not full-scale cabinets such as this one. Should I go for a full blown comp to power the Hyperkong? Or can I get away with a Raspberry Pi? With a Pi that's significantly less weight and no real cooling to speak of

I've not used a Pi yet but would recommend you use a PC.  My scratch-build Nintendo cabinet has a desktop PC in it and I have not had any cooling issues.

monkeydlenny

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 12:06:04 pm »
The more I think about it the more I think I might have a spare laptop laying around I could use. Would that work being hooked up to an external monitor?

On another note, marquee art I mocked up

While I'll most likely go with the classic one above, I also did a second one in the vein of DK, Mario, and Pauline's modern looks

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 12:09:47 pm »
You are slowly murdering this cab one piece at a time. Please stop.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 12:21:53 pm »
The more I think about it the more I think I might have a spare laptop laying around I could use. Would that work being hooked up to an external monitor?

It should work although wiring up the power button might be tricky.  I've used Dell Refurbished and ArrowDirect to pick up cheap desktop PC's in the past.

As far as your artwork goes if it were me I would just use the standard DK marquee and side-art.  You already have what looks like a nice DK bezel.  Keep it simple.

monkeydlenny

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 12:25:13 pm »
It should work although wiring up the power button might be tricky.  I've used Dell Refurbished and ArrowDirect to pick up cheap desktop PC's in the past.

As far as your artwork goes if it were me I would just use the standard DK marquee and side-art.  You already have what looks like a nice DK bezel.  Keep it simple.

I"ll definitely look into that

I fully plan to use standard DK side-art. I might not even use the marquee I mocked up and go with the standard. Really, I just like playing around in Photoshop that was more of a fun 'what-if' project to do.

I know some purists probably want to throw me under an ice cream truck right about now lol

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 12:29:46 pm »
I'd love everyone's input and suggestions as I move forward with this! It's my first build of this caliber and I want to do it up right!
When you said you wanted input, did you only mean input that agrees with your goals?

I know some purists probably want to throw me under an ice cream truck right about now lol

There is a differencebetween a purist, and some one who doesn't want to see you mangle a perfectly restorable cab.
"Don't MAIM for MAME" or something like that.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 02:13:23 pm »
Sorry about your Father, but this is a no for me dog.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

acvieluf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 02:12:39 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:24:57 pm »
I keep thinking that there's a fish aquarium coming somewhere...

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 02:30:15 am »

I"ll definitely look into that

I fully plan to use standard DK side-art. I might not even use the marquee I mocked up and go with the standard. Really, I just like playing around in Photoshop that was more of a fun 'what-if' project to do.

MAME the hell out of it. Will be much more fun to play with it! And who cares about these cabs being original anyway? If there is one orginal in a museum that's more than enough...

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »
I see nothing wrong with converting to a mame machine, just change nothing about the main body, find a monitor to fit the existing bezel, Get the correct Marquee and side art to match bezel. then build a new control panel to fit into existing space, (The 6 button one you showed looked pretty legit to me)  Just don't hack anything up in the process.  Then in 10 years time if you so feel the urge to convert back to an original Nintendo you will still have the opportunity. I don't see a problem with what you are doing as long as you don't hack it all up to make it impossible to restore :) 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »
I see nothing wrong with converting to a mame machine, just change nothing about the main body, find a monitor to fit the existing bezel, Get the correct Marquee and side art to match bezel. then build a new control panel to fit into existing space, (The 6 button one you showed looked pretty legit to me)  Just don't hack anything up in the process.  Then in 10 years time if you so feel the urge to convert back to an original Nintendo you will still have the opportunity. I don't see a problem with what you are doing as long as you don't hack it all up to make it impossible to restore :) 

The problem is he isn't planning on doing any of the things you just listed.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 02:55:41 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 03:00:43 pm »
   It used to matter, but the monitor has become so archaic (no pun intended, **Jenn laughs and laughs), To the point it has become almost unrealistic to restore it.... Kill it off, Drive a stake though its soul, and cover it in cheap paint. Makes my cabs worth just a little bit more. ;D

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:18:18 pm
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 06:26:00 pm »
The bezel art will hinder viewing angles if you're going 2 player with horizontal monitor. Nintendo provided a tinted bezel with no art in the DK to VS conversion kits bitd for that reason. Sooo, you could pass along that early (no copyright) DK bezel to someone that will actually appreciate having it in their legit DK cab.

good day.

monkeydlenny

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 01:50:15 am »
Okay, I feel like I might have miscommunicated my plans for this cab.

My intention is to only make the internals a MAME machine, while restoring the exterior to a DK cabinet, paint, side-art and the works. About the only thing I was considering changing was maybe the marquee into the "Hyperkong" art I posted above, and the six-button layout I posted before. In my opening post I mentioned possibly getting rid of the screen bezel and I realized quick that was a dumb idea and partially defeated the purpose, though Chopperthedog does bring up a valid point that it could hinder a 2 player view.

I do not blame you guys for the pushback on this; you're all passionate about authenticity, and that's why I came here in the first place  :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 06:01:56 am »
That sounds like a much more solid plan. I would push for a CRT, but I know that is not practical for everyone. Good luck with the build. Keep posting pics.

Kudos for your thick skin. Too many people here start crying and disappear as soon as they hear something they don't like. :cheers: