Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How best to play Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 at home?  (Read 15538 times)

Chris2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 09:34:34 am
  • Servin' up Bacon.
How best to play Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 at home?
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
I'm a huge Outrun 2 junkie, it's one of my top favorite arcade games right beside Berzerk. Recently I got Outrun 2006 on PC, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I have just today learned of an Xbox port which I've read actually differs significantly from the Outrun 2006 game that I have, beyond simply being an 'expanded' port of Outrun 2. Given this information, I'm interested in tracking down and trying Outrun 2 on the Xbox, so that I can have the 'original' so to speak in addition to the Outrun 2006 on my PC. However, I am hitting a major wall for both of these games.

Quite simply, every port of Outrun 2 I've played so far has clearly suffered from not having a wheel and pedals. I have spent many an hour playing this game over and over in arcades, and it simply isn't the same to use a controller or (god help me!) the keyboard. I have reached the conclusion that I simply must obtain a wheel, but I don't know anything about wheels or which ones to look for to use on the original Xbox and PC.

So the question is, what is the best wheel for Outrun 2 on Xbox? Going off of the arcade game, I would definitely need a wheel with a gearshift that can go up/down and centers automatically (this might be a standard thing, either way I don't need a 6-shifter), as well as two analog pedals. It should also work on original Xbox and on PC, and any other platforms supported are just gravy. Also, if there's any additional perks to a wheel then I'd love to hear them, but the only real goal is to get as close to the authentic Outrun 2 arcade experience as I can.

Thanks for reading, and hope you can help me out!
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: How best to play Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006 at home?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:29 pm »
Hi Chris. Welcome to the forums and we're glad to see another fellow OutRun fan join the club  :cheers:

I am a huge fan of the game on PC and just played the hell out of it a couple months ago. My first piece of advance is to forget *ALL* about the original Xbox 1 version. Yes the game the first version to come out on consoles and I have fond memories of playing it  but the fact of the matter is, there simply are no steering wheels available anymore for that system, unless you go on ebay and find a used one from Fanatec, or maybe Mad Catz....both of which sucked ass(I owned them).

You are much MUCH better off focusing soley on the PC version of OR2006C2C. It has *everything* the Xbox version has and supports many more controllers and wheels. Not to mention it has better graphics.

There is a huge gigantic thread on the PC version of the game here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130891.0.html

In that thread we discuss mainly the things Howard plans on doing to it later on. I also mentioned some specific things about the PC version regarding steering wheel support that you will need to know before playing it.

As for which ffb wheel to get, I would suggest getting a Logitech DFGT or maybe G25 FFB wheel if you're somewhat on a budget. If you want to step it up a few notches and get a higher quality ffb wheel, there's a few that are available....Fanatec Clubsport Elite, Thrustmaster T500, and then you have the big daddies such as Frex SimWheel, ECCI 7000(the one I'm currently using) and the newly released whopper...Leo Bodnar's Ultimate FFB wheel, which will only set you back $4,000 US :D

One more thing....and I'm sure you already know this, but just in case you don't....the PC version of the game does NOT support force feedback! The only version that supports true ffb is the Japanese PS2 version. There's also the PS3 version of OutRun Online Arcade and the Xbox 360 version of OutRun Online Arcade, which both support ffb wheels, but neither of them contain the tracks from the original version OR the single player Coast to Coast campaign. So just something to keep in mind :)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:19:48 am
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
Just a quick note on this...

. There's also the PS3 version of OutRun Online Arcade and the Xbox 360 version of OutRun Online Arcade, which both support ffb wheels, but neither of them contain the tracks from the original version OR the single player Coast to Coast campaign. So just something to keep in mind

Apparently Sega's contract with Ferrari expired, so both PS3 and XBOX versions of this game are no longer available.  And since they were bot download only - they're impossible to get unless you bought it before 2010 (PS3) or 2011 (XB360)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:16:26 pm »
Also the online community is dead afaik... so it isn't a viable option if you are in it for that. 

The pc versions servers are offline as well, but because it's a pc, you can use tricks like VPN to do online play.

Everybody has already chimed in, but I'll just do the short list:

Xbox versions.... hard to find good hardware (wheels)....no true FF anyway and the graphics aren't all that great.
PS2 versions....  have better FF support and you can find a wheel, but the graphics are just terrible... I mean really bad. 
360 Version....  It's ok if you like OR2SP and that's it.... understand that it's a stripped down version.  The FF support is great though
PC Version... graphics are fantastic no FF, but all around the best version for this day and age barring perhaps the 360 version (if you happened to get it). 

btw... I'm sorry I didn't respond to this... I get the feeling that I've somehow become the unofficial outrun ambassador around here or something.  I've just been super busy with real world stuff.... barely checking the forums from a technical aspect right now. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:23:07 pm by Howard_Casto »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 01:44:01 am »
...and the PC version has a nasty habit of crashing randomly.   Sometimes it runs great for hours, sometimes it won't run for 5 minutes without exiting randomly.  Can be frustrating. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:39 am »
I've never ran into this issue myself.  And trust me, with my hacking mis-adventures I've sure played the thing enough. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:04:17 am »
Could be a Windows 7 / Windows 8 thing.  Or a 64 bit OS thing.  (since it was designed to run on none of those things)

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:21:43 am »
Yeah, I forgot to mention it's gonna be pretty much impossible to get OOA on either PS3 or 360 now since Sega dropped support for it.

...and the PC version has a nasty habit of crashing randomly.   Sometimes it runs great for hours, sometimes it won't run for 5 minutes without exiting randomly.  Can be frustrating.

I used to have this problem and it would randomly crash all the time. But for some strange reason it stopped doing it when I revisited the game a couple months ago and completed it to 100%. Not sure if sorting out my controller issues had anything to do with it. One thing I *CAN* do to make the game crash however, is attempt to play OutRun mode with any of the super fast "OutRun" versions of the cars. Crashes every time and I'm not sure what's causing it.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:02:33 am »
360 Version....  It's ok if you like OR2SP and that's it.... understand that it's a stripped down version.  The FF support is great though

Were you referring to the Arcade Online Version?

I just managed to get an Xbox 360 with that game on and to my surprise, my Fanatec Forza CSR force feedback wheel has a tiny rumble on it rather than any kind of FFB :S. In fact, it rumbles like 1/10 of what the gamepad does....

I went into settings and it's displaying the gamepad image though rather than a wheel, so I wonder if the FFB is just compatible with certain wheels or if one needs to do anything specific to enable it?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:05:01 am by mickael28 »

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:43:52 am
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:00:59 am »
The original Xbox Outrun2 I believe has slightly different handling/slipstream mechanics to SP/2006. It also has bonus tracks from Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 (the only version with these).

The Japanese PS2 version is the only version (apart from the Online Arcade versions) to feature video-based animated elements in the end sequences (e.g volcano eruption, shuttle taking off).

Of course, the newest Patreon-only TeknoParrot plays the arcade original Outrun 2 SP SDX, with some graphics glitches at the moment though.
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:30:48 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:25:42 am »
The Japanese PS2 version is the only version (apart from the Online Arcade versions) to feature video-based animated elements in the end sequences (e.g volcano eruption, shuttle taking off).

I thought that too until fairly recently, but it turns out that they're in Outrun Online Arcade as well! Both the Shuttle take off and the volcano eruption. I'd owned the game for literally years without realising this, don't know how I'd missed it. They're both missing the audio that goes with the animations though, in the Jap PS2 SP version you can hear the shuttle take off and the Volcano.

I went into settings and it's displaying the gamepad image though rather than a wheel, so I wonder if the FFB is just compatible with certain wheels or if one needs to do anything specific to enable it?

On the PS3 version it just worked straight out of the box using my DFGT.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »
Just a clarification to above, Outrun 2, 2SP and 2006 all have different physics.  The difference between 2SP and 2006 is small though.  When running 2006, the 2006 missions and time trials are using the 2006 physics and the 2SP (Arcade) mode uses the 2SP physics.  At least that is what I can gleam from the memory data.