Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC build vs. Raspberry Pi 3 - much difference?  (Read 7254 times)

Psynaptik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2022, 11:54:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PC build vs. Raspberry Pi 3 - much difference?
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:38:50 pm »
I've done my first build (below - SakuraCade), now I'm planning the second.

Got an old computer with a Pentium E2160 chip in it, an AMD Radeon B276 HD 2400XT graphics card and 4GB of ram. Just pulled it from a Dell case and hoping to put it in a bartop that I'll make over the summer.

I find my RPi3 chugs a little on some cave shooters like Espgaluda and Ketsui, but generally it's okay.

Question is - is this PC going to be much better than a Raspberry Pi 3 (which powers my vertical vigolix at the moment)? If so - I'll keep it, but if not I'll probably buy a RPi3+ for the convenience.

Also, do I need to bother will cables going to power switch and LED front panel at all? Can I get away with power supply, board, chip, memory, hard drive and graphics card for the guts?

Cheers!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: PC build vs. Raspberry Pi 3 - much difference?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:49:16 pm »
You got them both? Why not just test it?

Psynaptik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:48:52 pm »
Because there might be pitfalls with running the barebones setup I’m not aware of. E.g.easy things that I’ve missed, which might make me think it’s all broken when it’s not.

Because multiple mame versions and getting the damn roms to match the version takes a LOT of time (same with fba), and if I’m not going to get anything out of it (which someone might be able to tell me) then I’d like to know without wasting my time.

It might be that mame for RPi3 is better optimised because it’s only one platform, and it might be that the pc will only be good for old mame versions but not new ones.

These are all things that someone might be able to say yes or no to, before I spend hours finding out.

EDIT: mistakenly started this thread in wrong forum. Could someone move it to the appropriate one please?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:51:32 pm by Psynaptik »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:13:39 pm »
I've done my first build (below - SakuraCade), now I'm planning the second.

Got an old computer with a Pentium E2160 chip in it, an AMD Radeon B276 HD 2400XT graphics card and 4GB of ram. Just pulled it from a Dell case and hoping to put it in a bartop that I'll make over the summer.

I find my RPi3 chugs a little on some cave shooters like Espgaluda and Ketsui, but generally it's okay.

Question is - is this PC going to be much better than a Raspberry Pi 3 (which powers my vertical vigolix at the moment)? If so - I'll keep it, but if not I'll probably buy a RPi3+ for the convenience.

Also, do I need to bother will cables going to power switch and LED front panel at all? Can I get away with power supply, board, chip, memory, hard drive and graphics card for the guts?

Cheers!

I think it depends on what version of MAME you are planning on using if you went with a computer.  The most recent Versions of MAME may have some issues running certain games on an E2160 due to the low clock speed of that processor.  On the other hand, older versions of MAME will run on a Pentium 4 with very few issues.  Since it sounds like you may be into some of the newer 90s games and CAVE games, I would either go with the pi 3+ or go with a better CPU.  You can find 3ghz i3s and even G series Pentium systems for fairly cheap these days.  My 3ghz G3220 runs every MAME game I throw at it with no problems.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:21:35 pm by smass »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »
In general, a PC setup will be far easier and more powerful than any Pi build.  The Pi is a specific tool, and if you've room in the cabinet and a spare PC, even an old one, go with the PC.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 02:00:53 am »
The main program you'd run on a pi for your front end is retropi or a variant called recalbox (way easier to use and setup) but recalbox is also available on PC. So the main advantage of the pi is its small size and power requirements. Software wise you will get more options with a PC.

Testing a pi only takes about 30 minutes from download to launch so there really is no reason not to test some of the games you want to play on the pi (assuming you use recalbox).

Psynaptik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:27:34 am »
Ah, I have an RPi3 running an arcade already. I'm thinking of the next project and wondering if THIS PC will be much better.

Some of the newer cave games aren't in MAME 0.78, and are therefore not available for the RPi3. I'd also like to have the ability to play later arcade games such as you get in recent MAME (this will be a horizontal/normal bartop).

I'm finding it difficult to work out whether it'd be better to use an RPi3 and see what I can get away with, or whether this machine in particular will be better, or whether I'm best off buying a new cheap PC.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 03:32:02 pm »
Ah, I have an RPi3 running an arcade already. I'm thinking of the next project and wondering if THIS PC will be much better.

Some of the newer cave games aren't in MAME 0.78, and are therefore not available for the RPi3. I'd also like to have the ability to play later arcade games such as you get in recent MAME (this will be a horizontal/normal bartop).

I'm finding it difficult to work out whether it'd be better to use an RPi3 and see what I can get away with, or whether this machine in particular will be better, or whether I'm best off buying a new cheap PC.

I dont think the pc will be any better - but why not just go ahead and put the version of mame you would like to use and a few roms on the pc and try it out? 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:58:14 pm by smass »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:20:26 pm »
A 10 or 12 year old PC will still run rings around the latest pi when it comes to mame. There is less of a gap when it comes to the console emulators, since some of those have actually been optimized for pi. Mame however runs like a 1 legged dog on ARM processors.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Psynaptik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 03:26:17 pm »
A 10 or 12 year old PC will still run rings around the latest pi when it comes to mame. There is less of a gap when it comes to the console emulators, since some of those have actually been optimized for pi. Mame however runs like a 1 legged dog on ARM processors.

That’s helpful - thanks. Gives me hope of reusing some old hardware rather than throwing it away! Looking forward to getting this working then.

Am I right in thinking that I just need a switch for the power? Where would that ground go on the motherboard? Is there a common place?

I’m assuming I won’t need any other other connections to the front panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 08:17:57 pm »
you can use arcade button for power. you only need that thats it.

personally I prefer mini computers now its just easier. if I need little more juice then I like the odroid xu4 there retropie for that and its got a 2ghz cpu I think(or close I forget but runs n64 games full speed)

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 01:07:19 pm »
Yes, any NO momentary switch (such as an arcade button) will work as a PC power button.  Wiring is as simple as can be, and they typically connect to the MB via some type of 2-pin connector.  Sometimes the switch wiring is accompanied by an LED power and/or HD indicator.

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

Psynaptik

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 09:11:58 am »
Cool. I can probably dispense with the led and hdd bit for simplicities sake.

I looked at the Odroid, but for the money I could just buy a motherboard ram cpu bundle and have more power (I have hdd and power supply already).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk