Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First project! Bartop frame almost done, i have some Q's, check out my graphics!  (Read 2822 times)

mekanikal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2018, 12:41:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hey guys I started my bartop build about three weeks ago and have been having a blast. My time is extremely limited right now so the only chance I get to work is when my gf is at her job on Saturday nights(works at a bar). Plus I have a 9 week old Golden Retriever puppy, so progress has been very slow.

Anyways im going on modified Weecade Instructables build plans. I have very little woodworking experience besides making a cutting board in my 8th grade shop class so this has been challenging. Originally I was going to use a Pi, I ordered the Pi 3 B+ but then after testing it, I realized that I think I may want more power. I have my htpc computer that I haven't been using and am considering using that instead. It is an i5 2500k with a GTX 970 and a Mini ITX board. I realize that this is completely overkill, but its what I have at my disposal. I was also considering going with an AMD Ryzen 2200g with the onboard APU but didn't realize I would have to buy DDR 4 ram, I have some extra DDR 3 sticks but I don't want to spend that much on DDR 4 for this build. I haven't tried to fit the mobo and Video Card in the cabinet yet, do you guys see that fitting? where do most people mount them?
I ordered the Sanwa kit from GameRoomSolutions. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, I really wanted Happ sticks and an Ipac-2 but ordering everything separately with the wiring and all would have been about the same price as the entire kit and I have heard that the new Happ sticks aren't great so I just went Sanwa which are obviously quality. For sound I'm going with the Lepy 2020A amp that everyone seems to like and some 4 inch Kenwood speakers that i got from best buy for $20 bucks.

Progress:
I am at the point where I am going to mount my monitor but ran into a road block when i didn't have the mounting screws. The monitor is a 19 inch Samsung Syncmaster 2253LW model: 2253LW. I am mounting it with a 3/4 inch mdf board. If anyone knows where i can get the screws please help as im stuck for the moment.  Here are my progress pics as well as my photoshop side art and a rough draft of the control panel as well. Is the button layout placed correctly on my control panel? I'm not sure if that is the way it was meant to be on there? I haven't started the marquee art yet, I'm saving that for last. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions. Remember I'm a noob and thank you!

Mekanikal

Sideart:

The wave isn't supposed to be dark like that, for some reason when I converted to .jpeg it darkened just that part, not sure why.

Monitor I'm using, and mounting, anyone know the screws I need??

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:56:58 pm by mekanikal »

processedmeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 06:49:22 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
VESA screws are usually metric.  I think the standard for 100mm X 100mm VESA mounts is an M4 screw.  You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot in those sliding pull out cabinets that contain odd hardware. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
I ended up taking my monitor in to Menards to match up the VESA screws. 

Once I drug an Asteroids Deluxe coin door to hardware stores all around town trying to find screws to put it back together when I lost the bag containing the originals.   :angry:

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
I believe these size should be the ones you are looking for,  but as mentioned above its probably worth taking it along and trying them out.
M4 (nom. diameter & thread) x 10mm (length) @ 0.7 pitch  (You would want to get 25mm though to allow for thickness of mfd :)

As for the graphics, Good start, but Batman looks like he is surfing in, (At the least you really need to fix Supe's Mirrored Symbol)  I would probably have put aquaman where Batman is and put batman down where deadpool is. On the other side you could have Deadpool, Ken and wolverine. 

Also what is the overall theme you are going for because you currently have DC, Marvel and Capcom all in there?

wp34

• Offline Offline
I believe Drnick is correct about the screw size.  I found the ones I used for my build.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Interesting character choice on one side, Deadpool (is even in any arcade games?), Batman and Superman (who have both never been in an arcade game worth playing).

Looks nice though.

Do the joystick bases actually clear the buttons? It looks a bit snug.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

wp34

• Offline Offline
Interesting character choice on one side, Deadpool (is even in any arcade games?), Batman and Superman (who have both never been in an arcade game worth playing).

Looks nice though.

I think but am not certain Deadpool is in one of the Marvel vs Capcom games.  Also I must be the only person on the planet that actually likes to play the Superman arcade game.   :lol

OP:  Overall your art flows very well.  I particularly like the Superman image (it is from the "blue hair" era I grew up with) but his logo is reversed. 

superhippieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2019, 10:08:10 am
  • I love my Superman Cabinet!
    • Micah Nichols Miniatures
Very nice! Any updates on this?
Also...i love the superman arcade game. Beat it on one credit!