Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Speakers for MAME?  (Read 3136 times)

obizues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2023, 06:17:35 pm
  • Before you start your next project, don’t.
Speakers for MAME?
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:40:03 am »
What kind of speakers do people recommend for MAME machines?  I’d also like to control the volume from the front of the cab easily on the front face of my CP if that changes things...

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Speakers for MAME?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 04:49:14 am »
Sky is the limit. You can use 2.1 speaker set or a arcade amp with 2 channels on 4 channels where you can (i suppose) put the 2 channels in cross for bass.
I myself use a arcade 2 channel and 6.5” 60w car speakers on my project(4Ohm) but any speakers will do.

All depends on how much you want to put time, effort and money for it.

Im think going to install my amp inside the kb/mouse drawer, because making it visible could be complicated.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:12:51 am »
The speakers will be about a foot from your face. 99 percent of classic games were not in stereo. 1 6x9 speaker with a small amp will get loud enough to make your ears bleed. The PC in my MAME cab combines the stereo signal into one channel. That way you get all of the sound even from stereo sources. Of course with some of these widescreen cabs two smaller speakers would look better.

Ignem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2018, 05:24:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:32:31 pm »
What do people do for a mechanical/hardware volume control if you're using a car amp and speakers?  Also, how would I power the amp, is it possible to do that from my PC's power supply?