Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to adjust the hardness of a pedal? and how to clean a wheel? (Fanatec CSR)  (Read 3681 times)

mickael28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi guys,

I just bought a Fanatec CSR today and I've got a couple of doubts.

Firstly, the accelerator was really weak so I was trying to adjust its strength. I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly though as I've moved one of the nuts as far as I could and it's almost as weak as before still?
1. Do you know what is the purpose of those 5 vertical holes behind the pedal?
2. Do you think I could keep on tightening that nut even more? At the moment it's pretty hard, so I thought I reached the limit, but not quite sure.
3. If there's another way to give this pedal a lot more hardness, could you please let me know?

And the other issue is that the bottom part of the wheel came really really dirty and sticky. I have been trying to clean it with the hand and some paper and it looks so bad. In fact, I think originally had some kind of soft foam and by the looking of it, that part is kind of removed and the plastic behind it seems to be appearing. Not sure if that's what's happening just yet or if it's just the look it's got whilst it's being cleaned. But, do you know how I should clean that part properly?
If possible to keep the soft foam, but failing that, I guess the black plastic behind it will look a lot better if it's clean and smooth that how it looks now:

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
I normally use isopropyl to clean up residue from plastics (Always test on small area first). For a less risky option soak some tissue in white vinegar  and then lay that on the residue, let it soak in for a while then try to wipe off.  I believe that the holes adjust the amount of travel in the pedal.   (And no, if you don't see any more thread don't tighten the nut any more, You could put some washers in to compress the spring more but I don't know if that will resolve a soft press pedal).

mickael28

• Offline Offline
I normally use isopropyl to clean up residue from plastics (Always test on small area first). For a less risky option soak some tissue in white vinegar  and then lay that on the residue, let it soak in for a while then try to wipe off.  I believe that the holes adjust the amount of travel in the pedal.   (And no, if you don't see any more thread don't tighten the nut any more, You could put some washers in to compress the spring more but I don't know if that will resolve a soft press pedal).

Thanks, I need to try a few things with the pedals, it has so little resistance by default.

I tried the vinegar idea for a little while and it was not doing much. It was so dirty/sticky/damaged that it was like not doing anything. I then tried with a little bit of Isopropanol that I had in the house and good and bad news. Good news is that it really removed all the stickiness and dirtiness, bad news is that it removed the original soft foam covering the plastic as well, but it was so badly damaged that I just carried on and removed the whole thing.

Such a massive difference now, it is usable now. I did this just in the bottom part, but then where one hangs is a lot better but sticky as well. I did the same in the worst parts and again, really clean and smooth, but in bare plastic without soft foam. I think I'll just do the same in the rest of the wheel this coming days, at least it all would have the same feeling. Now it's weird with patches of plastic here and there and sticky foam in some other places...

I think this might have a bit extreme, but I wonder how these things should be cleaned so that the sticky foam doesn't get damanged, a dry clothe or water didn't help either, strange that it seems so tricky to clean them properly without damage them

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
you calibrate the pedals in device manager?

You can also adjust the settings through the wheel itself, look up the manual on their website. I have the same wheel and pedals, paid like $700 bucks back in the day for them. I have both the 2 way shifter and the 6 speed as well.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
you calibrate the pedals in device manager?

You can also adjust the settings through the wheel itself, look up the manual on their website. I have the same wheel and pedals, paid like $700 bucks back in the day for them. I have both the 2 way shifter and the 6 speed as well.

Do you remember by any chance how to bring those settings up?

I was trying to go to 'settings - set up game controllers' yesterday but when clicking on 'properties' nothing happened (usually you get a config screen in other products). I was using Windows 10, but I couldn't seen that the drivers installed any software for it, so I couldn't calibrate anything.

But at the moment it seems that the physical spring doesn't offer much resistance for the accelerator (the other 2 pedals are really good)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
Well the accelerator pedal doesn't have much resistance, much like a real gas pedal. The brake is adjustable by the knob on the pedal but from min to max feels pretty much the same. I never adjusted the clutch.  The product guide is on their website but I'll see if I can find the booklet after I get home.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
You know, for the exposed plastic on the wheel, my solution would be to get one of those stitch-in wheel covers.  It would look nice and be fairly easy to clean off. 

mickael28

• Offline Offline
Well the accelerator pedal doesn't have much resistance, much like a real gas pedal. The brake is adjustable by the knob on the pedal but from min to max feels pretty much the same. I never adjusted the clutch.  The product guide is on their website but I'll see if I can find the booklet after I get home.
It moved the spring to the top hole and even though the distance I'm allowed now is a lot shorter, at least it offers much more resistance which I feel more comfortable with, at least for arcade style games.
I found the guide online, thanks.

You know, for the exposed plastic on the wheel, my solution would be to get one of those stitch-in wheel covers.  It would look nice and be fairly easy to clean off.
I had never thought about that, I need to research and see if there's something that fit properly and looks good. I kept on cleaning and almost all the rubber part is gone and exposing the plastic. I don't know how it got so badly damaged!
Thank you!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Back in the old days people would jam a squash ball under the brake pedal to make it feel more realistic.
I'm not sure if that would work in your case or not.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
It seems like the easiest way would be to go to the hardware store and find a stronger spring.  You need to be careful though as that's just plastic and there is probably a reason the tension isn't super strong. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
It seems like the easiest way would be to go to the hardware store and find a stronger spring.  You need to be careful though as that's just plastic and there is probably a reason the tension isn't super strong.

What's plastic?

mickael28

• Offline Offline
What's plastic?

I guess he's referring to the pedals and where the spring itself goes. I was thinking about checking a stronger spring if I manage to see the same size.