Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adjustable 4/8 Way Slider Question  (Read 2836 times)

chipdale53

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2019, 10:21:09 am
Adjustable 4/8 Way Slider Question
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:54:55 am »
Shedding the un-registered lurker status, and taking the plunge.

Developing my plans for my first cabinet, and quickly understanding how this becomes an obsession for perfection. To everyone in the community you're willingness to post and share is invaluable, and I've learned a lot from you. Probably my biggest learning curve was, when you find something that you think you can use later save it somewhere you can find it. Which brings me to where I am now. I've narrowed myself down to an attainable goal. I have my computer/software running well enough to move onto serious hardware planning, but have an issue currently.

Obviously GGG and Ultimarc both have adjustable sticks, some even automatic with varying prices. I've also seen various after market products for the same purpose, mostly on this forum with great reviews. However I ran across a build on the ole interwebs that is super similar to the Omnistik Prodigy with a slider on the top of the cabinet. The guy routed a channel in the top of his cab, and used a pin and knob (similar to a joystick) to create his own 4/8 way slider. Unfortunately being early in the planning/learning days, I hadn't learned to store that dude away for later use (it will always pop up in the same Google list right?  :banghead: ).

I'm not 100% sure this is the route I want to go, but wanted to review his plans and posts on its usability before making a final decision on which route I wanted to take. Based on everything I'm planning to do/play I know I want a set of JLFs, or equivalent, and the ability to switch it quickly for old school/fighters.

Has anyone seen this build, and if you have do you have a copy, link, or connection where I can ask him some questions? Obviously any other advice in this area would be welcome.
Thanks

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Adjustable 4/8 Way Slider Question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:39:23 pm »
I cant recall the name but there is a adapter that does what you describe.
It mounts on the top of the panel in place of the dust washer and adjusts with a little leaver.
I never really saw much else about them though.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:50:52 pm »
It mounts on the top of the panel in place of the dust washer and adjusts with a little leaver.

I think this is what your talking about. They make them for ball and bat tops, I don't have any experience with them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Joystick-switchable-Restrictor-plate-for-4-or-8-way-play-ball-top-sticks/232009886712?hash=item3604ddebf8:g:7cAAAOSwTO9aBNKa

Perfection is overrated. I have always used Happ 8-way competition stick and never had a real issue with 4 way games. But that's just me.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:25 pm »

I think this is what your talking about. They make them for ball and bat tops, I don't have any experience with them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Joystick-switchable-Restrictor-plate-for-4-or-8-way-play-ball-top-sticks/232009886712?hash=item3604ddebf8:g:7cAAAOSwTO9aBNKa

Perfection is overrated. I have always used Happ 8-way competition stick and never had a real issue with 4 way games. But that's just me.

Thats the buggers.

As for the happ comps I couldnt use them on 4 way games! I used to have then on my mame cab and switched them out for the Ultimarc Mag sticks.
Cant play pac man with a 8 way lol

chipdale53

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:28:54 pm »
Thanks guys. I've definitely seen those, and Happs Comp was on my radar. What games do you guys play most with your setups?

4 player sups and fighters were always my favorites, and we have lots of parties with big groups. So the main goal is a 4p cab that we can really get lots of people on, with the added benefit of some sick Smash TV action.

I'm thinking since this will be the first go at it, I may just order 2 more budget friendly models and not worry about switching on those. Then I can test run them in the 1p 2p slots. If I'm not crazy about them, move them to 3/4p, or hopefully like them and get it substantially cheaper.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:01 pm »
Thanks guys. I've definitely seen those, and Happs Comp was on my radar. What games do you guys play most with your setups?

4 player sups and fighters were always my favorites, and we have lots of parties with big groups. So the main goal is a 4p cab that we can really get lots of people on, with the added benefit of some sick Smash TV action.

I'm thinking since this will be the first go at it, I may just order 2 more budget friendly models and not worry about switching on those. Then I can test run them in the 1p 2p slots. If I'm not crazy about them, move them to 3/4p, or hopefully like them and get it substantially cheaper.

I would only bother fitting them to P1 and P2, The only 4 player 4 way game I can think of is bomberman.

I wont go into it but read up on the different 4/8 way sticks and their characteristics.

They are a marmite thing you either love or hate.

As said above I have the mag sticks and love them but some hate them due to the short throw.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:11:38 pm »

4 ways definitely have their place, but from what you want to do, I would suggest going with 8 ways. Most 4 way games are older arcade games and many of them are 1 player only.

I have a 4 player arcade I built specifically for modern 4 player party PC games. You just blew my mind with the Smash TV idea. I somehow never realized I have a cab with 4 joysticks and I could be playing Smash TV!

Bad picture but here it is.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 05:58:34 pm »

4 ways definitely have their place, but from what you want to do, I would suggest going with 8 ways. Most 4 way games are older arcade games and many of them are 1 player only.

I have a 4 player arcade I built specifically for modern 4 player party PC games. You just blew my mind with the Smash TV idea. I somehow never realized I have a cab with 4 joysticks and I could be playing Smash TV!

Bad choice of game to have on the screen LOL

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 06:38:03 pm »
you are correct sir  :), but it works fine with the 8-ways I have.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 08:16:28 pm »

One of my faves, Better with 4 ways ;)

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 09:14:15 pm »

One of my faves, Better with 4 ways ;)

No doubt you are correct.

chipdale53

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:58 pm »

Glad I brought something to the table...  :cheers:
Yeah 2p Smash with double sticks, just like the ArcadeGods intended.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I got my BS in CG back in 2004 and my brother is a EE. I sent him a message last night saying, how interesting and addictive I've already found this. I've already got a growing list of friends/family requesting "the next build". lol

chipdale53

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29:52 am »
Didn't even think last night about this.

Hey do you have any dimensions, plans, or suggestions? That cab is almost exactly like what I have planned.
Do you use the extra buttons on player 3/4?
Do you like the player 3/4 straight?
Were you worried about the width of it when building it?

Currently I'm thinking of:
only doing 4 buttons for players 3/4
6 buttons for players 1/2
straight on 3/4 players like yours
going to put it on casters and use HDMI out so I can roll it around to different TVs where I want/put it out of the way when needed
trackball in the center for GoldenTee and Bowling

Thanks