Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build Number #1  (Read 7618 times)

DeeDub76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2018, 02:12:23 pm
Build Number #1
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:01:45 am »
Keep it simple is what I have to keep telling myself.  This is my very first build and I want to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Fortunately, there is a ton of great info here on this forum to help with that.

I will be using Raspberry Pi to run Retropie. My intent is to build something that my wife and boys can play (actually more for my wife and myself. We are kind of competitive) We prefer all the old school arcade classics.

Hence the name of this build.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:45:48 am by DeeDub76 »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Build Number #1
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:51:55 am »
Love the look of this thing! Glad you fixed the pictures. What size monitor are you using? It looks a bit long between your control panel and marquee. That control panel is sexy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:10:01 pm by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »
That's a sharp CPO.   :cheers:

Will the monitor be mounted vertically?

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »
First build....home run.  :)

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:59:40 pm »
Posted by: Ian
« on: Today at 11:51:55 am »
Insert QuoteInsert Quote

Love the look of this thing! Glad you fixed the pictures. What size monitor are you using? It looks a bit long between your control panel and marquee. That control panel is sexy.

Thank you Ian!

The monitor I am using is approximately 16" x 13". It fits well with the bezel I plan on using. Plus, I scored this LCD monitor at a thrift store for $15 !!

So the monitor will be on the same angle as the control panel. (I promise to have some updated pics soon!)  This cabinet was originally based off the Galaga profile, but I changed a few things to make it my own.

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:46 am »
I had some time to work on the marquee tonight.

I have seen many ways to accomplish this. My first thought was to cut slots into the cabinet sides  for the marquee to slide down into, but decided against that option.  I settled on going with some aluminum angle from the local big box hardware store. I am going to spray these with some semi gloss black to blend them into the cabinet.

This marquee is painted with phosphorescent paint, so when back lit with a black light the logo will glow. Installing the lighting and speaker will be my next steps. Stay tuned!!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:51:06 am »
I don’t usually like collages of arcade characters, but that’s clean.  Nice work. :applaud:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:32:53 pm »
I don’t usually like collages of arcade characters, but that’s clean.  Nice work. :applaud:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100%
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 01:12:58 pm »
You can buy that artwork at Phoenix Arcade.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:18:33 pm »

Beat me to it. ;)
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Build Number #1
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:51:08 pm »

Beat me to it.

It looked familiar, didn’t it? Phoenix Arcade does great work, I’ve bought many items from him.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:52:51 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:40 am »
I have been struggling with what color this cabinet is going to be.

So here is what I have in mind; I want to do the sides, back, and the lower front in a blue that matches the grid in the vinyl

Then the interior panels surrounding the monitor will be black as well as black T-molding. If i had access to photoshop I would provide a rendering for a better visual.  :(  So with that being said, what are your thoughts or suggestions?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 11:39:33 am »
With that artwork, I'd go with lime green t-molding. Black cabinet.
%Bartop

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 02:51:27 pm »
Posted by: Ian
« on: Today at 11:51:55 am »
Insert QuoteInsert Quote

Thank you Ian!

The monitor I am using is approximately 16" x 13". It fits well with the bezel I plan on using. Plus, I scored this LCD monitor at a thrift store for $15 !!

So the monitor will be on the same angle as the control panel. (I promise to have some updated pics soon!)  This cabinet was originally based off the Galaga profile, but I changed a few things to make it my own.

Time to change your plans. That monitor bay is taller than the bay on a twin monitor Nintendo cabinet and you are going to stick a tiny little 19" LCD in there. It will never look right. You need to either go much bigger and go vertical or stack 2 monitors and have the second monitor show game instruction cards or something.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 02:53:42 pm »
I was thinking the same thing.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 04:35:54 pm »
That makes 3 of us. The opening for your monitor is massive. Your bezel is going to swallow up the screen. It's gonna look really odd.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:24:20 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 01:59:50 am »
I have been struggling with what color this cabinet is going to be.

So here is what I have in mind; I want to do the sides, back, and the lower front in a blue that matches the grid in the vinyl

Then the interior panels surrounding the monitor will be black as well as black T-molding. If i had access to photoshop I would provide a rendering for a better visual.  :(  So with that being said, what are your thoughts or suggestions?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29:18 am »
That makes 3 of us. The opening for your monitor is massive. Your bezel is going to swallow up the screen. It's gonna look really odd.

With the opening you have for the screen you could look to put a large TV (maybe 46”) and turn it vertically, then via software create the play space you want.  You’d be able to have vertical games show with a vertical play field and horizontal games with a horizontal field.  You would also be able to introduce dynamic bezels as well.  Check the Mimic build by Laythe as an example:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:19 am »
I hear what you guys are saying.

I originally started off with the Galaga cabinet profile, but wasn't really satisfied with the overall height. With that being said I extended the cabinet height from above the CP. The result being a large area for the monitor. I mean isn't your first cab supposed to be a learning process??  ;)

Anyways, here are some updates. I managed to get the mounting braces installed for the monitor as well as the LED black lights.

The bezel is going to be backlit.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 08:43:16 am »
That is really odd looking. Just re-cut the sides to a rational profile. Your bezel, cp, and marquee look good. Don't squander that by sticking to a terrible profile. This is easily fixable. Don't settle for terrible.

Option 2 is to install a fish tank under the marquee.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:36 am »
I get what Mike is saying... It wouldn't be a complete do over and you could get this thing looking very sharp. However, as it is.... it looks fine. It does. Once everything is painted and you install the T-molding you are going to love it. It's your first build and you and your kids are going to play the hell out of this thing.

I would paint the sides black gloss, and either use Galaxian Green T-Molding or Electric Blue Tron T-Molding.

What kind of Controls did you go with? What kind of Buttons?  (In my experience you can never go cheap in this area, it is one of the most important parts!)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:32:10 am by Ian »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 09:52:38 am »
I respectfully disagree with you Ian. Everyone who looks at that will have a varying negative first reaction. Even if they don't immediately put their finger on the reason. It is disproportionate. Human brains, to different degrees, don't like that on an innate level. It is an easily fixable problem at this stage. Just do it right the first time.

If the whole thing was crap, I would say leave it be. However, he rest of it looks really good. It is worth salvaging.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:54:26 am by Mike A »

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:57:29 am »
How ---smurfing--- dare you respectfully disagree!  ;)

I just think a good paint job and art will level it out. Kind of trick the eye so to speak. And if this build is for his kids and his wife, they wont care. My first build was far from perfect but all my drunk friends didn't care, they worshiped my build. Like a good bartender know your patrons.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:59:28 am by Ian »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
Biggest problem is that if he ever builds a second machine it will also have to be 7' tall or else it will make this one look even stranger.

Another suggestion to salvage it is do a big cut out on that back board of the monitor bay, install a vertical LCD there, and have it display something like a Galaga starfield or matrix character waterfall or something.

What I would do however is cut off the marquee box, cut off the correct amount of size from the cabinet sides, route that for t-molding, install that, route the bottom of the marquee box for t-molding too, that way the resulting 2 piece sides will look decent.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 10:57:49 am »
That's it!!! I'm going to pour some gas on this thing and watch it burn!!

Just kidding.

At this point, redoing the profile can't happen without destruction due to the fact that this thing is glued and screwed together. I have plenty of friends that really want to buy this cabinet from me. So I figure I will get a few months of playing it and then send it to a new home.

I already have plans for a second cabinet in mind (2 player & larger monitor). Before I start I will be sure to post my plans here for approval  ;) 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:48 am »
Another suggestion to salvage it is do a big cut out on that back board of the monitor bay, install a vertical LCD there, and have it display something like a Galaga starfield or matrix character waterfall or something.

Ugh, I hate when I agree with you.

My first though was have a horizontal screen where the bezel is now, and a vertical one on the back.
Personally? I'd lay it on its side and follow the angle of the CP with a skill saw and make it a low boy. Use the Marquee like a kick-plate.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 12:39:58 pm »
So as I near the part of the process of paint, I have been considering having some of the finish slightly distressed. Something with a little wear and tear, but not over done. My idea is to replicate a cabinet that has seen some use from years in an arcade or that has sat in the corner of a pizza shop.

What are your thoughts? Just let it age naturally?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 01:01:58 pm »
You have seriously got to behead that thing.

Google the Disney Wreck it Ralph cabinets.  They distressed those things to give them a patina.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 01:55:11 pm »
Everyone learns from their first build.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:25:05 pm by vwalbridge »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 01:57:55 pm »
So as I near the part of the process of paint, I have been considering having some of the finish slightly distressed. Something with a little wear and tear, but not over done. My idea is to replicate a cabinet that has seen some use from years in an arcade or that has sat in the corner of a pizza shop.

What are your thoughts? Just let it age naturally?
   The whole world is full of distressed junk, And to duplicate it seems a bit pretentious (IMO).... However given the acreage, one does have options, such as carnival style spook house art as a background printed on big sheets of vinyl, while incorporating, something a little more arcade related out front, 

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 02:16:41 pm »
I like it.   :dunno

It's tall enough to get all up in there with my bad videogaming posture, without bashing my head on the marquee.

DeeDub76

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2018, 09:14:41 am »
The worlds tallest cabinet is now complete!

It has been a blast reliving some old memories with games I have totally forgot about. The family is enjoying it as well.

I am already planning for build #2. I promise that it will have much better size proportion  ;D

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 09:30:21 am »
Congrats on completing the build. I am glad you want to build another one. Think CRT monitor for your next cab.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 09:55:27 am »
Looks good and glad to see you've gotten an early start on the only game that anyone will ever want to play ever - Galaga.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 02:16:06 pm »
Option 2 is to install a fish tank under the marquee.

This.