Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 12v and 5v lights and a raspberry pi  (Read 3053 times)

thefox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2021, 05:09:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • From The Old Arcade
12v and 5v lights and a raspberry pi
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:29:29 pm »
Quick question please. I am in the process of converting my cab from a tired old PC to a raspberry pi. I would like to keep new parts to a minimum where possible. I have a 12v cold cathode marquee light and a 5v LED illuminated fake coin button (I think it was from ultimarc ? Can't find a link so I assume they aren't available nowadays).

Anyway, how would you recommend powering these ? Can I connect the 5v button to the pi? Or shall I get a powered USB hub and hack it from there ? What power supply would be god for the cathode ? Or would I be better replacing it with LED ?

I'm thinking of connecting each to a power strip inside the box. Haven't worked out how to power it all on/off with one button push yet though.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Born in the early seventies
Grew up in the arcades in the 80's
Built "The Fox-Box" in 2012.

https://fromtheoldarcade.wordpress.com/

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: 12v and 5v lights and a raspberry pi
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:38 pm »
I would power them from a tired old PC power supply with convenient 12v and 5v rails at the ready.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:45:15 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »
5v LED illuminated fake coin button (I think it was from ultimarc ? Can't find a link so I assume they aren't available nowadays).
Looks like RandyT has replaced the NovaGemCDR with the HelioGemCDR.

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89

Can I connect the 5v button to the pi? Or shall I get a powered USB hub and hack it from there ?
The NovaGemCDR draws a lot of current for powering it through the pi.

Power Requirements:
Nova Single color: 100ma @ 5v DC Per button.

Seems like either the powered USB hub, a separate 5v power supply, or Osirus23's suggestion of a computer PSU (maybe a pico PSU?) to power everything would be a better option.

Scott

thefox

• Offline Offline
    • From The Old Arcade
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 04:33:29 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the psu is the way to go. The one I have is an old beast with a noisy fan, and might be a bit OTT for what I need. I'll hook it up for now but I think I'll order an 80w Pico. I need to look into whether I can power the pi from it too.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:34:00 am »
I think I'll order an 80w Pico. I need to look into whether I can power the pi from it too.
Yes you can.

Related video.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:37:25 am by PL1 »

thefox

• Offline Offline
    • From The Old Arcade
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:30 am »
Wow, interesting video, thanks. The guy uses a 120w picoPSU. Do you think an 80w would be enough for my needs ?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:53:48 am »
Wow, interesting video, thanks. The guy uses a 120w picoPSU. Do you think an 80w would be enough for my needs ?

Would depend on "Your Needs" -- How many 12V and 5V Amps does everything require at Maximum + a bit of Extra for safety ??

Figure as shown by PL1 - NovaGemCDR require 100ma per button so 2 would be .2 Amps of 5V -- The pi3 recommend 2.5A of 5V  = so 2 novagems and the pi require 2.7A of 5V - JUst figure out what other items use what amount of 5V and add it all up then add a bit extra in case you add something else or decide you need to OC the pi which will require a biit more power and do the same for the 12V and you'll have an idea of how many Watts of power you need and thus know what size PSU ( and how that PSU separates the various rails ) is needed for "Your Needs" - We can only guess since we do not know exactly what you are using in your build so any answer we give you may or may not be correct !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:55:21 am by JDFan »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:44 pm »
Forget the big power supply for 12v and 5v.  Just buy this and wire them up that way.  This one has both 12v and 5v.  Yellow wires are 12v, red wires are 5v, black wires are ground.  Your cathode light may even have molex connectors already on it.  Completely silent and small solution:
http://amzn.to/2qnQybz

DeL
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:39:19 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:22:36 pm »
Forget the big power supply for 12v and 5v.  Just buy this and wire them up that way.  This one has both 12v and 5v.  Yellow wires are 12v, red wires are 5v, black wires are ground.  Your cathode light may even have molex connectors already on it.  Completely silent and small solution:
http://amzn.to/2qnQybz

DeL

PRoblem with that one is it only rated at 2A on each the 12V and 5V rails -- and the pi itself recommends 2.5A 5v so trying to run the pi and NovaGems off of the 5v portion is already pushing it over spec - then the 12V is also 2A so depending on how many 12V lights he is using may need more than 2A of 12V as well ( figure 2x 12 + 2x5 is only 34W total output which is pretty low ! )

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 10:42:42 pm »
Do you think an 80w would be enough for my needs ?
This looks like the manual.

http://resources.mini-box.com/online/PWR-PICOPSU-80/PWR-PICOPSU-80-manual.pdf

5V is rated for up to 6A.

"5VSB" is rated for up to 1.5A.

12V is rated for up to 4A.

As JDFan mentioned, we can't say for sure if it meets your needs without knowing exactly what your needs are, but it does look promising.

Scott

thefox

• Offline Offline
    • From The Old Arcade
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 04:09:58 am »
Okay just an update on what I've done so far, powering everything in my arcade cabinet (including the raspberry pi) from one single Power supply.

I made a video of what I’ve done here:

Using the ATX PSU, I made the following connections to it:

5v molex to the Pi (I just cut the pi mains adapter plug off and just wired the cable from the micro USB on the pi into the molex. An expensive option, but I straightforward, and I was getting impatient waiting for a molex to micro USB cable to arrive from China).

5v molex to the NovaGen coin button led

12v molex to the cathode light

12v molex to a cheap 12v 40w car amp. I have this amp connected to 2 10w speakers, and at the moment it's connected to the pi audio jack with an RCA phono cable. But this part of he setup needs work because the background noise is terrible.The amp has an annoyingly flashing LED in it, which is also generating awful noise.

I've got the control panel linked via an ipac2 into the pi usb.

I had an arcade button on there as a momentary switch for powering on/off via the old pic motherboard. I can't really see an option for keeping this. Instead I've shorted the green and black on the psu Sata connector via a latch switch to turn the whole thing on and off. This doesn't allow a "soft" shutdown of the pi, so i will investigate options for this.

I've connected an HDMI to VGA adapter from the pi to the monitor.

A single twin kettle plug splitter cable runs mains power to the monitor and the PSU. The monitor boots when signal is applied from the pi.

It all works well, apart from the noise interference through the speakers.

I've ordered a 180w PICO ITX power supply. It's on it way slowly from Hong Kong. My current PSU is quite noisy, so I'm gonna try swapping it out for the quiet PICO.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:25:34 am by thefox »