Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problem with pioneer mp3 conversion  (Read 3002 times)

MadGamer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 10:40:51 am
  • Locotestman
Problem with pioneer mp3 conversion
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
 :banghead: It seems that there are some compatibility issues with certain hard drives and cf memory cards.
If you have this conversion I would love to know what drive or cf card you are using thanks.
I used to be Knowledgeable !!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Problem with pioneer mp3 conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:30:17 am »
are you using the MP3 adapter available from cdadapter.com?

if so, you must use a drive equal or smaller than 80gb in size, as the firmware on the adapter is limited to that size.

your drive must also be forced formatted to FAT32 file system, not NTFS or whatever your particular OS might be defaulting to. with modern OS's (windows 10 etc) you usually have to download a utility to accomplish this as windows tends to force you to use a particular format over certain sizes and for certain devices.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cant-format-flash-drive-to-fat32-in-windows-10/0d47d1ce-5f7d-41f9-a996-720cfedc4e16?auth=1

following the instructions in the link and using the AOMEI Partition Assistant software in the link, you can properly format your device as fat32.

there is also some instructions concerning formatting here:

http://www.cdadapter.com/download/fat32formatting.pdf

MadGamer

• Offline Offline
  • Locotestman
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:55:17 am »
I used a hitachi drive formatted with their method and its really intermittent multiple startups required then it will work. But after selecting a few songs it starts having issues. It’s a 60gb forced formatted to fat32 I ordered a cf card to see if it’s better but if you look at their campatability chart it almost hit or miss.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:11:57 am by MadGamer »

lilshawn

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:35:40 pm »
I've never had issues with Toshiba drives or Western Digital drives (other than outright failure.) to avoid the weird 80gb bug, we always just used 20/40/60 gig drives...which was more than enough for the cd100 kits we had bought.

never tried a compact flash card with these adapters. But yeah, the FAQ mentions a real mix of results. not sure what the deal is... maybe they just don't want to fix the firmware to fix a size limitation bug since chances are pretty low you'd ever need more than that. (like hacking an absolute max load with 100 CD's and 99 tracks each to have 9900 songs.)

MadGamer

• Offline Offline
  • Locotestman
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:22:43 pm »
I emailed them for recommendations  on drives they just said they had none in stock. I have no idea why they wouldn’t want to make sure their customers would know what drives work just as support but it seems like there waiting for someone to tell them. It’s not easy to try hard drives and cf cards then return them.

lilshawn

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »
yeah, back when these were super popular upgrades, you'd find a drive that works...and buy 20% more drives than you needed to have spares... back then, it wasn't a big deal, cause those WERE the drives available at the time. They were literally new stock.

Now, not so much.

MadGamer

• Offline Offline
  • Locotestman
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 05:57:00 am »
*update*. They upgraded their pioneer kit because of plagued power supply problems new unit uses sd card seems to be working better.