Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Prototype Chrono Trigger Bartop  (Read 2181 times)

oddlygeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2018, 06:51:05 pm
    • Oddly Geek - Etsy Store
Prototype Chrono Trigger Bartop
« on: March 10, 2018, 06:15:53 pm »
Just thought I would share some pictures of the prototype build of my arcade cabinet design (this one was themed for Chrono Trigger). I had built one of those flat pack kit all over ebay and was unsatisfied with its over all design, like the cramped CPO, marquee space and being limited to smaller monitor sizes.  I have had some experience in Fusion 360 designing for 3D printing, so I decided to design my own arcade cabinet. 

Some of the things I was looking to achieve were:
  • A classic looking design that had a touch of class to it , unlike most flat packs which are meant to be cut out with a CNC machine (mine was all cut out by hand using a template also hand made but makes reproducing easy)
  • I wanted to have enough marquee space to actually have a backlit marquee worth seeing.
  • I wanted a little wider foot print. Thus bigger screen and little wider CPO for two players.
  • I wanted a fold out CPO so its not such a pain to wire, and it can also be used to store usb console controlers.

All in all I am happy with how it has turned out.  The pictures really don't do it justice, especially the ones with the actual marquee instead of the place holder.  Note - the marquee is the finished marquee it just has to be replaced. The guy i let cut the plexi screwed it up, I should have done it myself but thought I would save myself the trouble and well you know how that goes.

The specs are - ~26" tall and 23.25" wide  with a max monitor actual width of 22" (or a 23.6" to 24" monitor). I am running retropie on a raspberry pi 3, sound is from logitech S120 speakers cut out of the case and mounted at the speaker holes, controls are ILs (I like the way they feel way more than the zippys i used in my first build).

Currently have a second bartop almost finished.  Its going to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed, I just keep dragging my feet on getting the marquee designed...... And if I will quit playing games on the pi instead of installing it.