Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any one know what the fastest response time of the various Microswitches avail ?  (Read 1877 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I've been testing various games & noticed a slight lag in response time ever so slightly from one micro-switch to the other. Does anyone happen to know which micro-switches are the fastest response times? I found D44 cherry's to be pretty good but was curious if anyone else knows specifically which micros have a faster response time.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
I am pretty sure every microswitch out there is faster than the polling rate of every arcade game out there. At best the controls are being read once every 1/60th of a second, pretty sure every microswitch closes faster than that.

Are you testing with an emulator, are you using an LCD monitor?
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
If you are seeing a noticeable lag after pressing the switch and its not present with other switches (ie its not caused by the application which as paigeoliver mentions, would have some lag), then the switch is probably due for replacement as the contacts may be tarnished.

A switch with dirty contacts can exhibit a delay as the contact might not be fully closed until a few "bounces" have happened on the contacts.

Switches with gold-plated contacts generally do not suffer from this. The best types of switches for gaming are those designed for use with low voltages and currents where the contacts would be made of a material most resistant to tarnishing. I would not agree that Cherry D44 are particularly good, these have 10 amp-rated silver plated contacts which tarnish easily.

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
I've been testing various games & noticed a slight lag in response time ever so slightly from one micro-switch to the other. Does anyone happen to know which micro-switches are the fastest response times? I found D44 cherry's to be pretty good but was curious if anyone else knows specifically which micros have a faster response time.

Your overthinking this.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc

Your overthinking this.

I agree the OP is not really on the right track. He has evidently come across faulty switches rather than ones with different response times to others.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I cant imagine any properly functioning microswitch having a humanly noticeable lag... or humanly noticeable difference between different switches

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
   A scope would tell the story.... Personally Jennifer still prefers analog, because of that refresh rate P/Oliver speaks of (also that old dog tricks thing), and is all OCD with 10hz rubidium calibration practices. Bla,Bla,Bla.... But thing is its also quite a bit cheaper too, and is a nice addition to any workbench, that deals with trigger points like this, and prototyping.