Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Latest Nintendo Direct  (Read 3827 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Latest Nintendo Direct
« on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:23 pm »
Yeah so lots of cool announcements.... it looks like the switch is going to get some actual 3rd party support and not half-assed mini games like the wii did.  Dark Souls looks good, South Park looks good, the upcoming No More Heroes looks good... goodness all around.  So now captain toad is coming to the switch with new levels.  It's like they are intentionally punishing people who stuck with the company and bought a wii u.  Smash was announced, but we all expected that. 

Sadly no new Metroid news, so I guess it isn't coming out this year.  I thought we'd at least get a prime trilogy pack to tide us over.  Mario Tennis looks great, but $60 for a Mario sports title = nothankyou.gif  The single player DLC for splatoon 2 looks like a portal rip-off.... not that it's a bad thing.  If it were free dlc or stand-alone I'd pick it up right now, but seeing as how I'm not really interested in the multi-player I'll pass. 

So now I'm not so worried about the lack of games on the switch. 

What do you guys think?  Thoughts?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Latest Nintendo Direct
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:48:04 pm »
Okami HD and Undertale is where it’s at. I’ll finally play these titles.

Octopath Traveler confirmed release date was nice too.

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:18:17 am »
Okami HD and Undertale is where it’s at. I’ll finally play these titles.

Octopath Traveler confirmed release date was nice too.

My kids and their friends were obsessed with Undertale for about a month or two then they dropped it like a bad habit.
I still haven't played it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:44:20 am »
How long exactly is one supposed to play Undertale?  It didn't strike me as a particularly lengthy game.  I played it on PC and quickly lost interest.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 04:47:21 pm »
Yeah I'm not into new games made to look old on purpose that are somehow supposed to be meaningful because, "art".  20 of those are released every minute.  It's not a bad game, just nothing special.  When I say "games" it should be understood that I mean AAA titles with some meat on them and not downloadable games.  You don't buy a console for $9.99 indie games, even if they are good.  I mean it's good that it'll be on the switch, but again, it's a $9.99 DL game... those typically make it to everything. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:39:11 pm »
How long exactly is one supposed to play Undertale?  It didn't strike me as a particularly lengthy game.  I played it on PC and quickly lost interest.

I asked my 9 yr old.
lack of updates is the reason why kids lost interest.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 10:52:39 pm »
Yeah I'm not into new games made to look old on purpose that are somehow supposed to be meaningful because, "art".  20 of those are released every minute.  It's not a bad game, just nothing special.  When I say "games" it should be understood that I mean AAA titles with some meat on them and not downloadable games.  You don't buy a console for $9.99 indie games, even if they are good.  I mean it's good that it'll be on the switch, but again, it's a $9.99 DL game... those typically make it to everything.

I agree.
but i also love steam because of the indy fodder.

there is one with an eskimo and their wolf companion.
And another where you are a shadow person and some dude with a deep voice spoon feeds you info while you play.

the only game i played regularly was WOW and I was actually good at it.
That was a few yrs ago though.

right now my 9 yr old can play his guy on cup head and not die while telling me how to play my guy on cuphead while I die.
WTF?
I don't know if i'm really really really bad/retarded/old or if my boy is some kind of mutant.

However even though i die alot, i still have fun playing

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 11:24:07 pm »
Cuphead is a bit too big to be considered an indie title imho... I'm not sure what you would call it, it's a middle sized game.  Maybe AA would apply?

I like a ton of indie games because there are always a decent chunk that remind me of the old school games we all grew up with.  I just don't rely on those for my main game allotment.  They are more of a fun treat than anything else.  Like Shovel Knight and the latest Shantae game.  They are fun games!  I also got through both in about a week, which is fine, but everyone was telling me how wonderful and artful those games were, particularly Shovel Knight.  No, they weren't.  They are what we would have considered a good rental title back in the nes/snes days..... great to rent for a couple of weekends, finish and then never think about, much less play, ever again. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 08:46:40 am »
I'm playing Evoland right now for maybe an hr a week.
not a lot of time to play games.
too many projects i want to get done.
so simple games work for me right now.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 07:40:23 am »
If you havent tried yooka laylee. Give that a go, if you are into collectathon platformers.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 11:17:47 am »
If you havent tried yooka laylee. Give that a go, if you are into collectathon platformers.

That might be the first game I buy when I finally get my Switch.  We played the Banjo Kazooie games for hours and hours BITD.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 09:08:53 pm »
Now see, I think the collect-a-thon games is where Rare started to go downhill.  I can remember playing DKC back in the day and thinking "This game is fun, but what's with all the pointless collecting?" only for it to get even worse by with the two subsequent sequels.  By the time they had got to the N64 platformers that became the main focus of the games and they lost me.  Honestly I think Goldeneye/Perfect Dark were their last good games.