Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So no more friend codes!  (Read 2763 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
So no more friend codes!
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:29 am »
This one kind of slipped under the radar and I know for some of you it's a big deal, so I thought I would mention it.  The latest Switch update allows you to link your facebook and twitter accounts with the Switch.  Any people you have on those accounts will show up as a friend suggestion if they've also linked their accounts to their switch. 

So afaict that means no friend codes!  That should make things much easier.  My long dead facebook page might get some use after all. 

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: So no more friend codes!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:27:41 am »
Was just reading the Online services thats coming out later this year.

https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/switch/online-service/

Classic Game Selection*
Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 11:28:55 am »
Honestly I'd still rather use "c852407f-361e-46d3-bc62-2ffcc8c8b1a3" than use Twitter for Facebook.

Was just reading the Online services thats coming out later this year.

https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/switch/online-service/

Classic Game Selection*
Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

Lemme guess, this is what we're getting for a Virtual Console now? Subscription-only?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:33:34 am by Osirus23 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:47:15 pm »
Not exactly.  Unlike Microsoft and Sony's network, the classic game access doesn't require an additional subscription fee.  Also their multiplayer network is going to be extremely cheap, like 20 bucks for a full year. 

In terms of the virtual console, they've pretty much said that it isn't coming back.  It appears that they are handing over old game re-releases to a third party, but thus far it's only been some of their arcade titles like Vs Super Mario Bros. and a bunch of neo-geo stuff that's been released a million times over. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 04:31:06 pm »
So I took a little trip over to gbatemp to see what this one does behind the scenes....

It adds KASLR, which is an anti-homebrew technique that randomizes the hardware addresses, making it much tougher to crack.  That being said, the tegra chips used in the switch have a hardware exploit that can never be patched out, so it isn't doom and gloom like some might lead you to believe.  THAT being said, Nintendo is slated to get a chip upgrade on the next production run of switches, which will most likely patch the exploit. 

So if you have to use homebrew now, don't upgrade, and if you are interested in using homebrew in the future, I would suggest you get one of these first gen switches now.