Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV-Out Radeon  (Read 2056 times)

scarty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2019, 11:28:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
TV-Out Radeon
« on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:50 pm »
Is it possible to connect directly with a single cable Radeon cards (listed below) to Composite RCA or RGB SCART in CRT tv?
1.R7 370 (Asus)
2.R7 260x (Gigabyte)
3.R7 250 (Sapphire)

vga/dvi-i -------> single cable ------> Composite RCA/SCART

Do these Radeons have a TV-Out function built-in?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: TV-Out Radeon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:33 pm »
The TV-out refers to a mini-din connector of up to 9 pins, or possibly to a single RCA jack used for composite video. They would output composite or S-video at 480i, and *only* at 480i. Later models often had component video as well, and that might go higher.

However, the answer to your question is (mostly) yes. Newer versions of crt_emudriver (beta 13) can output composite sync directly over the VGA or DVI-i port, so any vga-to-RGBScart cable intended for a projector will probably work with any of those three cards - you'll need to check the specs on then having DVI-I (=analog) for yourself. The only issue might be if your TV doesn't like TTL-level sync.

Calamity, what level will cards output C-sync at? How safe is delivering 5Vp-p where the sync circuitry wants -0.3Vp-p?

scarty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 12:02:46 pm »
Thanks Buttersoft.
Do I need some special dongle on DVI-I?
I wonder if regular pc (Steam) games will work. Will they work even without crt emu_ driver?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
I wrote out a guide to answer most of these types of questions, though you should also be reading the stickies up the top of this subforum :)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor

scarty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 05:11:05 pm »
Excellent, comprehensive guide!  :applaud:

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:18:59 am »
I wrote out a guide to answer most of these types of questions, though you should also be reading the stickies up the top of this subforum :)

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor

I was actually thinking this morning of building a PC strictly for GM usage with a CRT, PVM, or Arcade monitor.

Thanks for your guide and I can't wait to dive in. 

Bookmarked it as well :)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:58:13 am »
YW. Just remember that despite the level of detail it goes into in some places, it really is a basic guide. There's a lot of things that can go wrong that hopefully won't :) I get stumped, myself, trying to remember everything, and have to come ask the big cheese Calamity occasionally.