Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with wires!  (Read 2740 times)

Erm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2018, 09:22:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help with wires!
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:57:23 pm »
So I am putting together a list of things for my first build... An arcade joystick with raspberry pi 3.

I would like led buttons. Problem is most if not all sellers list led buttons in 2player kits, but I am only building the one joystick, and even then they don't all seem to include all the necessary wires. So thought I would buy everything separately.

So far I have:

Zero Delay USB Encoder PC to Joystick 2pin + Happ Push Button For Arcade MAME

10x New 30mm Chrome Silver LED Illuminated Push Butttons For Arcade Jamma Parts

Handle Arcade Game Set Arcade Joystick Acrylic Panel & Case Replacement Kit

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if I am on the right track here, and point me in the right direction especially regarding the wires for the led element. I have been watching tutorials and viewing other resources but if anything I am just getting more confused now.

Thanks.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Help with wires!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:02:38 am »
Ime guessing you are from the UK?

If so forget ebay most of the stuff on there is knock off and not so good quality.

Go to arcade world and buy the decent stuff for only fractionally more.

I would suggest a better controller though like maybe the Xin Mo or if your budget allows a Ipac.

As for the LED question there are many ways to skin that cat.
What do you want to achieve and whats your budget?

Gamer360

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2018, 08:22:29 am
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 06:15:04 am »
I can 2nd that stay away from the ebay l.e.d buttons. They are very cheap the lights flicker on and off, the buttons click they feel like a toggle switch. click click click. i have a cab that i used them on and they are the worst!!! so obnoxious as soon as i get new ones i'm tossing in the garbage wont even keep for parts.

Erm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:46 am »
Thanks for the tips! And yes I am from the UK. This is intended to be a little extra something for someone's Birthday, so I wanted to keep costs as low as possible, but at the same time it needs to be something they enjoy and I would prefer to get quality parts because I expect they will get a lot of use out of it. I didn't realise there would be such a quality difference because they all look so similar.

So I went on arcade world's website. They sell a 1player kit for £31.19. Says button hole required is 28mm but I will have 30mm so not sure about that? Other than that they are not LED buttons, I would consider it still if its worth it, but because this particular kit looks exactly like the stuff on ebay I am not sure 1-Player-Arcade-Joystick-Buttons-And-Arcade-Controller-Wiring-Kit

Alternatively I can buy separately and get branded parts. I would be happy to get either the Zero Delay or Xin Mo, would I will really notice the difference?

The only LED buttons arcade world lists that I could see fit 30mm holes are branded (Seimitsu), and are nearly £10 for each button. That is way to expensive for me.

The Xin Mo is £15.59 without LED and £21 with LED interface so not much in it. I am not sure if the LED one includes all cables necessary for LED wiring though? It says it includes 1 x Wiring harness. xin-mo-1-player-arcade-controller-with-led-interface-ps3-pc.

Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT.

Sanwa-OBSN-30-Arcade-Button.

So I could be looking at:

Xin Mo is £15.59
10 branded buttons, 8x30mm and 2x24mm, £21.96
Branded joystick £20.39
£57.94 total.

More than I wanted to spend but if its the best thing to do then I might just have to put up with it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:15:12 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:00:16 am »
I know I am in the minority here, but forget LED buttons. They look like garbage. Worry about how they play, not how they sparkle.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:26:29 am »
Ok so if you want to keep things inexpensive I would drop the LED’s (unless you just want to illuminate certain buttons like start etc)

Then I would go for Happ concave buttons (which are 28mm buttons)

And then a Xin Mo, They really are better than the zero delay imo and come with a wirei g harness.

As for sticks well thats a personal choice thing but any of the branded ones should be ok for you.

Erm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:56:00 am »
OK Cheers. So you think I will be ok with 28mm buttons in a 30mm hole? Were only talking 1mm either side I know, but the diameter of button across plunger is 1ml either side also, at 32mm.

I would get the Happ concave but I think they will be too long to fit in such a small enclosure. At worst it may only have around 4.5cm internal height.

Your responses have been a big help, thank you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:48:36 am by Erm »

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:10:55 pm »
28mm buttons in 30mm holes is fine, as the button lip/bezel is big enough to cover the hole completely. In fact, I always drill 30mm holes, as this gives a bit of play so the buttons can be fitted exactly in the right position.