Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiimote as light gun - Question [SOLVED]  (Read 9166 times)

JamesRIves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2018, 08:17:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wiimote as light gun - Question [SOLVED]
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:38:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Wiimote as a light gun.  It works fine, but I've noted that MAME treats both button A and button B on the wiimote as the same button (light gun button B0).  This makes it difficult to use games like Time Crisis, which requires one button to be assigned to the trigger and a second button to be assigned as an action button.

Other emulators seem to detect both buttons on the Wiimote appropriately, so I'm not sure why MAME doesn't.  Any suggestions?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:15:17 am by JamesRIves »

white_ghost

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:32:01 am
Re: Wiimote as light gun - Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 03:17:16 am »
hi,
maybe playing with the offscreen_reload option
++

JamesRIves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:30:11 am »
No, reloading is not a problem with this particular game.  The real arcade game requires you to push a pedal that brings you out of a crouch position.  This is required before you can engage your targets.  The pedal can be mapped to any key or button, but for some reason, MAME identifies both the A and B button on the Wiimote (as well as the C button on the Wii nunchuck) as a single light gun button.  I can't really understand why this would be the case since the dolphin bar sees the buttons as separate and distinct buttons.

Jim

JamesRIves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:06:17 am »
Just found this advice on another forum:

--------

Hi
Fix for trigger and A button both getting detected as BUTTON_0 problem as described here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/5v1xvj/getting_mayflash_dolphinbar_to_work_with_mame_as/
Dolphin Bar should be in mode 2
Just pop into mame.ini and set: lightgun 1
offscreen_reload 0
The offscreen_reload 0 is what fixes it...
I can now use the wiimote trigger as gun trigger in game, and the A button as reload in Time Crisis...

--------

So it appears that setting offscreen_reload to 0 will correct the problem.  Only issue is -- setting offscreen_reload to "1" is necessary for some games I utilize.

Jim

gutterstuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:08:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:53:20 am »
Hey Jim -- were you able to fix this?

Also, I'm curious about how you have your wiimote hooked up to MAME. Is it using the Dolphinbar? If so, do you notice that the bar's position on the top or bottom of the monitor causes the cursor to not align properly on your screen?

I have the same issue, and while I understand that it's a product of the technology and not a calibration problem, I'm wondering if you or anyone knows how I might solve this?

Is there a way to artificially offset where my cursor lands so that it appears dead on? 

Because calibration is always a pain, I'm surprised that both Touchmote and other softwares don't offer this option. My monitor is on a slant, so playing shooters without modifications is proving to be super difficult.

Thanks!

JamesRIves

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »
I won't get a chance to check out the suggested fix until tonight.  Will let you know.

Yes, I use a Dolphinbar, and I mounted it at the bottom of the monitor.  I don't believe there is a way to calibrate the Wiimotes.  Like yourself, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a third-party calibration solution.  I'm fortunate in that my set up works fairly well, although I have to adjust my physical position slightly at times.  From what I've been told, it would be difficult to get perfect performance from any of the new light guns that use sensor bars and emulate a mouse.  The old light guns produced years ago (Act Labs, etc.) were apparently better, but they used a different technology and they require a CRT monitor.   With that said, Aimtrak's light guns also utilize a sensor bar, but they can be calibrated, so you might want to research that option. 

Jim

gutterstuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:08:53 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »
I'll be sure to have a look and report back. I'm betting that somewhere and at some point, some Windows user has created an intermediary app that (like xpadder) gives you the freedom to adjust the results of how and where your windows cursor appears. If I can find a version of that that allows users to turn it on and off depending on need, then that would be a solution.

Thanks!

JamesRIves

• Offline Offline
Re: Wiimote as light gun - Question [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:17:22 am »
I confirmed (consistent with the post from the other forum) that changing offscreen_reload to "0" in mame.ini allows you to map other buttons on the wiimote. 

Jim