Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thrustmaster Brake Pedal breaks keyboard down button in MAME  (Read 5288 times)

damonmath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2019, 03:05:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thrustmaster Brake Pedal breaks keyboard down button in MAME
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »
Apologies in advance, I have not found a solution to this problem. Hoping others have solved this. I have a 2 pedal setup from Thrustmaster for a T150 steering wheel. The cheap ones, I have a 3 pedal set on order because of the problem I'm about to describe. In the Windows test tool for Thrustmaster T150 both pedals work as expected showing no pressure applied to pedals until pressed. Full press gives full press, and letting off the pedals restore pressure to 0. However in MAME, if I hit "tab" to configure inputs and press the brake pedal, the cursor scrolls infinitely down as if the keyboard down button is constantly pressed. To remedy this I must half press the brake pedal (setting the axis back to 0) so I can actually use the keyboard down key to navigate the UI to set other controls. I do not set the brake in MAME because it just causes weird problems being half pressed like this. So I shove cardboard under the pedal to half press it to stop the scrolling and just assign a brake to a digital button. Then never use brake in games cause it will brake to 100% always as the button is not analog.

Things I've tried:
Cracking open the pedal case and playing with the pedometer (sp?) this fixes it temporarily, but then jacks up PS4 or other games that are not MAME. I have tried playing with sensitivity in MAME. And even tried to configure it using a third party tool all to no avail.

My hope is that this is trivial, but if not I have a 3 pedal set on order that I hope will not suffer the same fate as I would love to be able to brake properly so I can finally get 1st place on Ace Driver. lol

Any help is super appreciated.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Thrustmaster Brake Pedal breaks keyboard down button in MAME
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:50 pm »
Just keep it half depressed whilst you're configuring all your other controls then, when it comes to actually configuring the brake, just depress it fully to get it to register and then tab out of the config menu and you should be able to play the game without issue.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:09 pm »
You can also edit the config files, in the cfg directory under your MAME directory. look for <rom>.cfg or whatever your rom is called, and open the file in notepad. You can add or remove binds as you need to, though you might have to play around to learn the format. I have a setup that has both pedlas permanently pressed, so each command binds to those two pedals plus whatever, and i go in and remove the pedals from each bind, if i need to.

white_ghost

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:49:20 am
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:18 am »
Hi,
Have you test to invert your axis in mame ? (in analog control)
And have you try to change your axis to negative or positive one ? (assign your axis multiple time, it's a cycle : 1st time : full axis, 2nd time : axis+ 3rd time : axis-)
hope this helps you
++

damonmath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:19 am »
Just keep it half depressed whilst you're configuring all your other controls then, when it comes to actually configuring the brake, just depress it fully to get it to register and then tab out of the config menu and you should be able to play the game without issue.

This actually works, but the pedal doesn't register in game until it's reaches that half way mark. It's also really annoying in the MAME input screen.

The reverse axis thing works for the joy 1 throttle for most of the MAME racing games I tested. Ace Driver is my primary test.

I won't touch the .cfg. Don't want to jack up my Hyperspin setup (it's awesome). I did have to change the deadzone for the steering wheel from .3 to .005 in the MAME.ini file. That helped tremendously. I wonder if the brake  pedal is in that file somewhere and I could change that setting to match my brake? I would just need to know what that setting is called and what to reset it to.

Thanks guys!!!

damonmath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
You know what I think I just realized thanks to MrThunderwing, that this is by design and you just have to work around the MAME UI issue. I have seen video where the brake pedal actually registers in the MAME UI as joy 1 brake instead of axis. My brake is always set to axis (even in the test tool, however the gas is set to joy 1 throttle) and as such have this issue because of the nature of how an axis works. Why it starts in the negative (key press down) may still be some .ini setting, but then that would affect all joy axis and not just the wheel... and I wouldn't want  to reset that and screw up other none steering wheel games.

Once the 3 pedal set gets here, I'll circle back and let you know if the issue persists. If anyone else has actually solved this or knows the reason why I'm having this issue in the first place, that would be great information to have as well.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:26:27 am »
If they are combined pedals, this video may help you...

damonmath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:27 am »
They are separate and show up as joy 1 throttle and joy 1 y-axis. In Windows the joy 1 y-axis (brake) shows a value of 0. When fully pressed it shows 3200+ (no idea what these values mean other than positive result when pressed). The throttle shows up as joy 1 throttle and also ranges from 0-3200+.

In MAME the brake shows a value of -3200+ at rest, 0 half pressed, and 3200+ when fully pressed.

It is driving me nuts, because I can literally crack open the pedals and roll back the little wheel next to the pedal and rest it to 0 for MAME. But then it screws up in windows and PS4 because now it shows up as half pressed at 1500+. So weird right?

EDIT: Wanted to mention that the joy 1 throttle (gas) shows up as 0 at rest and 3200+ when fully pressed in MAME and Windows. It is only the brake pedal that has this issue.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:12:57 am by damonmath »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
This isn't something you can fix the way you want it to be fixed.  Pedals are weird and they don't have any standardization.  Even worse, most programs, yes including mame aren't designed to work with pedals, because, again, pedals are weird.  A negative number at rest, 0 when half pressed and a positive number when fully pressed is perfectly normal for a lot of pedals.  I also got a laugh out of the "it'll mess it up for every other joystick game" comment.  You do know that you will have to do a custom config for virtually every single mame game right?  The misc buttons, shifters and pedals aren't standardized in mame and thus you will have to remap every single racer individually.  Sure you can probably get away with a unified mapping for the pedals, but since you'll absolutely have to remap the buttons for every game there isn't much point to it.

damonmath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »
Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear. This is normal in MAME.

Yes I understand your chuckle. I was referring to PS4 games, not other MAME games. Well aware of MAME and how/the need to configure inputs and analog controls. Just needed the reassurance that this is all normal. Weird, but normal. Just seems strange that the joy 1 throttle does not work this way, only the brake pedal.

I actually have most steering wheel games working (270 degree wheel), just not the brake pedal. Now that I know this is normal I will work around it and add the brake pedal back into the inputs. My 3 pedal setup and shifter came today, so I'll replace the 2 pedal setup with those items.

I also have a tankstick with trackball and a spinner (Turbo Twist 2 with a 5" wheel) for games like tempest and All Points Bulletin. Even have an aimtrak light gun for gun games as well. It's a fun little Hyperspin setup. Any pointers for Spy Hunter steering would be appreciated though. It doesn't like the 270 wheel (T150) maybe turn the sensitivity all the way up? Or just use the joystick?

Thank you again Howard_Casto!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:23:13 pm by damonmath »

damonmath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:10 am »
UPDATE: Installed the 3 pedal set, same issue with the brake. I did find out that if you set the brake last, then you don't have to hold the pedal down at all. The scrolling only occurs once you physically touch the brake. The TH8A shifter however DOES NOT work with the T150 base plug for either PC or PS4. Makes me wonder why they even have a port for it on the back of the steering wheel. It DOES work on PS4 as a separate USB connection to player 2... however, it shows up as joy 1 on PC and bumps the steering wheel to joy 2 rendering it useless on PC. If anyone has a fix or knows the cause, again that would be greatly appreciated. Maybe plug the shifter in after the steering wheel has already been in use as joy 1? Will try this tonight sometime.

All that said, I am enjoying the PS4 GT Sport at the moment and wondering if upgrading to a T300RS would help with FFB in curves where the tires break loose? It seems that the 1nb of force for everything makes it difficult if not impossible to reliably react to FFB under certain driving conditions on a T150. Regardless, my times have dropped and I'm learning how to drive for the first time it seems. SUPER FUN!!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:19:20 am by damonmath »