Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ian's Black Rose with some Mods  (Read 10036 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Ian's Black Rose with some Mods
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:49:58 am »
So I am new to the pinball scene, it definitely produces it's own unique challenges to maintain and to fix when small things arise from time to time. But it has been a GREAT addition to my basement bar. It easily gets played more than any of my other machines (I acutally feel bad so I play them even more now). Right now in the basement (space is always an issue since this is a Bar first and an Arcade second) I have an upright Outrun, Galaxian, Mame machine, cocktail Time Pilots and now a Black Rose pinball.

Now purists tend to not care about blinging out a pinball, but my basement is dark guys. It was very hard to see the play-field. So I went from incandescent bulbs to LEDS. This was a big plus in 3 ways. First it got me to get pretty up close and personal with the machine, learn how it is set up mechanically and electrically. It was a great learning experience. Second, replacing all bulbs made it an easy way to find out which bulbs where burned up. So right there I was given more light than before. And lastly it helped me illuminate and get creative with color leds (however I used color leds sparingly as I did not want the thing to look too gaudy).

Had to replace all of the ribbon cables to the Dot Matrix to clear up the board.

Mirrored sides, went on okay... I find that Black Rose doesn't seem to really fit anything "standard" when it comes to Bally/Williams aftermarket products but I figured it out! And yep... I added the LED Shark. Why not?

Pinstadium Lights, was the best option to light up the playfield, it was pricey, but I figure I could add a few hundred bucks to my selling price if I ever want to sell the thing, plus It's easily removable in case the next owner doesn't want them.

Pinstadium actually is controlled by an app for your smart phone. My pictures came out very blue, however you can adjust it to any color you want, adjust the brightness, etc. It really is incredible piece of tech! Two RGB strips are attached to the top sides by a magnetic strip that has an adhesive backing. You attach one set of wires to the GI and one to the Flashers. And that is it! finished!

Any pinheads interested to learn more about the Pinstadium lights you can check out this video!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Ian's Black Rose with some Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »
I plan on picking up a pin at the MGC in April. I will be joining the dark side as well.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:09:54 pm »
Looks good. I’ll never be a pinhead, but I can appreciate a nice looking machine.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:45:45 pm »
That turned out real nice.  I'm getting a pin this year as well and would like to try some similar mods.   :cheers:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:08:54 pm »
There have been a lot of advancements made in terms of Leds, I wouldn't think there is much stigma tied to them anymore, especially given the fact incandescent will burn up and warp some hard to find plastics.
 "Easily reversible for the next owner" I have to be amused ;D, Beings how that's your first, odds are you will have it forever. Jenn still has her Monte Carlo.
Those other machines you have add up to quite the collection, Diddnt realize you had so many. but seems they have a good home..... And finally the pin That's just AWESOME, (thanks for the pics) ;)

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:10:52 pm »
Looks good. I’ll never be a pinhead, but I can appreciate a nice looking machine.

Only pinball is real.
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:14:41 pm »

Only pinball is real.

You can’t play BIDEO GAMEZ on a pin, my brother.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 08:42:28 am »
Looks good, Ian! Never played black rose, but I can get behind the look and feel of that. Love the LEDs :cheers:

And GO PACK, GO!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:07:13 pm »
  I have never even seen one, It does appear to have a pretty busy PF, and would venture to guess it plays really fast (and Jenn could use some of those parts  ::))....Apparently they made 3746 machines however.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:34 pm »
Looks good, Ian! Never played black rose, but I can get behind the look and feel of that. Love the LEDs :cheers:

And GO PACK, GO!

Black Rose I think is a very underrated Pin. It has a great theme and some pretty decent names credited to it (John Trudeau). It seems only 3700 were produced. Problem was that this was released the same time as the Adams Family pin. And of course every operator wanted the Adams Family over a no name pirate pin. And Go Pack!

I have never even seen one, It does appear to have a pretty busy PF, and would venture to guess it plays really fast (and Jenn could use some of those parts  ::))....Apparently they made 3746 machines however.

It really isn't too crazy, especially when compared to the new stuff coming out. It has three ramps, one of which (Davy Jones Locker) lifts up and reveals a hole which leads the ball down a subway into the cannon. The Cannon then has a pretty decent motor in it that makes it sway back and forth. You then hit the fire button and it launches the ball. It's very fun, but the cannon has it's own issues since the circular grooves around the cannon can cause the ball to do funny things just before the flippers. Leveling the cannon is a ---smurfette---, and I have yet to try. Otherwise it really is an easy to play understandable game that shoots for high scores and has three fun mini games/video modes.

Everyone has a blast with it. Thanks guys for the posts and the interest!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 05:40:34 am »
That looks like a nice pin. I really want to buy a pin, but I have this problem with buying arcade machines. I think I need professional help.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 09:00:29 am »
That looks like a nice pin. I really want to buy a pin, but I have this problem with buying arcade machines. I think I need professional help.

I am lucky that I have limited room, but my buddy got into the hobby and he keeps buying machines, and I hunt for them. This way I can find cool machines and he can buy them and I come over to play them. Perfect scenario. lol

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 09:02:46 am »

I am lucky that I have limited room, but my buddy got into the hobby and he keeps buying machines, and I hunt for them. This way I can find cool machines and he can buy them and I come over to play them. Perfect scenario. lol
An arcade game sugar daddy. Why didn't I think of that?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 05:22:46 pm »

An arcade game sugar daddy. Why didn't I think of that?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yep.. ha ha ha. Right now he has a Galaxian Cocktail, Sega Turbo, AFter Burner, Last Action Hero Pin, Mame,  and he just sold a Pacman/Galaga Aniversary.