Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2018: The year of no new innovations?  (Read 31924 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:54:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: 2018: The year of no new innovations?
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2018, 08:21:07 pm »
Shouldn't you have started a separate topic about how you don't like me? Geez Drake way to derail a thread.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2018, 08:27:39 pm »
Mike, who says I don't like you? Why are suggesting I start a thread based on a lie?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:30:05 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2018, 08:33:55 pm »
Mike got set off because Haze made a very underhanded comment regarding the members of this board in this thread. Haze has been doing that in other threads.

I have a lot of respect for Haze. But I’m with MikeA, there’s no need to repeatedly look down at the members here.

Was this the very underhanded comment?  It may be a little passive aggressive but he is correct. 

However I'm already aware that a good number of the other innovative things we've been doing recently are of no interest to people here because they don't fit the mold of what they'd like to see.

This is harsh?  Or did I miss something?

I musta missed it, too.

To be clear I'm not defending Haze here.  I'm just trying to drill down into a very recent example to try and understand this better.

Totally agree.

Yots, I'm sorry man. There is literally name calling going on in this thread and you are trying to pull off some high road protect-the-community response... not buying it.

It's an online forum, of course there are going to be some negative comments. What's happened here happens on other forums, there is a clique of folks who can be jerks and then back each other up. To act like it doesn't happen, well that just makes you look silly.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2018, 08:36:04 pm »
You a judge now?

Mamey Judge since 2007.

I'll be back in January to officially claim 2018 as the year of no innovactions.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2018, 08:47:51 pm »
Mike got set off because Haze made a very underhanded comment regarding the members of this board in this thread. Haze has been doing that in other threads.

I have a lot of respect for Haze. But I’m with MikeA, there’s no need to repeatedly look down at the members here.

Was this the very underhanded comment?  It may be a little passive aggressive but he is correct. 

However I'm already aware that a good number of the other innovative things we've been doing recently are of no interest to people here because they don't fit the mold of what they'd like to see.

I musta missed it, too.

To be clear I'm not defending Haze here.  I'm just trying to drill down into a very recent example to try and understand this better.

Totally agree.

Yots, I'm sorry man. There is literally name calling going on in this thread and you are trying to pull off some high road protect-the-community response... not buying it.

It's an online forum, of course there are going to be some negative comments. What's happened here happens on other forums, there is a clique of folks who can be jerks and then back each other up. To act like it doesn't happen, well that just makes you look silly.

That’s cool, you don’t have to believe me. It doesn’t matter to me one way or another.

I have no problem with people being blunt. Sugarcoating things doesn’t do anyone any good. Can guys be asses about it? Sure. That doesn’t mean they’re doing it to be mean or a bully. Was I being a bully to Fish Boy? He thought I was. It’s all in perception.

But I stand by my support of Mike. There’s no need to denigrate MAME users because we don’t get it, dude. You can be fine with that, it’s your call.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2018, 08:48:41 pm »
Whens the last time some one won a MAMEY?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:54:45 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:17 pm »
Is there a Mamey for most evil henchman? I really think I have a shot.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2018, 09:04:57 pm »
Whens the last time some one won a MAMEY?

Mameys are given for innovation, so...  ;)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2018, 09:08:09 pm »

I musta missed it, too.

Totally agree.

That’s cool, you don’t have to believe me. It doesn’t matter to me one way or another.

I have no problem with people being blunt. Sugarcoating things doesn’t do anyone any good. Can guys be asses about it? Sure. That doesn’t mean they’re doing it to be mean or a bully. Was I being a bully to Fish Boy? He thought I was. It’s all in perception.

But I stand by my support of Mike. There’s no need to denigrate MAME users because we don’t get it, dude. You can be fine with that, it’s your call.

Just to be clear, it's ok to be blunt, unless Haze says something that you perceive to be not ok, than it's ok to be a jerk. The rules on this forum really need to be updated.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2018, 09:10:53 pm »

I musta missed it, too.

Totally agree.

Just to be clear, it's ok to be blunt, unless Haze says something that you perceive to be not ok, than it's ok to be a jerk. The rules on this forum really need to be updated.

Haze gave it to the group, MikeA gave it back. Maybe you enjoy people speaking in a passive aggressive manner toward you. Everyone has their thing.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2018, 09:13:56 pm »
Haze gave it to the group, MikeA gave it back. Maybe you enjoy people speaking in a passive aggressive manner toward you. Everyone has their thing.
Don't think that went unappreciated!
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2018, 09:16:37 pm »
I pop in from time to time to see if anyone is making anything interesting.  Last one that I thought was cool was Barrel of Kong....  How long ago was that?  ???

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »
Don't think that went unappreciated!

Yeah, don’t be patronizing. I’m sure some people, maybe even most people don’t care. Whatever.

Once ZapCon is over, I think it might be time to say sayonara. Clearly I don’t have anything to offer this community anymore.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2018, 09:20:04 pm »
I pop in from time to time to see if anyone is making anything interesting.  Last one that I thought was cool was Barrel of Kong....  How long ago was that?  ???

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2018, 09:21:12 pm »
Once ZapCon is over, I think it might be time to say sayonara. Clearly I don’t have anything to offer this community anymore.

Fish much?

Seriously though, no one wants that.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2018, 09:24:12 pm »
Some of you guys can't be tactful when giving feedback, you give opinion as if it's fact, you belittle, and you gang up. Of course the new user is going to leave. Then you blame them for being weak or whatever. I'm totally ok with the veterans biting their lip.
I think it’s the opposite on average. There are plenty of threads that old members are straightforward with their constructive criticisms, that in a majority of cases help the projects they’re commenting on. I’d link you examples out of the 10’s of 100’s of posts I can search through, but I can’t be bothered so you’ll have to take my word for it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2018, 09:25:48 pm »

Fish much?

Seriously though, no one wants that.

Fish? Not since 2015.

To be honest, it’s been in the back my mind for a while now. It’s not a “Waaaaa, leaving forever” flame out kind of thing, I just think this hobby is evolving into a direction that doesn’t suit my tastes. That’s all. You can call me that dirty “Purist”, but I grew up with arcade machines and I have a certain respect and mindset towards them. If this hobby is going in a different direction, so be it. It’s been good to me, I’ve made a lot of friends, and I learned a hell of a lot about some things. I’ll always be grateful, I just don’t want to be that stick in the mud.

I agree with your original premise, Lew. And I think that’s part of my problem.

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:01 pm
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2018, 09:53:00 pm »
Give me a break. Its not always about "innovation" its also about art, craftsmanship, style and imagination. Just because nobody is doing it now doesn't mean there won't be a great project right around the corner.

+1

I think I’ve been on BYOAC pretty much since the beginning of the site, though I lurked at first for years. Back then innovation meant using something other than contact paper for a CPO. When I was in the thick of my own project (and getting the most personally out of the site) I remember someone posting a similar question about innovation being over. IIRC that was long before dynamic marquees, LED lighting, tabletop barcades, virtual pinball tables, anything from OND, etc.

I guess we all have different reasons for checking in here. Innovation itself has never really been a big one for me though. I’ve always been drawn here to see a concept well executed, regardless of the ground it breaks. One of my favorites was AmericanAce, which didn’t really break any ground technologically, but was massively inspiring.  It felt somehow instantly nostalgic, which I guess is another draw for me. I do remember having my mind blown by that Roswell project and later by 1Up’s Pacmamea many years ago, more recently by ONDs work and by Mimic. But even then, their innovations weren’t really what interested me so much as their overall production value and the nostalgic feeling they provoked.

:dunno
Project mega thread HERE