Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2018: The year of no new innovations?  (Read 31947 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: 2018: The year of no new innovations?
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2018, 09:11:02 am »
Well there have been plenty of innovations in the Reverse Engineering Hardware / Software side of things, leading to better emulation.

However I'm already aware that a good number of the other innovative things we've been doing recently are of no interest to people here because they don't fit the mold of what they'd like to see.

The world doesn't revolve around you?  Pretty sure the purpose of this thread is cabinet building innovations.
Awesome passive aggressive line at the end though. 
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2018, 09:15:35 am »
It would be pretty cool if someone could figure out a way to have dynamic side art....assuming there is enough artwork assets.

That shouldn't be hard to do. If you can do a dynamic marquee, you can do dynamic side art. You'd have to build the cabinet sides like giant bezels, install two big TVs behind them, connect those to a second graphics card and use/write a program to display the side art depending on which game is running.

Anybody done it?

Kind of.

This guy started to.

He designed it and started fabrication, but vanished after a while.  Which is a shame, cause I wanted to give him props for going further than I did in pursuit of the chameleon.

Project isn't dead...it's just in storage. Wife and I sold our house and built our own last year, just need to finish garage this summer and all projects including the CNC will be back online. Pretty much visit the site every day, just haven't had a reason to post anything.

Thanks for the bump though :cheers:

Good to hear from you, brother! Hope you make your way down south in the next year or two!!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Haze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2018, 10:01:38 am »
Well there have been plenty of innovations in the Reverse Engineering Hardware / Software side of things, leading to better emulation.

However I'm already aware that a good number of the other innovative things we've been doing recently are of no interest to people here because they don't fit the mold of what they'd like to see.

The world doesn't revolve around you?  Pretty sure the purpose of this thread is cabinet building innovations.
Awesome passive aggressive line at the end though.

The tone has become necessary when dealing with this place I'm afraid, which is why I don't post much anymore, it's necessary to defend my position before the trolling starts.

Anyway, I'd consider the software to be an important part of the cabinet building, can't build a car without an engine and all that.  The software is better than ever, so even if on the outside you're not seeing much change, there are plenty of innovations happening with the internals.  Something built today with current knowledge, hardware and software is objectively better than something built last year, so IMHO that means there's still innovation going on.

The thread seemed a bit negative, so I was trying to add something positive to it.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:04:20 am by Haze »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2018, 10:05:23 am »
Because we teased you 10 years ago about your Donkey Kong innovations requiring a super computer to run?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2018, 10:14:13 am »

I always feel honored when you lower yourself to grace us with your presence. Please oh great one, give us another chance to be dazzled by your greatness. We will try not to let you down again.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2018, 11:03:41 am »
yep, pretty much the standard of responses I expected here.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:57 am »
Pretty much the standard of response I expect from you. You are an arrogant jerk.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:00 pm »

Anyway, I'd consider the software to be an important part of the cabinet building, can't build a car without an engine and all that. 
More like "stolen engine".

MAME innovation doesn't matter to all of us. Not all of us care to emulate. I personally haven't emulated in a while now, all of my cabinets have legit hardware in them and will continue to do so. I'd rather use an original hardware + multi-cart solution for my MAME replacement, rather than having to futz with an FE, game list and Emulator settings just to get < 100% accuracy and input lag issues.

That being said, this thread is about cabinet innovations. You can probably start a thread that deals with software innovations, but I bet that would be a conversation by yourself.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2018, 02:56:47 pm »
yep, pretty much the standard of responses I expected here.

Mine was but a friendly jab at the thread derailment, I've defended you more than probably any other member of this board, but the changes other people have made to MAME don't really have a bearing on this thread. And before anyone could possibly have a nice retort to your post, you throw up this dismissive gem "However I'm already aware that a good number of the other innovative things we've been doing recently are of no interest to people here because they don't fit the mold of what they'd like to see."

So you were the pre-emptive --missioncontrol-- in this instance. I personally don't give a ---fudgesicle--- about MAME or MESS because I don't really use emulation anymore (SNES mini isn't MAME!). All of my cabinets run legit hardware without emulation, the exception being the cab running Open Pandora's Box that I'm just building as trade bait towards something I want.

I barely play any games anymore. I've been slowly thinning out my collection of vids, and increasing pins, but my heart hasn't been in it in a while, so the pins will probably get ousted soon too. Fun while it lasted though!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2018, 03:20:09 pm »
Pretty much the standard of response I expect from you. You are an arrogant jerk.
  Seems a bit harsh man,  He makes a good point, A cab without software is useless, and is part of a build, and apparently had a good year as far as innovation goes.... However this thread has nothing to do with creative concepts as such, it is more like a mind rape of ideas, under the pretense of  justification.... Dance my little puppets Dance.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2018, 03:31:55 pm »
His comments are more harsh than mine. He is just a weasel about it. He makes little pathetic jabs at our community every time he posts.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2018, 04:19:38 pm »
Seems a bit harsh man,  He makes a good point, A cab without software is useless, and is part of a build, and apparently had a good year as far as innovation goes.... However this thread has nothing to do with creative concepts as such, it is more like a mind rape of ideas, under the pretense of  justification.... Dance my little puppets Dance.

A cab without software? Sure if you mean the games. If you mean MAME, then no. There are a ton of arcade games you can play with loaders and the like without MAME. There's also the fact you can build a cab and use real hardware too. I kinda wish we had more builds like Haruman's Reunion that run on real hardware.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2018, 04:19:45 pm »

This is harsh?  Or did I miss something?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »

I musta missed it, too.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2018, 04:29:36 pm »
Okay. Guess I misread the situation.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:39:24 pm by Mike A »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2018, 04:52:33 pm »
ha ha ha ha ha ha  :laugh2:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2018, 05:06:05 pm »

You’re not the harsh one, bro

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2018, 05:11:02 pm »

You’re not the harsh one, bro

Calling Haze a weasel and an arrogant jerk seems a bit harsh to me.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2018, 05:15:05 pm »
I guess you haven't read too many of his posts.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2018, 06:12:03 pm »
I've read plenty of his posts Mike, and unfortunately, plenty of yours. I'm guessing you aren't as big of a weenie in real life, but who knows. You're kinda like a Malenko sidekick or something.

Unfortunately I think a lot of vets here faded out or just bite their lip because if they are honest, they get called snobby elitist purists.

Some of you guys can't be tactful when giving feedback, you give opinion as if it's fact, you belittle, and you gang up. Of course the new user is going to leave. Then you blame them for being weak or whatever. I'm totally ok with the veterans biting their lip.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »
It would be pretty cool if someone could figure out a way to have dynamic side art....assuming there is enough artwork assets.

That shouldn't be hard to do. If you can do a dynamic marquee, you can do dynamic side art. You'd have to build the cabinet sides like giant bezels, install two big TVs behind them, connect those to a second graphics card and use/write a program to display the side art depending on which game is running.

Anybody done it?

Kind of.

This guy started to.

He designed it and started fabrication, but vanished after a while.  Which is a shame, cause I wanted to give him props for going further than I did in pursuit of the chameleon.

Project isn't dead...it's just in storage. Wife and I sold our house and built our own last year, just need to finish garage this summer and all projects including the CNC will be back online. Pretty much visit the site every day, just haven't had a reason to post anything.

Thanks for the bump though :cheers:

Good to hear from you, brother! Hope you make your way down south in the next year or two!!

You too Yots...

The Zapcon trip is still one of the best trips we ever did and have every intentions of coming back.

Thanks

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2018, 06:24:13 pm »
I've read plenty of his posts Mike, and unfortunately, plenty of yours. I'm guessing you aren't as big of a weenie in real life, but who knows. You're kinda like a Malenko sidekick or something.

Unfortunately I think a lot of vets here faded out or just bite their lip because if they are honest, they get called snobby elitist purists.

Some of you guys can't be tactful when giving feedback, you give opinion as if it's fact, you belittle, and you gang up. Of course the new user is going to leave. Then you blame them for being weak or whatever. I'm totally ok with the veterans biting their lip.

Give me an example of tactful, useful feedback. Then give me an example of it as belittling. I’m curious.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2018, 06:41:30 pm »
Is this because I prefer CRTs?

DrunkPanda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2018, 06:18:58 am
  • Kung Brew Panda
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2018, 07:26:49 pm »

A cab without software? Sure if you mean the games. If you mean MAME, then no. There are a ton of arcade games you can play with loaders and the like without MAME. There's also the fact you can build a cab and use real hardware too. I kinda wish we had more builds like Haruman's Reunion that run on real hardware.

I've got real hardware... I've got a huge TV... I've got good buttons/joysticks/trackball/etc... and a big budget... what you guys want to see? The goal currently is a steam machine+mame (Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, Killer Instinct 2017, Cuphead, Redout, Mutant Football League, NBA Playgrounds, Brawlhalla, Jamestown, Guns Gore and Cannoli, TMNT: Portal Power, Spelunky, etc... + some classics)... I'm not gonna make it play everything but I do have a decent game list... need cab design ideas right now...

Tell me what you want you guys want to see... I'm open to ideas and shaped everything on the front-end, cab design, or software side... but I work with C++, C Sharp, Python, VB Programmer, and am head IT director for my company... Used to do graphic design, and have an engineering background so I'm good with Solidworks/Inventor... I'm doing the software/wiring side.... my buddy is doing the woodworking

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2018, 07:29:37 pm »

Give me an example of tactful, useful feedback. Then give me an example of it as belittling. I’m curious.

So, you want me to go find threads with useful comments and then threads where the comments are offensive. lol.  ::) yeah, let me just go research 10's upon 10's of threads till I find one where someone is offended because the old geezer crew goes over the top to criticize their work. If there were no threads like that, the guys here wouldn't have to justify their actions by saying "Gold Star for everyone" and "Safe Spaces".

This place can be hostile. I've seen it, you've seen it. I don't have to find threads so they can be graded.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2018, 07:31:01 pm »
Mutant Football League

If you like Mutant league football and or mutant league hockey, you're ok in my book.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2018, 07:34:15 pm »

So, you want me to go find threads with useful comments and then threads where the comments are offensive. lol.  ::) yeah, let me just go research 10's upon 10's of threads till I find one where someone is offended because the old geezer crew goes over the top to criticize their work. If there were no threads like that, the guys here wouldn't have to justify their actions by saying "Gold Star for everyone" and "Safe Spaces".

This place can be hostile. I've seen it, you've seen it. I don't have to find threads so they can be graded.

So who’s in the old geezer crew?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2018, 07:36:02 pm »
You a lawyer now?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2018, 07:43:20 pm »
You a judge now?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2018, 07:44:15 pm »
You a lawyer now?

No, you’re just making insinuations that there are people here who don’t like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, and I’m curious to know who you think goes out of their way to belittle and be mean to people for the sake of doin so. Simple questions. I want to see what, in your opinion, constructive critical feedback looks like and see if it matches up with what I think it looks like. I want to see who this crew of big fat meanies are and see if I agree with your assessment. There are some guys who I think are too blunt, sure, but I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with the point of the criticism. So show me a good, constructive bit of feedback that takes something somebody did and tells them they did it wrong.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2018, 07:57:22 pm »

Did the guy with the aquarium ever come back?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »
Yots I'm not being a troll here.  I'm actually really curious.  You don't think Mike was a bit harsh here?  To the point where you even making a post telling him he wasn't harsh?

Point being - you are considered a leader here.  Your opinion matters.  When you float into a thread and make behavior like this seem okay it sets a tone whether you mean it to or not.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2018, 08:01:54 pm »
Mike got set off because Haze made a very underhanded comment regarding the members of this board in this thread. Haze has been doing that in other threads.

I have a lot of respect for Haze. But I’m with MikeA, there’s no need to repeatedly look down at the members here.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2018, 08:04:05 pm »
Point being - you are considered a leader here.

I'm obviously a leader, because I have sidekicks.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:08 pm »
I was beginning to think I was the only one who can read subtext around here. His contempt for this community is so obvious it doesn't qualify as subtext. I respect your opinion wp34, but I have to call it like I see it in this case.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2018, 08:08:23 pm »
Malenko, can I be a henchman rather than a sidekick?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2018, 08:12:43 pm »
I was beginning to think I was the only one who can read subtext around here. His contempt for this community is so obvious it doesn't qualify as subtext. I respect your opinion wp34, but I have to call it like I see it in this case.

I know he’s gotten into with Howard specifically, but that’s not representative of the community at large. And I’m tired of seeing this specific community get denigrated. I see it at KLOV, I hear it from other collectors. We don’t need that kind of scorn.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:00 pm »
Mike got set off because Haze made a very underhanded comment regarding the members of this board in this thread. Haze has been doing that in other threads.

I have a lot of respect for Haze. But I’m with MikeA, there’s no need to repeatedly look down at the members here.

Was this the very underhanded comment?  It may be a little passive aggressive but he is correct. 

I musta missed it, too.

To be clear I'm not defending Haze here.  I'm just trying to drill down into a very recent example to try and understand this better.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:06 pm »
At least it took a while to devolve into name-calling based on previous threads this time out. Somebody else up-thread was concerned about staying on topic. I'm sure he's a busy man, so I'll take up his slack this time: if you want to talk about what a jerk and a weasel you think Haze is, please start another thread for it. This thread is about hardware innovation.

Speaking of hardware innovation, Mike, do you even realize how sad your earlier exchange was? You called someone names, Yots said something you interpreted to mean that Yots was saying you were in the wrong, so you pulled back and sounded a bit repentant, but then Yots corrected you that the "wrongness" wasn't aimed at you, and that allowed you to revert to your earlier stance.  The power Yots has! Please use it responsibly, brother.

Scratch that, Yots. Play these guys like monkeys on purpose.  It's more fun that way. Seriously Mike, I'm pretty sure you've been accepted into the... tribe by now. No Need to be such a zealous sycophant.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:40:21 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:02 pm »
At least it took a while to devolve into name-calling based on previous threads this time out. Somebody else up-thread was concerned about staying on topic. I'm sure he's a busy man, so I'll take up his slack this time: if you want to talk about what a jerk and a weasel you think Haze is, please start another thread for it. This thread is about hardware innovation.

Speaking of hardware innovation, Mike, do you even realize how sad your earlier exchange was? You called someone names, Yots said something you interpreted to mean that Yots was saying you were in the wrong, so you pulled back and sounded a bit repentant, but then Yots corrected you that the "wrongness" wasn't aimed at you, and then you went back to your earlier stance.  The power Yots has! Please use it responsibly, brother.

Scratch that, Yots. Play these guys like monkeys on purpose.  It's more fun that way.

C’mon Drake, we’ve been homies lately. Let’s not go there.