Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2018: The year of no new innovations?  (Read 31625 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: 2018: The year of no new innovations?
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2018, 09:47:16 am »
What would we tell someone returning from 2014 wanting to know what they can incorporate into their cabinet?

Remember the dream of a dynamic marquee?  It is viable now if you want to spend the money.

Want a modern rubber grommet leaf replacement for the Wico?  Check out the Dominex8.

Remember how hard it was to set up Hyperspin?  Check out AttractMode.

GroovyMame now works with Windows 7.

Do you want to repro a classic cabinet? There is an awesome site with tons of detailed plans.  https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/

I'm sure there are others.  Not earth shattering but our hobby is pretty mature at this point and innovation is going to be incremental.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2018, 10:16:40 am »
IF there were still ground breaking advancements to be made in the Hobby - The companies that built and sold arcade games would still be in the arcade business making and selling them - the Arcade industry died because it reached a point where there were no longer major advances that kept enough people going to the arcade to pay the bills, and new methods of playing the games had come along (ie. TVs, Cellphones, consoles,etc.) and people moved on to playing different types of games ( Online Multiplayer, Ticket redemption machines) rather than Putting Quarters ( Dollars )  into an arcade game that lasted a few minutes before killing you off so you'd put another Dollar in.

If the Arcade gaming Industry itself died out there is no reason to think that after a decade or 2 the home building scene wouldn't reach the same point. Where all the achievements of the industry were duplicated and the point of having new and ground breaking achievements had passed. But that still doesn't mean it can't be a fun and entertaining Hobby !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:18:22 am by JDFan »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »
But that still doesn't mean it can't be a fun and entertaining Hobby !

For sure. I think that's what some folks are getting worked up about. I'm not saying you can't have fun. lol

When it's new, it's all innovative. I built a retropie a while back and played some SNES games. I marveled at the simplicity, cost and end result. -

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:07:12 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »
It's not about designing some new art to wrap a cab in, or putting some other cosmetic change. It's about hurdles left to break down.

It would be pretty cool if someone could figure out a way to have dynamic side art....assuming there is enough artwork assets.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:20:22 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2018, 04:29:59 pm »
It would be pretty cool if someone could figure out a way to have dynamic side art....assuming there is enough artwork assets.

That shouldn't be hard to do. If you can do a dynamic marquee, you can do dynamic side art. You'd have to build the cabinet sides like giant bezels, install two big TVs behind them, connect those to a second graphics card and use/write a program to display the side art depending on which game is running.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2018, 04:36:29 pm »

That shouldn't be hard to do. If you can do a dynamic marquee, you can do dynamic side art. You'd have to build the cabinet sides like giant bezels, install two big TVs behind them, connect those to a second graphics card and use/write a program to display the side art depending on which game is running.
Anybody done it?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2018, 04:53:36 pm »
Years ago, Griff had an elaborate set up with short throw projectors and leotards for cabinet sides...
%Bartop

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:39 pm »
If anyone is thinking about powder coating at home by cutting apart two toaster ovens and bolting them together... Just don't. :cheers:

Actually... I think I may have found the cause of the apparent lack of innovation... Griff left. That guy had the craziest ideas and pockets deep enough to do it anyway.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:03:29 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2018, 05:37:47 pm »
A couple years ago, I borrowed PBJ's idea and put a couple of those projection globe things that rotate and they sell around Christmas time onto the back of the arcade. It makes a pretty cool effect. Innovation? No, but pretty cool to enhance the mood.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:24 pm »
Years ago, Griff had an elaborate set up with short throw projectors and leotards for cabinet sides...

Are the art assets available somewhere?  I’ve picked up the Marquees but hadn’t seen sides.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2018, 07:39:02 pm »
If anyone is thinking about powder coating at home by cutting apart two toaster ovens and bolting them together... Just don't. :cheers:

Actually... I think I may have found the cause of the apparent lack of innovation... Griff left. That guy had the craziest ideas and pockets deep enough to do it anyway.
   Oh Yes....How that was such a fun idea, Even today I sometimes contemplate an alternative on that one using kitchen ovens.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:31:38 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »

Are the art assets available somewhere?  I’ve picked up the Marquees but hadn’t seen sides.

It wasn’t feasible and didn’t work right. And it was for a frankenpin.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2018, 07:53:22 pm »

Anybody done it?

Kind of.

This guy started to.

He designed it and started fabrication, but vanished after a while.  Which is a shame, cause I wanted to give him props for going further than I did in pursuit of the chameleon.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2018, 08:19:01 pm »

Anybody done it?

Kind of.

This guy started to.

He designed it and started fabrication, but vanished after a while.  Which is a shame, cause I wanted to give him props for going further than I did in pursuit of the chameleon.

I’d love to see Mimic with Dynamic sides, seems like the short throw projector idea should work mounted to the back, would be very interesting to see someone take that on.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2018, 08:26:15 pm »

You just need to learn to channel your inner Kirk more.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2018, 10:04:35 pm »
Arright, I've got an innovation.  I'm not going to build it, but I'm going to throw it in here, in the spirit of there still being ideas.

CRT monitor, LCD dynamic bezel art around it, same cabinet.

How:

Some cabinets had the CRT firing against a mirror to make it look floaty and further back, right?

So, you make that mirror semisilvered, or just a sheet of glass.  You do a Pepper's Ghost setup, like Kosmic Krooz'r used to hide a plastic model in the playfield.

The CRT - with all the CRT side effects you know and love - is bouncing off the mirror.  An LCD, showing only the bezel art and a black square in the region of the CRT image, is behind the mirror. 

(Or flip it around if you really prefer - the CRT is the straight shot, the LCD is the bounce.  But the LCD can be flatter, so I favor it being the straight-through for packaging reasons - cabinets are taller than they are deep, you have more room going down than back.)

As long as it's the same distance to each screen, they'll track each other right - and if they DON'T track each other right, hey, you're used to looking through a bezel at a more distant CRT anyway, that might just look *better* when the two images parallax against each other when your head moves.

Somebody else can go build it.  I'm not in love with CRTs and I'm busy.   ;D

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:43:03 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2018, 10:07:45 pm »
That’s....actually not a bad idea.

A couple years ago, I borrowed PBJ's idea and put a couple of those projection globe things that rotate and they sell around Christmas time onto the back of the arcade. It makes a pretty cool effect.

That warms my heart.  My first one burnt out, I used a soldering iron to cut up the casing... and it slipped and now I have a big scar on my hand.   :timebomb:  I do have plans for the motor out of it, though.  I recently picked up 2 more of those lights from Lowe’s for like $5 and have them tucked away.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:17 pm »

But what do we do about the depth of my pockets?
%Bartop

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2018, 10:35:36 pm »

Have you tried cutting the bottoms out of them? Then your pockets are infinitely deep.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2018, 10:44:30 pm »

You're not paying attention, man!  Mirror, 45' angle.  They'll look twice as deep.

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 11:05:40 pm
  • NES Fanatic
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2018, 01:16:09 pm »
There is something I'd love to see (or someone point me to it if it's already done) a second screen for my arcade machine - small screen, maybe powered by a Pi.  Shows the current running game controls, or game info.  Maybe touch screen with ability to change game settings, quick to main menu, etc. 

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2018, 02:48:45 pm »
There is something I'd love to see (or someone point me to it if it's already done) a second screen for my arcade machine - small screen, maybe powered by a Pi.  Shows the current running game controls, or game info.  Maybe touch screen with ability to change game settings, quick to main menu, etc.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138229.msg1427560.html

But I'm pretty sure there are more...

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2018, 08:23:19 pm »

I was just going to use the antique range my ex-wife left in my basement. I guess it was her grandma's but tell me more about the dual toaster ovens...

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2018, 08:31:34 pm »
    If memory serves.... It was to small to be practical, and the heat was inconsistent, Fun idea, just needed bigger, or more reliable ovens.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2018, 08:44:46 pm »

Anybody done it?

Kind of.

This guy started to.

I’d love to see Mimic with Dynamic sides, seems like the short throw projector idea should work mounted to the back, would be very interesting to see someone take that on.

You would need a way to split the image and reverse one or two mirrors at 45 degree's with the edges touching and projecting the same image side by side except one is reversed.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2018, 06:20:26 am »
Reading this thread, I see why innovation is dead. Everyone is missing the boat on what innovation is. No offense, but we used to be in a world where people would line up to be a part of project that benefitted the community. Databases, 3rd party tools, group buys, art restoration projects, product testing, detailing builds and posing real questions for the community to troubleshoot problems. Some glimmers of that here, but I think on a whole, it is too easy to “drive by” a build right now. When you can get an entire hyper spin pack of roms for every system, art, configuration, etc. it becomes very easy to never go through the iniatiation of working with the community to want to make things better for everyone.

I think new members who used to join came at a fairly early stage, and kept coming back as they saw the value of working with a community of hobbyists. Now it is common place to see someone pop in here first post with their build “done” whether it is good or bad. If it is good, then it is generally because it is a clone of someone else’s work, it it is bad, then we are likely to give honest feedback, and looking like a pack of bullies in the process, because that person was never looking for real feedback at this stage. We could honor that, most of us do, but Sugar coating our opinions on the cab to make someone feel good is not the purpose of this forum nor does it help future builders looking for best practices. Unfortunately I think a lot of vets here faded out or just bite their lip because if they are honest, they get called snobby elitist purists. I know I have been called that, and my crowning cab design is a slim, flatscreen, half size, sit down machine. (And fairly innovative)

If we really want innovation again then we have to start being willing to get our hands dirty to help the community. When obvious things like MAWs stays dead in the streets for years, it is hard to say there is nothing left we can do. There is a thread that died a few days ago about reviving the arcade art library. I get the op needs to chime in, but this should be stuff that we should be lining up to support.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:31:38 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2018, 08:25:16 am »
Reading this thread, I see why innovation is dead. Everyone is missing the boat on what innovation is. No offense, but we used to be in a world where people would line up to be a part of project that benefitted the community. Databases, 3rd party tools, group buys, art restoration projects, product testing, detailing builds and posing real questions for the community to troubleshoot problems. Some glimmers of that here, but I think on a whole, it is too easy to “drive by” a build right now. When you can get an entire hyper spin pack of roms for every system, art, configuration, etc. it becomes very easy to never go through the iniatiation of working with the community to want to make things better for everyone.

I think new members who used to join came at a fairly early stage, and kept coming back as they saw the value of working with a community of hobbyists. Now it is common place to see someone pop in here first post with their build “done” whether it is good or bad. If it is good, then it is generally because it is a clone of someone else’s work, it it is bad, then we are likely to give honest feedback, and looking like a pack of bullies in the process, because that person was never looking for real feedback at this stage. We could honor that, most of us do, but Sugar coating our opinions on the cab to make someone feel good is not the purpose of this forum nor does it help future builders looking for best practices. Unfortunately I think a lot of vets here faded out or just bite their lip because if they are honest, they get called snobby elitist purists. I know I have been called that, and my crowning cab design is a slim, flatscreen, half size, sit down machine. (And fairly innovative)

If we really want innovation again then we have to start being willing to get our hands dirty to help the community. When obvious things like MAWs stays dead in the streets for years, it is hard to say there is nothing left we can do. There is a thread that died a few days ago about reviving the arcade art library. I get the op needs to chime in, but this should be stuff that we should be lining up to support.

Well said

/slow 80s clap.gif
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2018, 11:06:34 am »

I was just going to use the antique range my ex-wife left in my basement. I guess it was her grandma's but tell me more about the dual toaster ovens...

I picked up an old oven off Craig's List for free. Didn't have a 220V outlet in the garage of the place I was renting, so I made a 25' extension cord for it. When I needed to powder coat, I'd pull the kitchen oven away from the wall, plug in the junker oven in the garage and powder coat several pieces in a session. Even a normal sized kitchen oven is too small for some things in this hobby. I found it was difficult to fit certain coin doors in the oven.
%Bartop

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2018, 05:13:42 pm »
Along the lines of dynamic marquee i did get to the point where I was outputting attractmode on the hdmi of my raspberry Pi and got the marquee of the selected game to show up on a second monitor on the gertVGA666 interface.
but could only get the viewer app to work once due to some flaw with it.

OMX player will play video's on 2nd display though but it takes a few seconds to start so creating video files of a marquee won't be good either.

there is no X environment for the 2nd display. but things like Kivy and python could be used to put an image out on the second monitor since it is basically the same as using the touchscreen as an interface and the main display over hdmi.
So i've started looking at python and kivy.

may even work with 240p over composite but have to test that.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2018, 05:24:18 pm »
I've always enjoyed seeing members create cabs for games that never had a chance to become an Arcade Game... (I am looking at you Cuphead!)
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2018, 05:52:22 pm »
I don't think a dynamic bezel is worthwhile, wouldn't work all that well even with the mirror. However dynamic sideart is certainly possible. However it would be ultimately kind of a waste. I have I believe 18 games at the moment, and can only see 4 of their 36 sides.

I think more should be done with stacked monitors (like Playchoice cabinets), and dynamic instruction cards.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 10:42:04 am
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2018, 06:54:13 pm »
Hmmm, feels like a good time for someone to just post a landing craft control panel. I haven’t seen one in a while. Anyone?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2018, 08:27:58 pm »
I don't think a dynamic bezel is worthwhile, wouldn't work all that well even with the mirror.

Why's that? 

You take an Asteroids Deluxe or a Discs of Tron, you drop an oversize LCD where the diorama cardboard is.  It worked with cardboard - what makes you say it wouldn't work?

(Worthwhile, sure, that part is up to opinion, I can't pick your brain for details there.)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2018, 09:00:30 pm »
I don't think a dynamic bezel is worthwhile, wouldn't work all that well even with the mirror.

Why's that? 

You take an Asteroids Deluxe or a Discs of Tron, you drop an oversize LCD where the diorama cardboard is.  It worked with cardboard - what makes you say it wouldn't work?

(Worthwhile, sure, that part is up to opinion, I can't pick your brain for details there.)

There is a neat mod over on KLOV where they added an LCD in the back of a Tron.  A video feed mimics the original translite making it 3D and adding movement.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=416985&highlight=tron+lcd&page=2

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2018, 10:00:24 pm »
Heh, neat!  I like how that turned out.  Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2018, 10:33:45 pm »
Mostly because of difficulty matching up monitor sizes. I own an Asteroids Deluxe (Highest known serial number, last day of production, losers@@@!!!! :burgerking: :burgerking: :burgerking:). They don't make an LCD the correct size to project a bezel around the monitor.  My relatively quick calculations came to the conclusion that a dynamic LCD bezel with a crt monitor would require the monitor to be undersized for the cabinet, and that is not acceptable.

Why's that? 

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2018, 01:28:45 am »
Aha, gotcha!

Thanks for the explanation.  I see what you mean; if the CRT's already the full width of the cabinet, you've got nowhere to go for a surrounding bezel, since the LCD bezel ends up being at the back of the cabinet instead of the front.  You can probably stretch above and below, but not to the sides. 

Good point.  Hmmm.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:14 am »
It could be set up like a Tron one could take from that, Like with an inner bezel, But even so that would be quite distracting. And as P/oliver already stated put dynamic sides up against a wall or something and you wasted your money....

Interesting take on the "death of innovation" and could almost be directly related to large number uptick of creeper guests that have no input at all, But only mine the information.That and the apparent lack of interest in how something was done, unless its laid out in a neat little package....But I must regress, For cutie pie is guilty of what you speak,   

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2018, 07:11:23 am »

Anybody done it?

Kind of.

This guy started to.

Project isn't dead...it's just in storage. Wife and I sold our house and built our own last year, just need to finish garage this summer and all projects including the CNC will be back online. Pretty much visit the site every day, just haven't had a reason to post anything.

Thanks for the bump though :cheers:

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2018, 08:26:59 am »
Well there have been plenty of innovations in the Reverse Engineering Hardware / Software side of things, leading to better emulation.

Just the fact that over the last few weeks we've worked out how to dump the real internal ROMs from the Taito C-Chips using new techniques is absolutely massive news.  Prior to this all techniques tried had failed but thanks to the amazing work of the Caps0ff group we now have a means of gaining access to the REAL protection code for the likes of Rainbow Islands, Volfied, Superman, Bonze Adventure and Operation Wolf which should help bring the emulation from 'almost correct' to 'correct'

However I'm already aware that a good number of the other innovative things we've been doing recently are of no interest to people here because they don't fit the mold of what they'd like to see.