Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2018: The year of no new innovations?  (Read 31960 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
2018: The year of no new innovations?
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:51 pm »
I've been doing this a while. Last year was my first year of not building a cabinet. I've built dozens over the years (At last count, I was close to 40). I lurked and I don't think I saw anything ground breaking in 2017. Were there even awards? The Mameys faded away as the changes to the industry became minor incremental improvements.

Most of all the major hurdles have been cleared, inexpensive artwork, affordable kids, awesome frontends, authentic controls, etc - you can build a badass cabinet for peanuts now. What's left?

I enjoy the community, but I don't think there are any frontiers left.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: 2018: The year of no new innovations?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:44:22 pm »
Chance killed the UCAs. There haven't been any real innovations in quite a long time. No excitement to build either, for every awesome cab like blip there's 10 aircraft carriers.

Life needs more pinball.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:56:58 pm »
someone killed the uca’s? lol. Sounds juicy. Where’s the juicy bits?

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:02:23 pm »
What kind of innovations are you looking for? It seems like you are well versed in building cabs at this point. In my opinion the sky is the limit. Use your imagination and do something creative instead of the same old thing. Build a cabinet for a game that never had an arcade version. Come up with a unique control system for a game. Do a cab dedicated to one genre of game. If I had the time, money and energy I'd just continue building cabs and have my own little diy arcade.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:29:56 pm »

I agree. If it weren’t for ZapCon and the 3D printer thread, I’d probably stop checking in. As it is, this’ll probably be the last hurrah for ZapCon and BYOAC meetups as well.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:45:13 pm »
Only so many times you can repackage the same old ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, bro.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:29:34 pm »
We are not dead yet.  Le Chuck's Star Wars cabaret and Marc74's Invaders are as good as anything produced back in the golden age of BYOAC. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:06:34 am »
I've been doing this a while. Last year was my first year of not building a cabinet. I've built dozens over the years (At last count, I was close to 40). I lurked and I don't think I saw anything ground breaking in 2017. Were there even awards? The Mameys faded away as the changes to the industry became minor incremental improvements.

Most of all the major hurdles have been cleared, inexpensive artwork, affordable kids, awesome frontends, authentic controls, etc - you can build a badass cabinet for peanuts now. What's left?

Well there is the problem, "affordable, budget" Cookie cutter cloned junk, Jennifer still has fun, building quality and constantly looks for ways to improve.... And those who are bored to tears and blaming the world, just get off your butts and build something cool rather than sit around and post about "free crap," or how chuffed you are.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 03:41:15 am »
Krangbrain's Star Wars upright has potential, too.  That keeps me coming back in what is either the current lull or the apocalyptic end times.

I'd vote it for a UCA nomination, if UCAs were still a thing.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 04:04:08 am »
Marc74's Invaders
Totally agree on that one. Love it.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 05:57:15 am »

I agree. If it weren’t for ZapCon and the 3D printer thread, I’d probably stop checking in. As it is, this’ll probably be the last hurrah for ZapCon and BYOAC meetups as well.

Hey ime still planing on showing up 2019 so you cant kill it off yet!!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 08:19:49 am »
someone killed the uca’s? lol. Sounds juicy. Where’s the juicy bits?

No juicy bits, he ran it into the ground, the end.  I spend more time at Pinside.com , arcade-projects.com , and jammaplus.co.uk now but don't tell Steve. kk thnx bai.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 10:47:37 am »
Frankly, I don't even remember.  I screwed up one of the categories and it was SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS around here and I threw in the towel.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 10:48:44 am »
I’ve said it before, I think motivation is the key. I think there’s a subset of people here that grew up with arcade cabinets, have fun memories of them, and want to re-create that part of their youth, and I think there’s another subset that just wants a badass gaming machine for the man cave. I’m not saying one is more right than the other, but I think one group is probably looking for authenticity, and the other one just wants cheap, fast and flashy. Cheap fast and flashy leads to copycatting, and that’s why I think we haven’t seen any real Innovation.

It is what it is. I’ve worked on many projects over the years that I really haven’t felt motivated to post here because quite frankly, they fall more in the restoration category than anything else, and I just don’t think people aren’t that interested here in restoration. Which is sad, because this board ends up getting a bad rap on places like KLOV, because they think we’re all about LEDs and monster control panels. Sure, some people are, but not all of us. I’ve got 3 projects in the queue and haven’t posted anything on any of them.

So to answer your question, Lew, I think we’re not seeing much innovation because people aren’t feeling a need to be particularly innovative. They just want an end product that they can stick in the cave and play with/impress their buddies. I think the reason why you see Flynn’s Arcade copycatted so much is because he uses off-the-shelf products (like a large screen TV, not a scary, bulky old CRT), it’s extremely well-documented so it’s a lot of virtual handholding going on, and it’s four players so people think it’s party machine. Again, not pointing fingers or anything like that, but that’s why I think it’s so widely copied. I’m glad to see guys like Arroyo using it as a source of inspiration as opposed to straight cloning it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 10:49:19 am »
Frankly, I don't even remember.  I screwed up one of the categories and it was SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS around here and I threw in the towel.

If the goal is to reward excellence, you should at least take it seriously. Otherwise just give all these ---smurfs--- gold stars.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 10:59:33 am »
gold stars and candy bars for everyone!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:51 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 11:23:32 am »
I am interested in restoration projects.

Yots. Have you posted the projects somewhere else?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 11:27:32 am »
You had one job...

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 11:34:39 am »
I’ve said it before, I think motivation is the key. I think there’s a subset of people here that grew up with arcade cabinets, have fun memories of them, and want to re-create that part of their youth, and I think there’s another subset that just wants a badass gaming machine for the man cave. I’m not saying one is more right than the other, but I think one group is probably looking for authenticity, and the other one just wants cheap, fast and flashy. Cheap fast and flashy leads to copycatting, and that’s why I think we haven’t seen any real Innovation.

It is what it is. I’ve worked on many projects over the years that I really haven’t felt motivated to post here because quite frankly, they fall more in the restoration category than anything else, and I just don’t think people aren’t that interested here in restoration. Which is sad, because this board ends up getting a bad rap on places like KLOV, because they think we’re all about LEDs and monster control panels. Sure, some people are, but not all of us. I’ve got 3 projects in the queue and haven’t posted anything on any of them.

So to answer your question, Lew, I think we’re not seeing much innovation because people aren’t feeling a need to be particularly innovative. They just want an end product that they can stick in the cave and play with/impress their buddies. I think the reason why you see Flynn’s Arcade copycatted so much is because he uses off-the-shelf products (like a large screen TV, not a scary, bulky old CRT), it’s extremely well-documented so it’s a lot of virtual handholding going on, and it’s four players so people think it’s party machine. Again, not pointing fingers or anything like that, but that’s why I think it’s so widely copied. I’m glad to see guys like Arroyo using it as a source of inspiration as opposed to straight cloning it.

THis - and I think another thing that we are seeing is the turn to Console games and emulation instead of Arcade games - Figure a lot of the newer members grew up playing the games at home in front of the TV rather than in an Arcade - so the builds are starting to go more toward the console games and many/most of them just aren't designed to be put in a cab.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 11:46:57 am »
Well, that guy with the fish tank idea was almost innovative.
Had he gone with an rpi it would of been golden.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 11:53:51 am »
Well, that guy with the fish tank idea was almost innovative.
Had he gone with an rpi it would of been golden.

That’s not innovation, that’s being effing stupid. Poor fish. Goldfish are high strung as it is, so they really need to hear “AAAARRRRRRRRHHHH!!! I HUNGER!!!!” when the chap is playing Sinistar?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 11:55:30 am »
I am interested in restoration projects.

Yots. Have you posted the projects somewhere else?

Mike-

Naw. I’m restoring a bootleg Crazy Kong cabaret, remixing a Dynamo cab, and building a MAME for my cousin. You can see the first two at ZapCon in 7 weeks, brother!! Whooooo!!!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 12:03:17 pm »

THis - and I think another thing that we are seeing is the turn to Console games and emulation instead of Arcade games - Figure a lot of the newer members grew up playing the games at home in front of the TV rather than in an Arcade - so the builds are starting to go more toward the console games and many/most of them just aren't designed to be put in a cab.

I agree with Yot, but I see a 2nd division in there as well, not just a group classic gaming enthusiasts and a group of man-cave gamers. There is also a division of people who have a passion around building and innovating to build something personal and those looking to complete a project using others works as their full blueprint. The personalization seems to only reside in choosing art or joystick brand, while the innovators are seeking things that haven't been done before, creating their own solutions to problems and have a defined end goal in mind.

As odd as it is, it seems that the builders, innovators around here usually line up in Group A of classic gaming enthusiasts, even though you would think they would be in the group out to make a flashy tricked out cab. The ones I see as more innovative and creative here seem to be more tempered to the rules of what makes a classic cab great, maybe it is just attention to detail. There are some steller exceptions, and some people here who swim well in both pools. Can build classic, simple and elegant, or crazy and bold. I guess I will call those people the true savants of BYOAC. (Ond comes to mind.) Unfortunately those people are the ones who seem especially exhausted with the hobby right now.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:51 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 12:12:55 pm »
It's funny because as a relative newbie I am motivated and excited for this hobby. I am looking forward to meeting a lot of people at Zapcon and the MGC, both in April. The stuff I am doing is not particularly innovative, but I love it and I am greatly interested in what other people are doing. I have friends at my house almost every weekend. We are playing arcade games and card games. My whole front room has been taken over by arcade games. I plan on knocking down the wall between my kitchen and my living room to expand the game room further.

The projects don't have to be ground breaking or innovative to be fun.

Sharing the experience is the best part for me. My buddies kids run around my house with pockets full of quarters. They are playing the games we loved when we were their age. 80's music videos, courtesy of Yotsuya, are blaring on a video screen. I am in the kitchen cooking up Chicago Style pizza from scratch, drinking a beer or six with my good friends.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »

:cheers: No they don't, but there are a lot of aspects that make a well-built machine, and they must all be thought through holistically to make the project quality. Usually less is more, and there is a creativity behind that, even if it isn't obvious.

The a common example I see is the classic cab with the extra jumbo aircraft carrier control panel awkwardly mounted to it. It just feels so out of place to be standing two feet to the right of a machine and playing a game.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 12:26:26 pm »
Meh, the Weecades did more to kill this forum than anything else and 99% of you embraced those pieces of crap with open arms.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 12:30:56 pm »

:cheers: No they don't, but there are a lot of aspects that make a well-built machine, and they must all be thought through holistically to make the project quality. Usually less is more, and there is a creativity behind that, even if it isn't obvious.

The a common example I see is the classic cab with the extra jumbo aircraft carrier control panel awkwardly mounted to it. It just feels so out of place to be standing two feet to the right of a machine and playing a game.

So if we don't like the aircraft carrier CPs then it up to the rest of us to do better. This thread puzzles me and comes off as a little elitist. I understand that people roll their eyes when they see a huge gaudy monstrosity of a cabinet, but a lot of people feel like they need to take the kitchen sink approach because for them one machine is all they will ever build. Lets not forget what BYOAC stands for. This hobby has so many ways in which it can go, we've barely scratched the surface. Think outside the box. (or the cabinet)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 12:37:19 pm »
I think most of us who are serious about arcade machines and history end up taking the next step and becoming collectors and restorers of actual machines. That leads to moving  on from BYOACing.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:06 pm »

So if we don't like the aircraft carrier CPs then it up to the rest of us to do better. This thread puzzles me and comes off as a little elitist. I understand that people roll their eyes when they see a huge gaudy monstrosity of a cabinet, but a lot of people feel like they need to take the kitchen sink approach because for them one machine is all they will ever build. Lets not forget what BYOAC stands for. This hobby has so many ways in which it can go, we've barely scratched the surface. Think outside the box. (or the cabinet)

I respectfully disagree that we’ve barely scratched the surface when it comes to classic arcade cabinets. We entered that golden age a few years ago, and now it’s over. The only way it can go is the Dave and Busters route - more flags, more bling, more wow. I’d rather see improvements to gameplay and emulation than to presentation, personally.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 01:17:44 pm »

I said Aricraft control panel on a Classic style cabinet. That stuff ain't even mancave approved.

There is a tasteful approach to any cab. Yes, you can have a larger control panel with more functions, but the rest of the cab is kept in mind, and the cab in proportion to the room and games being played s/b kept in mind too. Its not an elitist thing, its an understanding of the goal of the cabinet, which should never be about playing EVERYTHING, jumbo and giant. You don't see a Ferrari with 40 buttons on the dashboard, but you will see a Ferrari with an ass ton of cool features.

Tasteful presentation, bros!  :cheers:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 01:40:13 pm »
To be fair ive said it before and ile say it again.

You cant re-invent the wheel.
A arcade cab is a wooden case with controls and a board of some variety or another.

Whats there left to innovate?
The controls? Been done to death.
The monitor? 2 choices one preferred over the other.
The board? Yeah that can change allot.
The cab? Kinda but not really.

Until some new piece of hardware or something comes on the market not much is going to change from the normal.

Parts and info is now widely available.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 02:35:53 pm »
LOL. Just give up the hobby then. Nothing new to do. Its all been done to death. Time to move on.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 02:39:19 pm »
LOL. Just give up the hobby then. Nothing new to do. Its all been done to death. Time to move on.

No, you can have fresh new takes on classic concepts. Problem is no one is doing that either.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 02:55:57 pm »
Marble shelf paper needs a renaissance. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 03:04:48 pm »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 03:04:58 pm »

Now there's a man with ideas.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 03:13:08 pm »
So I guess we are all just waiting for the next thingy that somebody else designed and manufactured, so we can drill another 1-1/8" hole in our control panels and then the hobby will be over again. Give me a break. Its not always about "innovation" its also about art, craftsmanship, style and imagination. Just because nobody is doing it now doesn't mean there won't be a great project right around the corner.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2018, 03:21:47 pm »
How long have you all been doing this? You should all be operators with substantial routes by now...
%Bartop

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 03:27:55 pm »
  Innovation doesn't come easy, and when it does it is usually copy write and trademarked as a potential business model, Not given away free as an idea, If Jenn was to give credit in a historical context It would have to be Onds cutting board inserts (A brilliant idea) that As far as I have seen was never used again.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
How long have you all been doing this? You should all be operators with substantial routes by now...

I spent too much restoring to put my games out in the wild! It’s enough taking them to ZapCon.