Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Seimitsu wiring help  (Read 3347 times)

timbone316

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2019, 01:40:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Seimitsu wiring help
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:35:45 am »
So I have two Seimitsu LS-32s hooked up to an IPAC2, but I can only register weird directions on them. Here (https://imgur.com/a/JIe4g) is my joystick and wiring harness setup in the first image (pins pointed toward the TV when the control panel is hinged down), and the second shows the IPAC wiring. According to the wiring diagram I saw, I should have the right colors in the right slots on the IPAC, but I have no clue why I am not getting anything besides weird diagonals only. Based off a recommendation from another forum, I tried disconnecting the wires, hooking the ground to a multimeter and testing continuity. Here are my results:

Using the orange as ground (according to the wiring diagram), here’s what I found:

With yellow (should be registering left according to the way I oriented the stick), I only got continuity by pressing the up-right diagonal.

With black (should be registering up), I got continuity on up-right, right, and down-right

With green (should have been registering down), I only got continuity on down-right

With red (should have been registering right), I got no continuity at all.

I tried this with the right stick with its respective wiring harness, and got the exact same results there too, so i don't think its the one stick or the one harness. I also hooked some pushbuttons up to the IPAC direction slots to make sure those were working right, and they were. Any ideas? I swear I hooked these sticks up a while ago to a test control panel and they worked, but that was probably a year, year and a half ago (this project has been in the works for a while now...)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: Seimitsu wiring help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:43:47 am »
Sounds like Orange is not ground !

If it was ground then you would always have continuity on the directionals  -- Try testing with Black as the ground ( Since with Black and Orange you are getting all of the Right directions as grounded so Black and Orange would be Ground and Right ! ( and Orange is probably Right and Red is most likely Left - Since there would never be continuity between right and left but would be with up and down on the diagonals - So there is no continuity between Red and Orange meaning Orange is not ground but Right - and since Right is always showing continuity with all of the others except red would mean Orange is Right !) - Leaving Green as Down ( since orange and green have continuity with Right and Down ) meaning Yellow is Up !!

SO you have

Black = Ground
Orange = Right
Red = Left
Green = Down
Yellow = Up

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:58:19 am by JDFan »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:11:42 am »
I would dissconect all the wires then do a continuity check between each and ground while operating the stick.

That will prove each switch and which wire is your ground.

Go from there.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:22 pm »
Black is NOT always ground.  On Sanwa sticks it's black.  On Seimitsu sticks it's orange.  Depending on which way you orient the joystick is how you wire it up.  Based on the pics you provided you have the connector facing up, so the colors should be:
Ground = Orange
Up = Black
Down = Green
Left = Yellow
Right = Red

Looks like you have it wired wrong in your pic. (attached below)

See diagram below for clarification.

DeL
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:13:11 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:08:54 pm »
I would dissconect all the wires then do a continuity check between each and ground while operating the stick.

That will prove each switch and which wire is your ground.

Go from there.

That works  - but with the testing he provided there is enough info to figure out which is which already also !

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:14:01 pm »
Black is NOT always ground.  On Sanwa sticks it's black.  On Seimitsu sticks it's orange.  Depending on which way you orient the joystick is how you wire it up.  Based on the pics you provided you have the connector facing up, so the colors should be:
Ground = Orange
Up = Black
Down = Green
Left = Yellow
Right = Red

See diagram below for clarification.

DeL

From the continuity testing he provided it shows Orange is Right not ground ! -- Green and Orange he gets continuity on Down- Right ( Green is down and Orange is right) and Yellow he gets continuity on Up right ( Yellow is Up and ORange is Right)  - no continuity on Red since you can not hit Left-Right ( Red is Left and Orange is Right)  and all 3 RIght combinations on Black and ORange ( would mean Black is ground and ORange is RIght ! ) -- all testing points to Orange being RIGHT not Ground ! 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:26:43 pm by JDFan »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »
His iPac pic tell a different story though.  So maybe he goofed up testing?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 12:29:37 pm »
His iPac pic tell a different story though.  So maybe he goofed up testing?

Which is why he is not getting the correct movement as the Wiring is wrong on the Ipac -- Should be Black to ipac ground and Orange to ipac Right - Green to Down Yellow to Up and Red to Left ! THen the movement would match the stick !

Right now with Orange to ground the only movements he gets is those including Right ( since Orange is actually right not ground - so he gets Right Up Right Down and Right but never any other direction
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:31:43 pm by JDFan »

timbone316

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2019, 01:40:28 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 12:36:16 pm »
Figured it out. In this case, black was ground. I opened the stick up and looked at how the switches were soldered to the board, and that led me to see how the wiring harness was connected. Once i discovered black was ground, the rest was easy. Thanks everyone for your help! I would have replied sooner, but didn't get notified that this post had gotten replies...

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 01:17:45 pm »
Glad you got it working!

It was bugging me though how black was ground and not orange like it should be, so I did some research.  Turns out you have a Sanwa connector and a Seimitsu joystick.  They are both 5 pin so are easily interchanged, but the colors are different.  I've attached both connectors below for reference.  Note that the Seimitsu connector has orange on the end where black is on the Sanwa harness.  And black is in the middle on the Semitsu where orange is on the Sanwa harness.   :applaud:

DeL
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:19:36 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »