Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game Infinity (bartop version)  (Read 2496 times)

Inphonet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2020, 04:26:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Game Infinity (bartop version)
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:51:39 pm »
Typical beginning (long time lurker; big fan blah blah blah)

Premature posting I know
Haven't even ordered anything yet

Looking for feedback and help before ordering anything...
New member/poster/builder - I hope this is the right place and method- please advise otherwise
(I apologize ahead of time for this stream of consciousness posting -- I'll fix it up as time goes on -- thanks for looking and for any feedback!!!)

[thanks for the comments below! -- I will attempt to structure this a little better and to answer some of my own questions -- I'm aware that this is only a tiny bit better now! Sorry]

Goal: 2 player arcade cabinet to play mostly 70's/80's/90's arcade games.  Also interested in early console emulation. Eventually would like to be able to also play more modern games too (upgrade pi to PC later is my thinking)

----

CABINET:

I'm leaning towards a bartop with a matching/removeable floor standing base --- I would like to have the full size cabinet "feel" - but with the flexibility of loading it into a car or moving it between floors of my home etc (heavy tho I bet)

I'm planning on ordering a kit from Haruman (widescreen 24" bartop - evo xr2)

I would love to one day do all of my own woodworking and make a nice big 4 player stand up cabinet.
  -but For this first "build" I will avoid woodworking and focus on all other challenges

**QUESTION 1 --- *I intend to get vinyl art for the cab --- I'm wondering if I should consider birch ply instead of white melamine -- for the weight savings (once covered in art and tmolding can you even tell what the material is unless you try to move it??)

----

CONTROLS:

Ultimarc buttons and joysticks (seems super pricey but they seem great- I definitely(??) want old school concave clicky buttons  - advice???)

Ultimate IPAC ultimate IO I suppose

Rgb classic buttons (ultimarc)

Servo stick player1 (rgb)

Matching(?) sanwa(?) non motorized stick-  with rgb shaft -  for player2 (ultimarc j-stick?)

I'm new to all this -- I remember the old sticks in street fighter 2  - I never loved  them ... Newer sanwa jlw sticks (ultimarc) I hope I'll like better -- any advice??

2 pinball buttons each side(?)

Add trackball centered on control panel and as close to front as possible

**QUESTION 2 -- is adding a spinner going to make it too crowded??

--Add spinner centered in back - perhaps off centered and above the player 2 buttons towards the top right of the control panel?? (I'm thinking if centered as I'd prefer visually -- it would perhaps be in the way of trackball throw)

I really hope not -- but -- is this too crowded (apparently control panel is 27.65" wide on this Haruman model) -- I know purists will of course say yes --- but what about from those that like this sort of thing and have experience using/owning it??)

QUESTION 3 - Straight vs curved button layout? 6 buttons? 7? 8? I've done some research on this and I probably shouldn't ask but I am anyway --  I remember it being straight layout (I'm 40 years old now) --- but it seems that curved is more natural - and it seems to make sense to me - so fine -- curved I guess??

**I went on a field trip yesterday -- a decent retro arcade -- very glad I did -- I'm not sure what questions were answered tho -- I feel both more confused and more confident

It seems a 7th button would be useful (bottom left of the 6 button layout -- the "neo geo layout"

----

ADMIN

Admin buttons - (advice here please?)

2 rectangular coin insert buttons from ggg(?) on front panel
Was thinking amp cutout on front panel but too ugly and unnecessary correct?

Other admin buttons at top of control panel (??)
I'd love smaller buttons (18/20mm??) - do these exist?? Matching concave rgb buttons? Do I want concave for these?? Maybe no so I can put in labels? Or labeled only on vinyl on control panel art?? Also perhaps these should always be dark and therefore don't need rgb/led ---  Help??)

I've been playing around with mame (and other emulators including the latest) and front ends since the super early days of emulation but I have no experience using mame/emulators with a dedicated cabinet intended also for guests - not sure about admin buttons - how many? Which ones? Don't want to confuse guests but I don't want them messing stuff up either -- what's a good balance???

QUESTION 4 --- is this a good amount of admin buttons?? --

1. Pause/exit (hold 3 seconds)
2. Save
3. Load
4. Player1 start
5. Player2 start
(And 2 coin buttons)

----

Project Name needs work maybe... Wanted to squeeze in the word "infinity" somehow

----

ART:
Artwork unknown - I think a 70s/early 80s look - simple - maybe kinda white with a little black (as opposed to the more traditional mostly black cabinet??  Maybe kinda like galaga or centipede mostly white cabs?)
(The fact that the rgb buttons are white when "off" seems important to consider)

Vinyl Graphics - I'll design them -  but printing source unknown

----
SYSTEM:
Computer - unknown
Probably start off with an rpi -- 95% of the games I think I want to play are older arcade games and some older game consoles. However some newer systems and games would be fun too -- so maybe later upgrade to a decent PC (my concern tho is -- I don't want to spend endless hours configuring the system twice -- so I may decide to just bite the bullet on a real PC before I begin)

----

More thoughts as I think of them
I'll delete this if I'm just too premature or otherwise lame or boring

All feedback welcome

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:01:03 pm by Inphonet »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Game Infinity (bartop version)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:57 am »
This post was pretty unreadable to me (but I tried anyway) as well as hard to answer (sooooo many - unordered - questions).

Premature posting I know

New member/poster/builder - I hope this is the right place and method- please advise otherwise
(I apologize ahead of time for this stream of consciousness posting -- I'll fix it up as time goes on -- thanks for looking and for any feedback!!!)

Planning on ordering a kit from Haruman (widescreen 24" bartop - evo xr2) [originally (15 years running now??] I was going to build my own (and full size cab)  - I'm now thinking for my first "build" I should start slow... Also originally wanted a vertical 4x3 -- and then decided on horizontal 4x3 --- I'm now leaning towards a larger 16x9 because it's actually taller than a 20.1 anyway... Also gives a wider/bigger control panel...Advice???] (I actually have a 23" old apple cinema HD display -- I'll replace it one day soon with a 24" tho)

Thoughts on white/black melamine (or unfinished mdf?) vs birch plywood?... this thing will be so heavy I wonder what the weight difference is... Possibly significant?? Also maybe birch ply would be better to wall mount (no risk of chipping?) [non issue if I get a floor stand]

I think I will also have Lee/Haruman make a floor stand to sit the bartop on -- I'm thinking the bartop will be pretty darn heavy - I would want the base to look like it matches and "fits" tho - we'll see

I'm thinking the base should have a door - maybe even a drawer?? (Gamepads, accessories, etc)

[***and this may be over-reaching - maybe forget this part but - maybe some electronics inside this base/stand: subwoofer? Guns, steering wheel attachment etc - is this feasable electronically/design wise?? - in some magical world -- I would place the bartop onto this matching stand and these electronics would just "automatically work" -- some sort of method of "mating" the two (bartop/base) ?? - original thought was just an rj45 male (connector) & female (keystone?) pair - but iPad pro/keyboard and other effortless docking methods are inspiring]

Also

Ultimarc buttons and joysticks (seems super pricey but they seem great- I definitely(??) want old school concave clicky buttons  - advice???)

Rgb (add rgb led shaft and use the more expensive/classic? buttons) [i think lighted buttons are kinda tacky - but maybe in a good 80s way -  I love the idea of only the necessary buttons lighting up for the particular game)

Servo stick player1 (seems ideal? Not a ton of chatter about this stick it seems tho - maybe I'm missing something -- pricey for sure but otherwise seems ideal? Or is the feel not great?? - I want a stick that feels close to old school sfii (happ/il??) but maybe somewhat updated for the modern era -- a little quieter is ok but still clicky I hope? Not so sure or experienced with centering or responsiveness etc... I suppose I don't want overly sensitive nor super different from what I know- but I'm willing to try new things if it's "better") [and I want (fairly?) authentic feeling 4 way pacman style feel-- and I love the motorized craziness!! IN FACT -- IDEALLY - I REALLY WANT A MOTORIZED SCREEN!]

Matching(?) sanwa(?) non motorized stick-  rgb shaft -  for player2 (ultimarc j-stick?)

(I'm new to all this -- I remember the old sticks in sfii well - I liked them but maybe they were kinda crappy? Newer sanwa sticks/ultimarc I hope I'll like -- any advice??)

Project Name needs work maybe... Wanted to squeeze in the word "infinity" somehow

Artwork unknown - I think a 70s/early 80s look - simple - maybe kinda white with a little black (as opposed to the more traditional mostly black cabinet??  Maybe kinda like galaga or centipede mostly white cabs?)
(The fact that the rgb buttons are white when off is important to consider)

2 pinball buttons each side(?) [i wish a low profile real plunger existed - or some solution?? Thoughts??maybe just use an existing button or joystick for ball launch? Fine I guess -- but hmmm... is there a nice looking sensible one? Is the big "traditional" pinball launch ball button too tacky or unnecessary?? Most importantly -  24" widescreen - is v-pinball a pipe dream anyway?? Will it never be big enough and look good enough??)

Add spinner centered in back

(I really hope not -- but -- is this too crowded (apparently control panel is 27.65" wide on this Haruman model) -- I know purists will of course say yes --- but what about from those that like this sort of thing and have experience using/owning it??)

Straight vs curved button layout? 6 buttons? 7? 8? I've done some research on this and I probably shouldn't ask but I am anyway --  I remember it being straight layout (I'm 40 years old now) --- but it seems that curved is more natural - and it seems to make sense to me - so fine -- curved I guess??

I don't remember neoGeo games well - I was never a huge fan -  but I did play some of them back in the day and would like to play more - but I am a bit bothered that it ruins the sfii 6 button layout -- maybe the rgb solves this and I should just keep it as 6 button?? But if people tell me the 7th (and 8th?! Why 8th? Consoles??) doesn't ruin the sfii experience then fine (but why? With rgb 6 should be fine right??)

I'd love smaller buttons (18/20mm??) - do these exist?? Matching concave rgb buttons? Do I want concave for these?? Maybe no so I can put in labels? Or labeled only on vinyl on control panel art?? Also perhaps these should always be dark and therefore don't need rgb/led ---  Help??)

I've been playing around with mame (and other emulators including the latest) and front ends since the super early days of emulation but I have no experience using mame/emulators with a dedicated cabinet intended also for guests - not sure about admin buttons - how many? Which ones? Don't want to confuse guests but I don't want them messing stuff up either -- what's a good balance???

Pause/exit (hold 3 seconds)
Save
Load
Player1 start
Player2 start

Computer - unknown
Have rpi and a few older/recent pcs too (and an original softmodded xbox I haven't touched in years etc etc)
But - I'm Thinking I'll order a new i3 8350 and a micro atx z370 motherboard etc (I'm sure there will plenty of mistakes & do-overs as I complete this project --- but I don't want to do things multiple times by design if avoidable --- I'm also of course looking to NOT spend a fortune either --- but I'm not sure it makes sense to start with rpi and then later upgrade if I'm pretty sure from the get go that I'll want modern games, steam, and things like cemu etc - or do I?? Maybe not in an arcade cabinet huh?? Sorry I'm so undecided... Can I configure hyperpi and then migrate easily to full hyperspin??)

All feedback welcome

Thanks!!
Why a bartop (with stand) over a full-size cabinet? And what games do you want to play? Decide on that before all other things (RPi/PC, button layout, etc.). Then base your next decisions on that and a lot of reading.
Also quite a lot of things in cabinet building depends on taste. You say you were lurking a lot already, so you might have noticed all different opinions. So try yourself, draw stuff, build cardboard concepts, etc.

And if you want solid answers, you should ask concrete questions. Maybe structured in a numbered list...

djlunchbox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:07:54 am
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:50:18 pm »
That was one long unstructured thought process put down in text.

First you say you've been a long time lurker but your "questions" were all over the place. It seems as tho you don't even know what you want lol

Thinking of white or black melamine vs natural look clearly shows you're not sure what you really want in general.

First you need to think of your budget. What do you see yourself spending on how fast do you want to complete this project?

Then decide on size is full size viable? Bartop more convenient and satisfy you? Then where you source it. If you're going with a pre-made kit there's plenty of options out there. If you want ease of assembly aka Ikea style then i'd suggest a kit from Game Room Solutions. If you have more patience to hammer and glue then a flat pack kit from ebay or Haruman will work.

Monitor wise save money and see what you can find on offer up or craigslist. You can find hella steals on monitors there in good working order. but always keep in mind sizing Many kits are designed for a max of 19" 4:3 or 21.5" 16:9.

once you can answer that then figure out what games are you looking to play? how much HP do you need? If you're looking for MAME and fighting games up to SF3, 16 bit gaming and no N64 then a raspberry pi 3 build would be the best bang for your buck. If you're looking for more graphics intensive then a cheap gaming pc is the move but know after all is said and done you'll be in the hole for at least $500+ for a hyperspin or big box set up.

I'd say watch some more youtube videos and get yourself sorted on what you really want and can work for you. remember you gotta place this somewhere in your place.

Inphonet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2020, 04:26:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:11:43 pm »
Thanks for your feedback guys!! You're of course totally right --- my post is ridiculously unstructured and all over the place -- thanks for trying -- as I said: this is way too early to post here I guess.

I've now attempted to give a "round 1" clean up of my messy post (still too long and messy but it's a little better)

Thanks - and I will eventually narrow this all down-- thanks for any help/advice and criticism is totally welcome too!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:29:28 am »

Premature posting I know

[thanks for the comments below! -- I will attempt to structure this a little better and to answer some of my own questions -- I'm aware that this is only a tiny bit better now! Sorry]

Goal: 2 player arcade cabinet to play mostly 70's/80's/90's arcade games.  Also interested in early console emulation. Eventually would like to be able to also play more modern games too (upgrade pi to PC later is my thinking)

Get a RPi. Easy to install and works well for your need (up to 16 bit emulation easily). Upgrade to PC only if you want to go up higher.

----

CABINET:

I'm leaning towards a bartop with a matching/removeable floor standing base --- I would like to have the full size cabinet "feel" - but with the flexibility of loading it into a car or moving it between floors of my home etc (heavy tho I bet)

I'm planning on ordering a kit from Haruman (widescreen 24" bartop - evo xr2)

I would love to one day do all of my own woodworking and make a nice big 4 player stand up cabinet.
  -but For this first "build" I will avoid woodworking and focus on all other challenges

**QUESTION 1 --- *I intend to get vinyl art for the cab --- I'm wondering if I should consider birch ply instead of white melamine -- for the weight savings (once covered in art and tmolding can you even tell what the material is unless you try to move it??)

You answer your own question I believe. Depends if you want to move it (a lot) and if you cover it entirely.

----

CONTROLS:

Rgb classic buttons (ultimarc)

Servo stick player1 (rgb)

Matching(?) sanwa(?) non motorized stick-  with rgb shaft -  for player2 (ultimarc j-stick?)

Why not two servo sticks? Does it cost that much more? The control board serves two sticks.

I'm new to all this -- I remember the old sticks in street fighter 2  - I never loved  them ... Newer sanwa jlw sticks (ultimarc) I hope I'll like better -- any advice??

2 pinball buttons each side(?)

**QUESTION 2 -- is adding a spinner going to make it too crowded??

Depends on the size of your control panel. In my intended cab it would be too crowdy, but I've seen quite a few that could handle it. Make a cardboard concept of your intended control panel and draw the controls on it (if you don't have them already).

--Add spinner centered in back - perhaps off centered and above the player 2 buttons towards the top right of the control panel?? (I'm thinking if centered as I'd prefer visually -- it would perhaps be in the way of trackball throw)

I really hope not -- but -- is this too crowded (apparently control panel is 27.65" wide on this Haruman model) -- I know purists will of course say yes --- but what about from those that like this sort of thing and have experience using/owning it??)

QUESTION 3 - Straight vs curved button layout? 6 buttons? 7? 8? I've done some research on this and I probably shouldn't ask but I am anyway --  I remember it being straight layout (I'm 40 years old now) --- but it seems that curved is more natural - and it seems to make sense to me - so fine -- curved I guess??

You could try it out the layout when you ordered the controls. I believe most people prefer curved for mame. 6 buttons will do for most mame games. Emulation till 16 bit as well I guess.

**I went on a field trip yesterday -- a decent retro arcade -- very glad I did -- I'm not sure what questions were answered tho -- I feel both more confused and more confident

It seems a 7th button would be useful (bottom left of the 6 button layout -- the "neo geo layout"

Name one NEO GEO game (that uses 7 buttons) you want to play... ;) ;)

----

ADMIN

QUESTION 4 --- is this a good amount of admin buttons?? --

1. Pause/exit (hold 3 seconds)
2. Save
3. Load
4. Player1 start
5. Player2 start
(And 2 coin buttons)

RetroPie doesn't need all those buttons. Start/select (per player) is enough. The select button acts like a hotkey. Check https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Controller-Configuration (bottom) for hotkey config.

----

----

ART:
(The fact that the rgb buttons are white when "off" seems important to consider)

----
SYSTEM:
Computer - unknown
Probably start off with an rpi -- 95% of the games I think I want to play are older arcade games and some older game consoles. However some newer systems and games would be fun too -- so maybe later upgrade to a decent PC (my concern tho is -- I don't want to spend endless hours configuring the system twice -- so I may decide to just bite the bullet on a real PC before I begin)

----

All feedback welcome

Thanks!!
Good luck with planning. And make sure you read a lot of threads in the project announcement section for inspiration: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,10.0.html