Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to make an Arcade Game Joystick feel more like a gear shift?  (Read 3011 times)

lifeofbrian2007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How to make an Arcade Game Joystick feel more like a gear shift?
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:37:02 am »
I am making a sequential gear shift from an arcade joystick but it is far too loose, especially since I put a metal long gear knob on it. I probably need some sort of spring mechanism at the bottom of the stick to make it feel more mechanical, any one have any tips?

Maybe a spring where the screws are marked?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:54:46 pm by lifeofbrian2007 »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: How to make an Arcade Game Joystick feel more like a gear shift?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
Tight springs would prob be the easiest mod.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:45:35 pm »
Why don't you just buy an arcade gearshift? Big driving games get parted out all the time.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:29:47 pm »
Why don't you just buy an arcade gearshift? Big driving games get parted out all the time.

What he said except you can buy them new if you want. I have one myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Up-Down-Shifter-by-happ-perfect-for-mame-BRAND-NEW/390125468155?hash=item5ad54a39fb:m:mdDuI2fpuNy279ZO6dHjjRQ

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:33:38 pm by shaolindrunkard »

lifeofbrian2007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:14:19 am »
Thanks for the link, shame I can't find one in the UK, they want £56 postage lol. What is it like to use? Does it spring back to center?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Up-Down-Shifter-by-happ-perfect-for-mame-BRAND-NEW/390125468155?hash=item5ad54a39fb:m:mdDuI2fpuNy279ZO6dHjjRQ

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:16:53 am by lifeofbrian2007 »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 11:30:53 am »
Thanks for the link, shame I can't find one in the UK, they want £56 postage lol. What is it like to use? Does it spring back to center?

Yes of course, its actual arcade hardware. Feels great and works great and very heavy duty. You might be able to contact these guys and see if they can get you one, they already carry this one

https://www.arcadeshop.de/Pedals-Steering-Gear-Stick-2way_520.html?osCsid=en1gn49ftj7uej7ap0jp5cl4i0

But that is the wrong one, that is not the one you want. There are 2 version of this shifter, one of the has one microswitch and locks into place in either position. That's the one in the link, and the the other has 2 microswitches and returns to center, that's the one you want and they don't seem to have it, but since they carry Happ they might be able to get it for you...

Or you could look around your area and see if anybody deals in old arcade machines and they might have a machine they are parting out that they would be will to sell you the shifter from...

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »
You can totally get arcade parts in the UK. Just look up arcade or amusement distributors, figure out what part number you want and make a few calls or emails. They have driving games in the UK too, so the spare parts have to exist there as well.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 02:13:22 pm »
You can totally get arcade parts in the UK. Just look up arcade or amusement distributors, figure out what part number you want and make a few calls or emails. They have driving games in the UK too, so the spare parts have to exist there as well.

They are about over here but I have not seen many for sale or know a local source for them.

Best place I can suggest is keep a eye on the UKVAC forums.