Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Ion Evo (2009 v29) Bad ECS Motherboard  (Read 4285 times)

esfb8zs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2020, 12:20:37 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Megatouch Ion Evo (2009 v29) Bad ECS Motherboard
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:02:51 pm »
I have a Megatouch Ion Evo that I am having trouble with the Purple ECS motherboard.  The CMOS battery died so I did a bunch of reading and managed to get it going again with the green wire hack on the power supply and shorting the two pins on the header that made the motherboard boot.  I played a couple of games, then shut it down and changed the battery.  Now nothing I do will make the mainboard boot again.  It is just dead and I have come to accept this.  I just get a error from the monitor about no input.   

I have read everything on the internet I can find and want to replace my board with a ASUS A7N8X-LA board I can get cheap.  This is a non Merit board from a HP or Compaq.  I am pretty sure from my reading that this will just work but will throw an error during the boot but continue.  Can anyone verify for me that this will be the best way to go?  I am experiences with computers and linux and can do any changes necessary but would like to do the simplest and cheapest thing I can to get it going again.  Thanks for any help!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:06:46 pm
Re: Megatouch Ion Evo (2009 v29) Bad ECS Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:04:51 pm »
It will work but you wont get any sound until you remove the jumper that directs the rear audio to the front audio jack. This is only an issue with HP's -LA version, and not an issue with the ASUS -VM version. I dont know where the jumper is located off hand, but im sure google will find it for you.

esfb8zs

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »
Thanks, I already have a thread about the audio jumper bookmarked.  I will go ahead and acquire the motherboard.  THX!

esfb8zs

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »
Well, I received my motherboard today and installed it.  Everything works BUT sound.  My motherboard does not have the jumper to redirect the sound (I found an old thread with a pic).  I have found the manual also and it does not mention a way to redirect the audio.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am thinking maybe I will just order a -VM from ebay and try that...

esfb8zs

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 06:21:04 pm »
I think I have this figured out from looking at pics on ebay.  It's the VM model that has the jumpers, not the LA.  So, does anyone know if the LA should just work connected to the Line-Out output?  THX!

esfb8zs

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 06:45:42 pm »
Issue SOLVED.  I wanted to post here in case a search brings someone.  I found this thread:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=3576757

Where bigLsells posted the following: 
ok after a bunch of searching I found something online where someone else had the same motherboard (Asus A7N8X - LA) and was re purposing it for something and had a similar issue SO, if you are replacing your original board with one of these know this --

If the front audio connector is not connected to the motherboard via the 5 straight line connector between the pci ports then the back audio jack is disabled! To fix this problem you need to short pins 1 and 2 together and 4 and 5 together with little jumpers, leave 3 alone. Whalla, the back audio port now works!