Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 5 is out  (Read 14813 times)

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 5 is out
« on: February 22, 2018, 04:01:25 pm »
The boys over at Teknoparrot have added support for it on latest patreon version

Network works fine and it's a very cool game

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:06:26 pm by Boomslang »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Re: Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 5 is out
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:53:33 pm »
The boys over at Teknoparrot have added support for it on latest patreon version

Network works fine and it's a very cool game

Always good when they add new games. Just wish I understood the appeal of Wangan Midnight and Initial D in general. I just don't get whats fun about them, or really what the point of them is.

Also says they added they "Mario button" in DX. I wonder what that does?

trick72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 03:49:05 am
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:44:23 am »
..Just wish I understood the appeal of Wangan Midnight and Initial D in general. I just don't get whats fun about them, or really what the point of them is.

Yeah, for me it's a pity Wangan, Initial D and Mario Kart all are available in Japanese language only on TP... would be so great to be able to play more english race games, like Sega Rally 3... or at least the American versions of Mario Kart and Wangan Midnight... would make more sense.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:39:12 pm »
Not really. The American versions are missing features etc

Japanese versions are almost always the best

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »
Japanese versions are almost always the best
Not the best at having the menus in English.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:23:34 pm »
lol

true.....

but i mean its not hard to work it out majority of the time

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 04:17:52 am »
Public version is out now

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 07:30:12 pm »
Public version is out now

Thanks for the update.

What games in Teknoparrot support networking? I did a simple word search in the read me but didnt unearth much.

Thanks

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:09 pm »
Netowkr support for most games is in place, i thought. So SR3, ID6, ID7, WMMT5, MKAGP, Ford Racing, etc.. all have it. Can be different to set up in each case, and I'm about to try setting it up for a few games myself for the first time.

Agent47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2019, 08:39:37 pm
  • SEGA 4-Life
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:09:13 pm »
Has anyone else had trouble getting Maximum Tune 5 to start?  I launch the game and it just hangs on a blank white screen. Does the same thing if I try to launch the Test Menu. Other games work fine.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 08:48:01 pm »
Has anyone else had trouble getting Maximum Tune 5 to start?  I launch the game and it just hangs on a blank white screen. Does the same thing if I try to launch the Test Menu. Other games work fine.

The fix for that in the ID6 test menu is to change your glare settings in renderer.ini to unrealistically large numbers.
You could try something similar, i guess?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:20 pm »
Nah its webcam. Unplug

Agent47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2019, 08:39:37 pm
  • SEGA 4-Life
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 12:14:58 am »
Thanks!  Unplugging the webcam fixed the issue right up.  Wish TeknoParrot would have included that bit of info in the "Read Me" file, seems somewhat important....  :dunno

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 09:18:39 pm »
Any know if there's a way to set/change game resolution?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:16:06 pm »
Yeah go on teknoparrot discord and someone has made a resolution patcher

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »
Thanks, that place is cool. I have the patcher now, and it works with 6:9 modes. There are some modes wider than that, but the hud doesn't stretch. I really need a 800x600 mode myself, or possibly a 640x480 mode, to run on my CRT cabs :) I've asked the guy if he can do that if he's going to correct the superwide stuff.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:08:42 pm by buttersoft »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:55 pm »
Well, no luck with WMMT5 for me on my cabs. Works fine on my desktop (2600K, 980ti, Win10) at different reslutions windowed or fullscreen, but won't open in any form on my test rig or cabs, which are pretty much Core2Duo E8500's with 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, Radeon 6000-series GPU's, and Win10 last updated about two weeks ago. That's not too far from the Arcade hardware, which from what i can find was running a Debian-based distro, and others have posted up success on similar hardware with TP. All I get is Parrotloader saying the process has failed, never even gets beyond the command window, and a generic error comes up saying unable to load, 0xc000007b.

Given there's no AMD fix (needed?) for this title, I suspect the problem is with crt_emudriver, which is crimson based so i would have thought it'd be fine. ID6 and SR3 work perfectly. I need that driver to run the CRT's on the cabs, so i'll try updating when Calamity releases new versions i guess.

If anyone has anything else to try, I'm all ears :)

EDIT: got it working! For 64-bit OS it looks like you need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 10.0.40219 installed. Big thanks to Nezarn on the disc for that one - he's the guy who made the awesome res patcher as well, so i can get the game exe patched at 1024x576, install that modeline as interlaced in my 15kHz interlaced case, and use ArcadeOSD to stretch the porches out the sides of my 4:3 screen.  It does lose me HUD detail, but it works ;)

Nothing wrong with crt_emudriver, and shame on me for thinking there might be!

EDIT2: WMMT5 is frame-locked, so at 1024x576@50i you get slowdown to 5/6 speed, and that can't be undone by disabaling v-sync globally. The next available resolution on the patcher is 896X504, and i can run that @59i at 16.2kHz, so that will have to do. It's a shame as my particular CRT's don't look great at 504i, they run far prettier at 576i. Still, the game runs. I'll try linking in a few days mb, or mb not until the version of TP that allows game saving is released.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:16:02 pm by buttersoft »

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:34 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:28 pm »
anyone have an issue with lan play where when you try to start it..right before it goes in game, one of the pc's exes crashes? (the other is fine). I've only tried on 2p and this didn't happen before IIRC, but not sure what changed.
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 11:42:51 pm »
anyone have an issue with lan play where when you try to start it..right before it goes in game, one of the pc's exes crashes? (the other is fine). I've only tried on 2p and this didn't happen before IIRC, but not sure what changed.
FYI it happens when one comp has a progress.sav file and the other doesn't. I haven't seen what happens when both have a progress.sav file. It works fine when neither have it. Unfortunate bug with TP for now it seems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 05:43:43 pm »
Always good when they add new games. Just wish I understood the appeal of Wangan Midnight and Initial D in general. I just don't get whats fun about them, or really what the point of them is.

I'm so with you on that mate. The whole one-on-one racing aspect of these games has never really appealed to me. I was going to give this game a try and then found myself internally groaning when I saw the download file was over 11GB, which is never a good thing with my crap internet download speed. Had two attempts at downloading which both failed after about 3 gig and I just thought ---fudgesicle--- it, I can live quite happily without ever playing this...

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 07:20:40 pm »

I'm so with you on that mate. The whole one-on-one racing aspect of these games has never really appealed to me. I was going to give this game a try and then found myself internally groaning when I saw the download file was over 11GB, which is never a good thing with my crap internet download speed. Had two attempts at downloading which both failed after about 3 gig and I just thought ---fudgesicle--- it, I can live quite happily without ever playing this...

I would have thought myself in your camp, but i was surprised at how much i enjoyed both InitialD 6AA and WMMT5. You can always race the clock too. They're  far more arcadey and fun than any sim racing stuff. At least as enjoyable as SR3 and with many times the content :)

MB try IDM or something, that will let you resume downloads, and pull from multiple instances so run better to begin with.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 11:04:21 pm »
WMMT5 should be much better with multiplayer I'd imagine. The single player / story-based racing doesn't quite do it for me.
For ID6, I was surprised to actually enjoy it in a 1-on-1. Don't care too much for the story mode here, either, though.

Just waiting on Lindbergh :).

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »

Yeah man, that'll be so awesome if it does actually happen (dunno why I'm still a bit skeptical, Reaver's been true to his word with all the other features and games that've appeared in Teknoparrot). Along with the Chihiro games, that'd be pretty much the last Sega holy grail of emulation/arcade cracking finally sorted.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 06:34:32 pm »

Yeah man, that'll be so awesome if it does actually happen (dunno why I'm still a bit skeptical, Reaver's been true to his word with all the other features and games that've appeared in Teknoparrot). Along with the Chihiro games, that'd be pretty much the last Sega holy grail of emulation/arcade cracking finally sorted.

You're a bit skeptical because as awesome as it has been to have the new games TP supports supported, there's literally no roadmap for what they do and no telling if and when we'll get there. He basically works on things until he says he's bored. Too much fascination with ID + WMMT, imo.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 03:00:20 pm »

You're a bit skeptical because as awesome as it has been to have the new games TP supports supported, there's literally no roadmap for what they do and no telling if and when we'll get there. He basically works on things until he says he's bored. Too much fascination with ID + WMMT, imo.

Turns out I ought to check myself. They are doing good on the Lindbergh preview!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 11:34:28 am »
Man if they get Lindbergh emulation going that would be great! I would love to play the arcade version of Outrun 2 DX, especially if they get FFb working holy ---smurfing--- ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!!!!!!!!!

Regarding Wangan, does it support FFB yet?

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 05:33:40 am »
Man if they get Lindbergh emulation going that would be great! I would love to play the arcade version of Outrun 2 DX, especially if they get FFb working holy ---smurfing--- ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!!!!!!!!!

Outrun 2 SP SDX works, though has minor graphical glitches and no networking yet. WMMT5 I believe has FFB implemented. The overall teknoparrot FFB is iffy with my DFGT though.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 07:33:33 am »

Outrun 2 SP SDX works, though has minor graphical glitches and no networking yet. WMMT5 I believe has FFB implemented. The overall teknoparrot FFB is iffy with my DFGT though.

Thanks for the reply brother. Very interesting. Would you mind going into a bit more detail as to what you mean by "iffy"? Iffy as in the ffb is too weak, too strong, .....?

nugarp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 07:35:38 am »

Thanks for the reply brother. Very interesting. Would you mind going into a bit more detail as to what you mean by "iffy"? Iffy as in the ffb is too weak, too strong, .....?
Sure thing.

There's something wonky about it but I don't know what. Whether effects are missing, inconsistent, way too weak or too strong, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:49 am »

Well my wish came true. After all these years, I have FINALLY played an actual *ARCADE* version of OutRun 2 in some form or capacity for the very first time(yes, these machines were THAT scarce here in Los Angeles). The game plays perfectly on my PC and the graphics are very nice.

The analog steering is surprisingly VERY precise, even more so than the PC version, and I found myself pulling off and recovering from drifts quite effortlessly! Only thing is, the FFB is not up to par with Howard's OR2FXT mod. Seems there is only one type of ffb and that is the occasional torque that jerks my wheel left or right up hard collisions. No road surface vibrations or other hard hitting effects. Boomslang if you read this....is there a way to adjust the ffb to give it some hard rumble or vibrations like in OR2FXT PC? Would changing any of the FFB parameters in TeknoParrot accomplish this?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 01:10:21 am »
I actually never helped with Outrun 2 SP Lindbergh FFB and i questioned the FFB too, but never got answered about it. It doesn't seem right to me, seems like effects are missing. I don't know anyone with a real lindbergh ffb outrun 2 though to find out from them etc

I know that Reaver had to do some special work to even get ffb working as without it detecting the ffb board connected, the ffb values did nothing at all.

Ill see what i can find out eventually

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 02:07:39 am »
I actually never helped with Outrun 2 SP Lindbergh FFB and i questioned the FFB too, but never got answered about it. It doesn't seem right to me, seems like effects are missing. I don't know anyone with a real lindbergh ffb outrun 2 though to find out from them etc

I know that Reaver had to do some special work to even get ffb working as without it detecting the ffb board connected, the ffb values did nothing at all.

Ill see what i can find out eventually

OK thanks for the reply. Keep me posted....

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 12:20:02 pm »

Well my wish came true. After all these years, I have FINALLY played an actual *ARCADE* version of OutRun 2 in some form or capacity for the very first time(yes, these machines were THAT scarce here in Los Angeles). The game plays perfectly on my PC and the graphics are very nice.

The analog steering is surprisingly VERY precise, even more so than the PC version, and I found myself pulling off and recovering from drifts quite effortlessly! Only thing is, the FFB is not up to par with Howard's OR2FXT mod. Seems there is only one type of ffb and that is the occasional torque that jerks my wheel left or right up hard collisions. No road surface vibrations or other hard hitting effects. Boomslang if you read this....is there a way to adjust the ffb to give it some hard rumble or vibrations like in OR2FXT PC? Would changing any of the FFB parameters in TeknoParrot accomplish this?

Sounds exactly like how the FFB worked on my PS3 version of Outrun Online Arcade.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 05:38:11 pm »

Sounds exactly like how the FFB worked on my PS3 version of Outrun Online Arcade.

Y'know it's funny.....I was thinking the EXACT same thing! Remember when I PMed you about OOA PS3? Well right before I lost access to my old HDD I did manage to play the game very briefly, like around 10 minutes or so. That was the only time I had played it on PS3 and since I had my FFB wheel hooked up, I remember thinking to myself "Hmmm....there is something missing about the FFB in this game". It was just all torque and no rumble or road surface effects whatsoever. Just didn't feel as alive as Howard's FXT. The only thing with Howard's FXT is that it doesn't have the Torque FFb effect like the PS3/Linbergh version has. If he can somehow manage to incorporate it into FXT then we'll truly have the perfect FFB version of the game.