Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: been a long time, does MAME no longer support the old arcade roms?  (Read 4013 times)

exibar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
boy MAME sure has changed!  the version I have in my cab is .86, and I have a ton of roms that work well for it.  I just tried .146 and it doesn't appear to like my old ROMS anymore.

I grabbed a set of roms, non-merged, and loaded them up...  tons of cart type games in there and what not, but no arcade roms. 

Can anyone help sum up what's going on, or am I missing something in the "new" MAME?  Just tryping lik eGalaga or even tempest, and none of the old ROMS work in .146.. 

I must be missing something obvious LOL

thanks!
 Mike B

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
Re: been a long time, does MAME no longer support the old arcade roms?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:25:22 pm »
welcome back.

you need to find the correct ron’s for your version of mame

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:07:22 am »
There have been considerable 'under the surface' changes over the years, lots of devices that couldn't be dumped in the past can now be dumped etc. so even for things like Galaga files are required now that weren't required some years ago.  For Namco titles it's mostly the Namco device roms, those are the internal ROMs from MCU devices that handle things like the I/O and some sounds.

What you're seeing is just the result of progress.

The current version should be more helpful than ever in telling you exactly what you are missing tho.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:46:33 pm »
But it won't tell you which roms are arcade roms, so.... yeah.... you might want to stick to an earlier version prior to the E.M. merge and the merge/discontinuation of MESS. 

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »
Use ClrMAMEPro to audit/check/rebuild your ROMs:
https://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 04:40:02 pm »
But it won't tell you which roms are arcade roms, so.... yeah.... you might want to stick to an earlier version prior to the E.M. merge and the merge/discontinuation of MESS.

---fudgesicle--- off with your trolling already.

You don't like what MAME does today.  I get it.

Not relevant to this discussion which was about if MAME still supported certain things, which it does, better than ever.

exibar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 03:17:21 am »
so I have to re-locate all my old ROMS?  :-(  What would a typical naming convention be for an arcade rom-pack?  or what should I look for... merged or non-merged I see both out there :-(

I did notice that many of the old ROMS do show up with an error stating something is missing...

and there's no way to sort the arcade ROMS from the console ROMS?  or am I missin gthat piece too?

a ton has changed since I build www.exibarslair.com :-)

mike B
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:20:04 am by exibar »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 10:13:23 am »
so I have to re-locate all my old ROMS?  :-(  What would a typical naming convention be for an arcade rom-pack?  or what should I look for... merged or non-merged I see both out there :-(

I did notice that many of the old ROMS do show up with an error stating something is missing...

and there's no way to sort the arcade ROMS from the console ROMS?  or am I missin gthat piece too?

a ton has changed since I build www.exibarslair.com :-)

mike B

Over the years MAME has changed the naming and layout of many of the files so you need to either get new roms to match the Mame version you are using or get an old version of MAME that matches the romset you have. - most of the romsets still separate the Arcade sets from the various Console sets so getting a full MAME rom set will normally only be the Arcade roms - if you want the various console sets you need to search for them separately ( ie. for the NES console search for a NES romset, etc.) Or if just looking for a few games then let mame tell you what is missing and search for those files ( usually what is missing is the BIOS roms or SOund system roms etc. since they are now separate zip files rather than being included each game rom that uses them )

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 02:06:24 pm »
The short answer is the last version of MAME that will probably work with your old tools, front end, etc is MAME 0.161 which you can easily find  MAME 0.161 ROMS < Fullset ROMs  for a complete  (51.2GB) set.

The long answer is Haze is correct, there are lots of improvements in modern MAME. You will have to get the latest version, find the latest ROMs, and probably update your tools or use workarounds.

Full disclosure: I stopped updating at MAME 0.161

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 10:57:13 pm »
I hate to add to this with another question as it sounds like there is some disagreement on the newest MAME.. as I have not kept up.. when there is mention of Console roms, this would mean the Nintendo games in the VS cabs and such like that, stuff that was in actual arcades? Or have they actually added home console roms to MAME? Forgive me, I am at least 3-4 years behind and the old MAME news sites I did read are all gone nowdays.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:48:54 pm »
when there is mention of Console roms, this would mean the Nintendo games in the VS cabs and such like that, stuff that was in actual arcades? Or have they actually added home console roms to MAME?
As Howard mentioned earlier in the thread, MAME and MESS merged in v0.162 so all of the systems that were in MESS are now part of MAME.

That includes consoles (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis . . .), computers (Apple II, C64, TRS-80 . . .), handheld games, and other assorted systems.

Scott