Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ended: was looking for a digital painter for hire  (Read 4333 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Ended: was looking for a digital painter for hire
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:20:53 pm »
artist has been hired.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:12:55 pm by Le Chuck »

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
Re: Anybody here a digital painter?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:35:04 am »
made me think of vector magic but the image is to small for detail.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:22 am »
Decidedly not what I'm after, which is why I'm offering $$$.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:08:40 pm »
I assume you want a Photoshop rendering not an Inkscape rendering.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:21 pm »
I met a local Professional Artist.. that does some pretty amazing works.

He generally works in Oils...  though, pretty sure he can use almost any medium.   

His paintings tend to be quite large...   and if he is motivated... he can produce an insanely
large painting,  in a ridiculously short time-frame.  He also does Massive Murals.

Not sure of the cost,  or if the style is what you are looking for.

Michael Oosal DeLuca
 http://kungfoosal.wix.com/murality#!about

You should be able to find his facebook too.. with more pictures of his works.

If you are going to spend good money on a painting... its probably best to get a real painter / painting , and not a digital painter.
You wont need to Print it to Canvas. because it will already be on Canvas... and,  the colors will often be 100x better,  that many digital
prints.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:16:59 pm »

If you are going to spend good money on a painting... its probably best to get a real painter / painting , and not a digital painter.

The plan is to share this with others in the airborne community so I'll stick with digital - but thanks for the recommendation of the artist. I'll check him out

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:26:44 pm »
I assume you want a Photoshop rendering not an Inkscape rendering.

I'm unemotional about the program used - I'm very emotional about the end result

To that end whatever the artist is comfortable with I'll be happy with providing I have a nice product at the end of the day

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:41:43 am »

The plan is to share this with others in the airborne community so I'll stick with digital - but thanks for the recommendation of the artist. I'll check him out

Heya Chuck,

Not that I care which way you go...  Just wanted to state,  that any natural media painting can and often IS digitized.
The quality of course, depends on where they get it scanned / photo'd  +  Printed out.

Many advertisements,  book covers, video game box art,  billboards...etc..  all start out in natural media form.
Some will import than digitally,  and may tweak their works... such as adding special lighting effects.

The nice thing about natural media,  is that it intrinsically has much higher value,  as compared to a digital file / printout.
IE... if you were forced to have to sell it... you might make back most or all of your money.

The downside... is that large scale professional level works,  tend to be Very pricey.

Then again... if you want a large scale digital artwork created... its going to need a Lot of detail,  to be able to look decent
at such a size... and that means,  a Lot more time and effort... which may make it cost the same,  if not even more.  Most
especially because natural media paintings can often be painted faster than digital art - due to the fact that digital art programs,
and the lackluster input devices... often are cumbersome,  and clunky.  What they give you in  Undo, Layering, and other
benefits... they take away in flow and speed of creation...  adding anywhere from 5 to 10 times the amount of man-hours
to the finished product.

Also something to consider... is that pure vector art is very different from natural media art... off which your picture is made from.
Vectors are notoriously difficult to make realistic gradients,  and high realism in human form / faces.  Yeah, some people can do
anything... but those same people are typically not "affordable",  and only do work for large scale business commission$.

The larger the painting... the more details.. but also,  the more shading graduations too.   As well as color shifts, if the artists is
actually high level / good.

And finally...

That pic isnt bad... but to note... that a high level artist,  given good creative freedom,  could probably come up with something
far more impressive,  even if its just shading and coloring differences.   To possibly prevent buyers remorse... You might ask for a
few sample sketches,  and quick color concept roughs, before approving a full large scale painting.

Best Regards

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:38:58 pm »
You are also going to have a hard time finding an artist that will straight out copy a work for legal and ethical reasons.  You can probably get someone to do a work in the style of that poster, but not a copy of it. 

I would give it a try for you, but I haven't painted in years and landscapes were my strong suit, not people. 

*edit*

I should also point out that x2 is right.  Myself, I only painted in real life.  The reason is the texture and thickness of brush strokes can't easily be replicated in digital format and I notoriously used a lot of paint in my works to build up texture.  Until they make a tablet and painting program where I can use a fake paint brush on a canvas pad and my brush strokes look real, 3d textures and all, I'm staying away from digital on any serious works. 

That being said, I think a lot of those war propoganda paintings were done either in watercolor or with drafter's tools and that can sometimes be done reliably in photoshop or what have you. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:44:16 pm by Howard_Casto »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 03:10:03 pm »
Artist has been hired.

You are also going to have a hard time finding an artist that will straight out copy a work for legal and ethical reasons. 

I just want to address this to despell misinformation.

These recruitment posters are all public domain. They do not contain any of the seals, logos, or word marks protected by the DoD trademark or Army trademark office.

The image is being produced in good faith to honor and show support for the military.

There is no ethical or legal implication to commissioning a copy.

Furthermore, while I plan to use this privately, if I did want to use it professionally I qualify as a representative of the federal entity in question.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:38:10 pm by Le Chuck »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Ended: was looking for a digital painter for hire
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
Ok, then it's just an ethical problem.  You aren't supposed to plagiarize someone else's work.   You should have learned that in elementary school man.  Now if the army owned the rights to the image and in an official capacity commissioned the work that might make it a little better. 

I wouldn't have responded if you hadn't made it a point to call me out like you think that me stating the obvious was somehow "misinformation" but since you did....

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:06 pm »
Howard. I am an Army Public Affairs Officer. This is all vetted and in the clear. Do you think I would put my career at risk?

The only way there could be an ethical issue would be if I tried to pass the work off as an original. As a credited reproduction, which it will be, there is literally no ethical or moral issue.

I represent the Army for a living.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 07:36:07 pm »
I wish I had a picture of a cat wearing a tie right now.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 07:37:21 pm »
%Bartop

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 08:12:58 pm »
I am an Army Public Affairs Officer. This is all vetted and in the clear. Do you think I would put my career at risk?

Have you checked to see if there are any of the old prints or files from the original run laying around in storage somewhere ?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:35:37 pm »
Artist has been hired.

*talking out his ass* 

I just want to address this to despell misinformation.
This line needs to follow every Howard post. The guy is a conduit of misinformation and nothing but verbal diarrhea comes out of his pie hole.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:48:06 pm »

Have you checked to see if there are any of the old prints or files from the original run laying around in storage somewhere ?

Yes, but no dice so far. I’ve been in one of the Army’s archives for a unit that specialized in the production of this stuff hunting for it but haven’t found it yet. When I move to DC I’ll take a tour of the LoC and see what I can dig up, but the historians I’ve consulted posit that few if any survived and are likely in private hands.

Most of these materials were printed on cheap poster stock, folded, and sent out in mailers. If you find originals they almost always have folds and pinholes.

Now the original prints which were sometimes retained by the artist, can go for tens of thousands depending on the piece, while original mailers go for a few hundred to a few thousand. They are almost always linen backed for preservation.

These posters have a rich history, I’m just trying to bring a lost one back to life as it’s very meaningful to me. This particular one, a reliable dealer believes it was a tin print which would make it much rarer (local production only, far fewer produced). That likely accounts for its rarity.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:53:32 pm by Le Chuck »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 10:41:55 pm »
It’s a cool picture, share the end result with us when the reproduction is done.

:cheers: