Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Moving to DC this summer  (Read 1981 times)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Moving to DC this summer
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:07:55 pm »
Yay for an itinerant lifestyle!

So after a year in KS we are going to be moving to the DC metro area. I have a job waiting for me in the Arlington area. At a minimum it should stabilize me for 2 years but there are a ton of jobs in the surrounding area for me so sticking there longer shouldn't be too much of an issue. Wife and I are seriously considering homesteading in that area, at least until the kids are through with school since the Deaf schools there are superb. I can retire in 4 years and then picking up a civilian job in the area shouldn't be an issue either considering my background.

So...who lives in the Capitol region? Looking for recommendations on where to live (we like yards) but don't like long commutes. Any arcade type hangouts or FB clubs etc. Things to avoid, things to look for...any recommendations welcome. 

Slotman2012

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2022, 09:14:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Moving to DC this summer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:43:12 pm »
That is great you are moving out this way. I live a bit north of there but good luck finding a place with a yard and not a long commute unless you got some good coin.  Its not cheap in the dmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:53:35 pm »
I worked in Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia and lived in Alexandria. It's pricey, but I loved Del Ray: https://www.visitalexandriava.com/plan/neighborhoods/del-ray/

You want to drive a little? Crofton Maryland is your classic suburbia type. Many people on my team still work in Springfield, VA and it's pretty much the same for them. Where you live is dictated by how much driving you can tolerate.

You can live a little further out, if you keep it close to a metro line stop, but you'll find it's pretty expensive if you live close to any of the stops. Have fun, it's a great place to live. Always something to see or do.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:23:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, good stuff. Still in the research phase so everything is useful!