Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows 7/Bluetooth/TouchJams issue  (Read 3471 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Windows 7/Bluetooth/TouchJams issue
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:12:12 pm »
I'm at a loss here guys and thought I would post.
I've got an all in 1 Gateway 23" touchscreen PC. I'm running Windows 7, and the latest version of Touchjams.
The PC itself is not Bluetooth, but I purchased an inexpensive transmitter and receiver off Ebay.
Everything WAS working fine! Now the PC does pair with the receiver, I've tested it both from the PC and my phone.
I hear the PC sounds and I can play Youtube and it works no problem.
But I'm thinking since I upgraded to the latest TouchJams the issue has presented itself.
When I put on the PC (which boots right to TJams) the audio will always play from the PC speakers despite the Bluetooth being on.
I'm lost....any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all

EDIT - I do ensure that when I go downstairs (where the jukebox PC is) that I turn off the Bluetooth on my phone (and any other devices) that may conflict with the pairing.

I've attached an image of the receiver I use also.

EDIT - Seems that since I upgraded Touchjams, TJams wont work with the Bluetooth.
So for example, if the PC is on, as is Bluetooth and I go to play a video, or YouTube it will come out via the Bluetooth adapter (to my stereo or headphones).
But when TJams is running it will only come out of the PC speakers, furthermore when the Bluetooth is on TJams comes out at one volume and the volume controls don't work. So even if I turn it up/down...no change !

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:22:36 pm by mike boss »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Windows 7/Bluetooth/TouchJams issue
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:36:23 pm »
This is more with how windows 7 handles sound devices now.

You can maybe try connecting your bluetooth device, then right click your speaker on the taskbar and select "playback devices" and selecting your bluetooth device as the default audio device. This may force your program to play through it.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »
The PC itself (the jukebox as I call it) is probably used 50% of the time without the Bluetooth being on, and the other 50% of the time with the Bluetooth on. If I'm downstairs just messing around I'll turn on the Jukebox and just play from the builtin PC speakers. But when I have people over, or if the kids are having a dance party I'll turn on the Bluetooth.

Previously if you didn't have the Bluetooth on, you'd have no issues. Audio would play from the PC. If you had the Bluetooth on, no configuration, no clicking, the PC would simply pair and out would come the music to my audio system.

Now however none of this is working. And I've done nothing different on/to the PC, with the exception of upgrading TouchJams.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:42:53 pm »
I contacted Bob (the master behind Touch Jams). He suggested running TJ in Windows compatibility mode. Ia did that, however it did not solve the problem. If I disable the builtin speakers and enable the Bluetooth headset I'll get the audio from my Bluetooth. But I have to keep selecting onboard speakers/Bluetooth option. It's a pain! Previously it just worked....I've got no idea what has happened.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:05:34 am »
This problem still persists on my PC.
I feel it is directly related to the upgraded version of TouchJams.
YouTube (for example) will come out of the headphones (or anything connected to the Bluetooth receiver) when powered on and paired. But TouchJams will not.

As noted, prior you would turn on the PC and TouchJams, or any audio would come from the PC speakers (as this is an all in one PC.) If you had turned on the Bluetooth receiver prior to powering on the PC, the two would automatically pair and the music would be sent to the receiver. Now that isn't the case.

I ran TJ in Windows 7 compatibility mode, that did not help. I've ordered some other Bluetooth transmitters/receivers to test.

Fingers crossed I can get this working as it was.

matura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2018, 02:48:14 pm
    • TouchJams
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 03:10:14 pm »
Mike,

TouchJams 3.5.1.0 December 29, 2017 had with the new feature to configure the output device (Options/Sound/Volume - Output Device - Configure.

I did a little Bluetooth test with what I have (Win10 tablet/Bose SoundLink).  I booted the tablet and made sure it was paired with the speaker - adjusting the Windows volume via taskbar made sounds over the speaker.  Next, I started TouchJams, played a song, and the output was going through the internal tablet speakers.  I went to TJs Options and looked at the output device settings, the tablet speakers were selected as the output device.  I changed this to the Bose speakers, everything works fine.

Let me know if you can't make any further progress on this.

- Bob Matura
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:12:20 pm by matura »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 05:28:17 pm »
I meant to update this thread.
Bob helped me to get this problem solved.
Everything is working as it did.

Now I'm just looking for a better Bluetooth receiver. I picked up two different ones recently (when I was unaware of what caused the issue), but my TouchJams PC isn't pairing with them. I'm thinking of just investing in a nice Bluetooth speaker.

With  my existing Bluetooth receiver  everything works well, but often you get distortion. I figured a newer device might be better, make a better connection. But the PC is giving me an issue pairing with them............nothing to do with TouchJams in this instance.

I'm sure I'll solve it. I tested the devices with my phone and I paired successfully.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:46 am »
As noted, previously I would power on my TouchJams PC, and it the audio would play
from the built in speakers. If I had turned on my Bluetooth receiver automatically
it would connect and the audio would come thru my existing audio system.
This was perfect, and exactly what I wanted. In the recent build something had changed,
but with the help of Bob (who's awesome BTW) this was resolved.

With that solved I'm now trying to improve my Bluetooth connectivity.
It's funny, all be it the Jukebox PC is about 10 feet (at most) away from my 5.1 audio
receiver I get a bad connection. Lots of static and distortion. Yet, yesterday I'm in the
driveway (in my wife's car), she's in the house, upstairs making a call and her car Bluetooth
was picking up the call. Yet 10 feet away I get issues ! I know metal could be an issue, and the
audio receiver being metal could be a factor ?

I've been trying a combination of Bluetooth receivers and transmitters. One of which plugs into
the headphone jack, or external speaker connection. I did notice I have to enable it for the audio
to be sent out from the ports. But that can be done on the fly, and all I need to do is make the change,
then close and re-open TouchJams and the music will be sent out. All be it not automatic, still easy enough.

Now I just need to improve the signal. I use a simple USB Bluetooth transmitter, I pair that will a Bluetooth
receiver. I have a iPod dock that is hooked up to my existing audio system. There is a simple 3.5mm headphone
plug that plugged into the iPod dock. I use that connection and plug in the Bluetooth receiver.
What I've gone ahead and done now is order a 6ft extension cable for the receiver. Since the receiver is connected
in a built-in-shelving unit I'm thinking that is causing the connectivity issue ? I'm hoping this $4 fix solves my issue.

While I wait for the part to arrive I'm going to continue testing.
I want to see what receiver works best with what transmitter.
I want to see which pair easily. However, should all go well I'm hoping extending the connection form the existing
3.5mm jack, so perhaps I can even lay it on the floor, the non-obstruction may help bridge a better connection.