Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newb Questions  (Read 2609 times)

Martin0037

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2018, 05:47:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newb Questions
« on: February 16, 2018, 05:11:41 pm »
(Split from the driving cab info thread by BadMouth)

Hi all...  must say, this thread is great btw, thanks Badmouth and everyone else, it’s cleared up quite a few things I needed to know about my build, but just need a bit of advise if possible...

I’m wanting to build a 3 player driving cab as Im a fan of super off road, but I also want to be able to play outrun, chase hq, pole position, and maybe some model 2 games like Daytona.  I need a shifter that’s an all rounder,  I know I could use a sequential shifter and use the H2Seq to be able to sequential shift in Daytona etc (like this idea the best) as also i can use the shifter to rotate the hyperspin wheel.   A normal outrun hi/low shifter isn’t going to work for sequential shifting in Daytona or virtua racing. The only other option is a H gate, but no good for the hyperspin wheel. Don’t want loads of buttons on the cab.

The main thing...  I’m just not sure about the steering, am I right in thinking for most games 270 wheel is best, but will this not work for super off road?  If not it’s defeating the object.  Or will a 360 wheel be best for all, not ideal in some games but will it work for pretty much all racing games?    I’ve got another cab with a spinner and the 6inch steering wheel. It works ok but as it’s only small it’s nothimg like a full size arcade wheel.

Any advise is welcome.
Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:04:43 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
Re: Newb Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »
Offroad is playable with a 270 degree wheel.  Not optimal, but useable. 
Pole Position is unplayable with a 270 degree wheel.
Some have made cabs with only 360 degree wheels.  Hopefully they'll chime in on what 270 degree games they could and couldn't get working.
If I could only have one, it would be a 270 degree setup.

I can't comment on H2Seq.  It's been forever since I experimented with it.
Hopefully someone who is actually using it on their setup can help you out.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:20:19 pm »
Re the shifter: what is the actual question? I'm using a sequential just fine with H2SEQ and everything else you list. I don't see, though, why you couldn't use an h-gate to deliver inputs to HS somehow?

Martin0037

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2018, 05:47:15 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:32:11 pm »
Thanks for replying guys and sorry for the late reply...  was expecting an email but prob not set up.

I’ve gone for a sequential shifter (return to centre).   

The problem is at minute (with a 360 wheel) the floating centre problem. I’ve downloaded geecabs hacked mame that fixes this - http://www.mediafire.com/file/ytny3pbql7odn2u/mame_0148_geecab_hack_v1_0.zip

It’s really good, solves the main problem I’m having with a 360 wheel.  If you oversteer for example by 2 turns left, you have to turn right 2 turns to get the centre point back.  Think it resets the centre point on rom startup.

Works really well. It is however an older version of mame and some games like ridge racer don’t seem to work (think ridge racer was 0.159?)   

I’ve seen another different way this has been done also.....  here:    

Again, this method looks pretty sweet and looks like it’s done the job,  i commented on the video and he was good enough to reply straight away. I just can’t get my head around exactly what he means and how to do this?

Also this method, which uses ppjoy and ppmouse, I’m not familiar with either but here’s the link - http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65327&title=chase-hq-as-mame-driving-cab

Unless there’s a simpler way I’m missing?   Has anyone tried either of these?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 01:22:59 pm »
...  was expecting an email but prob not set up.

I don't understand why people PM me with questions instead of just creating a post in the forum.
The community as a whole is much more likely to reply sooner and a PM isn't going to help anyone else who is looking for the same information.

Also, I have little free time and have moved onto other interests so I'm not as active on here as I used to be.
(and my knowledge is becoming outdated)