Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plastic/aluminum control panels for Sanwa buttons  (Read 2019 times)

gutterstuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:08:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Plastic/aluminum control panels for Sanwa buttons
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:59:25 am »
Hey everyone,

Because there's a market for pretty much everything these days, I figured that a guy building a cabinet with clip-in Sanwa parts might be able to find pre-fabricated 1/8 inch panels somewhere online. With the popularity of Hori sticks, swap-able buttons and Pi arcade building, I thought it would be best to ask folks here if they've seen anything in the wild.

I'm not particular about the layout (joystick, 8 button perhaps?) but I am sick of seeking out hard to find 1/8 sheets of aluminum when there's probably a fast and easy Ebay solution out there.

Thanks everyone,

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:08:39 pm by nitrogen_widget »

gutterstuff

• Offline Offline
Re: Plastic/aluminum control panels for Sanwa buttons
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:07:56 am »
Oh wow -- I would have just assumed that to ship aluminum sheets it would be far more expensive. Thanks so much -- do you have a picture of how you used either on your cab?

Cheers!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:15:59 pm »
In addition to the ones nitrogen_widget posted they also have Blank panels that do not have any button holes drilled so you can make your own layout for $23 + $12 SHipping-- https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDWAY-UR-CONTROL-PANEL-BLANK-MULTICADE-DRILL-YOUR-OWN-HOLES/380599924854?hash=item589d85f876:g:xjAAAOSwGIRXZz4N

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:51:09 pm »
Arcade panels generally are not aluminum, they are steel or wood. Sometimes they have an aluminum overlay though.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:37 pm »
Arcade panels generally are not aluminum, they are steel or wood. Sometimes they have an aluminum overlay though.

This is very true, aluminum is a soft metal and even 1/8 can bend with a bit of pressure.

When I used to do custom arcade sticks I would make the top panel out of wood and put an overlay of 1/8 plexiglass on top of that, the plexi glass would hold the Sanwas in fine and the wood would support them...

gutterstuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »
When I used to do custom arcade sticks I would make the top panel out of wood and put an overlay of 1/8 plexiglass on top of that, the plexi glass would hold the Sanwas in fine and the wood would support them...

This is very much my approach, but in the case of my current cab, it has 3/4 risers in the centre that won't accommodate plexi -- that, and I'm going for a sexeh matte finish this time around.

Thanks everyone.